The Brexit Thread - Page 46 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

She has to go no two ways about it. She should have gone after Project Windrush scandal for me. 

However, as for Brexit discussions it surely changes nothing as the EU are not open to renegotiation on the deal on the table. Therefore whoever takes over has two options and one far out option. The two options are to try to push through the May deal or to resort to a no deal Brexit. The far out option is agreeing to a people's referendum. Another option I suppose would be to withdraw Article 50 and have another fresh referendum in two or three years time and then, surely, fresh negotiations with the EU would need to take place. 

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

I dont think the snp are ready for another GE, i hope she hangs on

Aren't they? All opinion polls on the next GE I have seen show the SNP picking up more seats ranging from 10 to 15. And if there were a GE the Tories certainly ain't ready and Labour are in disarray. The SNP are by far the most ready. 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Aren't they? All opinion polls on the next GE I have seen show the SNP picking up more seats ranging from 10 to 15. And if there were a GE the Tories certainly ain't ready and Labour are in disarray. The SNP are by far the most ready. 

Labour will surprise folk scotland unfortunately 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

48 letters is enough to get a vote. 48 isn't nearly enough to get rid of her. 

She'll survive the vote easily. I don't think there's enough support to oust her from Conservative MPs. It'll take over 100 MPs to vote against her for her to even consider resigning.

37 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Even if the Tories vote to remove May tonight it doesn't result in a GE. 

It would only be a no-confidence vote - which Labour are deliberating over - that would potentially collapse the Government. 

I think she'll win the vote tonight anyway but who knows what happens after that. 

24 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Even if the Tories vote to remove May tonight it doesn't result in a GE. 

It would only be a no-confidence vote - which Labour are deliberating over - that would potentially collapse the Government. 

I think she'll win the vote tonight anyway but who knows what happens after that. 

Spot on Alfie Moon.

Today is all about Tory Leadership and nothing to do with a General Election. It would have needed Labour to table a vote of no confidence in the government and for it to be supported by a majority of the house for a general election to be triggered.

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

My local party were told to start campaigning after the new year a few weeks back. 

They’ve not been told if it’s for either a GE or indy ref. 

I suppose no one knows at this stage considering if May could get her bill through or not  

If a GE is called, or if there’s a change of leadership, then an Indy referendum will be put on the back burner, imo, for 6 months or so to see if the SNP can get the dream ticket of Boris Johnson as PM. 

1 minute ago, antidote said:

My local party were told to start campaigning after the new year a few weeks back. 

They’ve not been told if it’s for either a GE or indy ref. 

I suppose no one knows at this stage considering if May could get her bill through or not  

If a GE is called, or if there’s a change of leadership, then an Indy referendum will be put on the back burner, imo, for 6 months or so to see if the SNP can get the dream ticket of Boris Johnson as PM. 

I would say there is more of a chance it would be for another indyref as Brexit deal is due to be signed off by the end of March (if there is to be one). A General Election conceivably does not need to happen for about another four years.

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would say there is more of a chance it would be for another indyref as Brexit deal is due to be signed off by the end of March (if there is to be one). A General Election conceivably does not need to happen for about another four years.

Preparation for both scenarios is the point I was making. 

Edited by antidote

she’ll survive and her EU deal will be rejected by Parliament. She’s actually a Remainer so i think she will revoke article 50 rather than be responsible for a hard Brexit. The ERG will be all for hard Brexit to avoid the EU coming after their offshore avoided taxes. Unbelievably, I’m hoping for a May win in the absence of a credible Remain challenger.