The Brexit Thread - Page 49 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

26 minutes ago, exile said:

Ha ha did not realize that was a link after the mega sizing and bold and font and background highlights.

But anyway how can you post that shite when it starts with this?

For those beyond Brussels and London, maybe just starting to tune in, here’s some advice. Let go of any illusions that this drama is about trade protocols, residency rights or the status of the Irish border. The histrionics going on in the United Kingdom aren't even really about its impending departure from the European Union — or about Prime Minister Theresa May’s tenuous attempts to cling to power.

Brexit is the story of a proud former imperial power undergoing a mid-life crisis. The rest of the world is left listening to Britain’s therapy session as they drone on about their ex-spouse, the EU: When will they stop talking and just move on?

All those folk that endured the referendum campaigning and voting to be reduced to this arse gravy?

Fuck off (edit: to the author) . It is democracy you cunt. (note the lack of a big font there.)

edit: no wait.

Fuck off, it is democracy you cunt

Edited by thplinth

22 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

:lol:

The Guardian is 2 days away from this being their lead story 

I haven't been reading much of the Guardian recently but I remember at the time of the referendum it was as predictable as the Mail or Express in the other direction

12 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Ha ha did not realize that was a link after the mega sizing and bold and font and background highlights.

But anyway how can you post that shite when it starts with this?

All those folk that endured the referendum campaigning and voting to be reduced to this arse gravy?

Fuck off (edit: to the author) . It is democracy you cunt. (note the lack of a big font there.)

edit: no wait.

Fuck off, it is democracy you cunt

I just thought the title was catchy, like "too wee, too poor, too stupid", so it invites taking a look.

Though your version has a ring to it too. :lol:

Don't know why the grey formatting got pasted but couldn't be bothered undoing it.  

It is Britain’s unique ignorance that makes Britain so boring. 

While many Brits have strong emotions about the EU, they rarely have a strong understanding. I feel like a kindergarten teacher every time I speak on the issue.

Just a couple of amusing quotes from that shite above.

The guy who wrote that self indulgent wank off garbage is a paid shill or one of the biggest arseholes imaginable. Read it, it is comical but this is now increasingly masquerading as journalism.

We decided it was ok to live in post fact checking world and here we are!

7 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The guy who wrote that self indulgent wank off garbage is a paid shill or one of the biggest arseholes imaginable. Read it, it is comical but this is now increasingly masquerading as journalism.

While many Brits have strong emotions about the EU, they rarely have a strong understanding. I feel like a kindergartenteacher every time I speak on the issue.

Lovely chap 

We are in this mess because of the two main parties desire for votes and power

A decision like this should never have been made on an advisory referendum ......and it's the same with Scottish Independence

If a party wants to have leaving the EU as it's policy then it has to be out with no deal in it's manifesto

Other parties can have remain

There should be no in between

The same with Scottish Independence - It should be won on a majority of pro Independence MPs or MSPs

No more referendums

6 hours ago, thplinth said:

Surely he's not a real journalist. It reads like a blog post or a drunken ancedote on here. 

Can't believe that was published.

His message isn't necessarily wrong in places though, just it's a terribly written piece.

13 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

While many Brits have strong emotions about the EU, they rarely have a strong understanding. I feel like a kindergartenteacher every time I speak on the issue.

Lovely chap 

Whilst he is undoubtably  patronising, he isnt wrong. I doubt 20% of UK adults understand the EU, good or bad. 

Doesnt mean they are stupid, probably just uninterested .

14 hours ago, thplinth said:

The Phoenix option. Burn everything to the ground to encourage a rebirth, green shoots, new ideas, new approach (mixing metaphors here but you get the idea). It is sort of burning down your house in the hope a new one will then manifest. Tactically it is like calling in an airstrike on your own position as you are being overrun. So I am not sure it could ever be described as a positive, intended or otherwise... Whatever emerges is naturally quite thin, flimsy in comparison.

Salmond is gone and I think we lack any real depth to the SNP bench despite all the MPs now.  In fact worse he may have left latent 79 group ideas unbridled in charge. i.e. 'Lets tack left to gain votes...' I think this is Nicola's natural inclination every time.

I'm not saying they burnt the house down deliberately. The positive (IMO) outcome was just a consequence of the failures of the old guard in 1979. It allowed the new kids on the block to get their feet under the table and start to change the direction of the party much sooner than would have been possible if the SNP had retained their 11 seats.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Whilst he is undoubtably  patronising, he isnt wrong. I doubt 20% of UK adults understand the EU, good or bad. 

Doesnt mean they are stupid, probably just uninterested .

I wouldn't even put it as high as that.  I'd like to think that I'm fairly politically engaged but my knowledge of the EU and it's institutions is sketchy at best.  Out of my immediate group of friends, I think there's only one who doesn't have an even sketchier understanding than I do and he's a politics graduate.

A big part of the problem is that for the last forty years politicians of all parties - and eagerly assisted by the media - have been happy to characterise the EU as something that happens *over* there *to* us.

The glaringly obvious thing I get from Brexiteers, I come across a lot of them from south of the border while working offshore on multiple platforms, is the ignorance with immigration. 

They think that stopping freedom of movement means immigration will stop. 

Dah!

36 minutes ago, antidote said:

The glaringly obvious thing I get from Brexiteers, I come across a lot of them from south of the border while working offshore on multiple platforms, is the ignorance with immigration. 

Dah!

This is the key thing.  

They should really publish the EU vs Non-EU immigration figures as headline news every day.  It shows quite clearly that the UK Government (driven by business in the UK) has no appetite to reduce immigration. If they did, the non-EU immigration would have been the low-hanging fruit to cut the numbers. Instead, numbers of non-EU immigrants has soared.

All the while the Government collect the additional tax revenue (from the net contributors) and UK Businesses coin it in from a combination of highly skilled and low-skilled workers. Then when the Government don't build enough schools, houses or health services to support the public, people point an accusatory finger at the immigrants rather than realising it's the UK Government have collected tax revenue and failed to adequately redistribute the wealth. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

45 minutes ago, antidote said:

Dah!

Case in point...

19 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

This is the key thing.  

They should really publish the EU vs Non-EU immigration figures as headline news every day.  It shows quite clearly that the UK Government (driven by business in the UK) has no appetite to reduce immigration. If they did, the non-EU immigration would have been the low-hanging fruit to cut the numbers. Instead, numbers of non-EU immigrants has soared.

All the while the Government collect the additional tax revenue (from the net contributors) and UK Businesses coin it in from a combination of highly skilled and low-skilled workers. Then when the Government don't build enough schools, houses or health services to support the public, people point an accusatory finger at the immigrants rather than realising it's the UK Government have collected tax revenue and failed to adequately redistribute the wealth. 

This. This. This.

Non-EU migration is almost as high as EU migration (might actually be higher). EU migration is pointed at so easily as it's largely unregulated and unusually lower skilled workers that arrive in Britain. However, these are people who are in work, largely doing jobs that many in Britain wouldn't want to do in the first place. Most EU migrants are net contributors anyway, so bring in much more money than without them. 

The failures of successive governments that has caused the big problems that we see in the UK today, not the EU or migration.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I wouldn't even put it as high as that.  I'd like to think that I'm fairly politically engaged but my knowledge of the EU and it's institutions is sketchy at best.  Out of my immediate group of friends, I think there's only one who doesn't have an even sketchier understanding than I do and he's a politics graduate.

A big part of the problem is that for the last forty years politicians of all parties - and eagerly assisted by the media - have been happy to characterise the EU as something that happens *over* there *to* us.

Yes, media to blame for this.  look at the coverage of US Elections compared to EU Elections,   

Even the better media do it, Channel 4 news etc.....  

it has been like this for years and is getting worse IMO

The current migrant crisis is exacerbated by the wars in the middle east, we provide tacit support for and sell all the weapons for. So itys only fitting we have to house all the folk we bombed.

Weirdly before I wrote this post i went and skimmed through the UN Reports for Migration in 2016/17 (latest figures) The "the state of palestine" is in the UN report but by the time it is reproduced in wikipedia Palestine is no longer in the narrative, just a random find that I found interesting as Palestine is currently being written out of history.

I suspect that migration is being used as a means to divide and conquer folk. What happened in Libya and what’s happening in Syria etc isn’t mistakes and there’s a lot of political gain to be had from it.

Im neither pro or anti migration but can see why folk can fall into either category. 

6 minutes ago, phart said:

Weirdly before I wrote this post i went and skimmed through the UN Reports for Migration in 2016/17 (latest figures) The "the state of palestine" is in the UN report but by the time it is reproduced in wikipedia Palestine is no longer in the narrative, just a random find that I found interesting as Palestine is currently being written out of history.

That'll be because Wikipedia is an American site and the Americans would defend Israel if it nuked Palestine.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

This is the fundamental reason why the majority of UK citizens eligible to vote in the 2016 referendum were not qualified to make an informed decision on whether or not remaining or leaving was the better option.

21 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

That'll be because Wikipedia is an American site and the Americans would defend Israel if it nuked Palestine.

That theatre is going to open again soon. Possible early elections. All the weapons shipped into Syria to depose Assad are being sent into Palestine, so they actually have real rockets now (warhead and propulsion system, as opposed to the fireworks with a bomb on the end), so any ground excursions will be costly for Israel.

Total clusterfuck, but that's what happenes when you have MP#s totally in the pockets of arms companies.

The comedian Mark Thomas has been going on about this for best part of 15 years since i came across him.