The Brexit Thread - Page 29 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What a walloper.

It is not real. http://newsthump.com/2017/08/02/tighter-border-controls-should-not-apply-when-im-going-on-holiday-insists-angry-brexiter/

edit: People's vote is used to suggest it was not the people who voted for it the first place.

Edited by thplinth

54 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Cmon now politics is all about helping the working class, unless they vote the wrong way, then they should be mocked and insulted. 

No it sounds to me that he wants to come and go as he pleases but put restraints on others travel. Others who, by his estimation/choice should have restrictions. Or in other words one rule for one and one rule for another. 

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No it sounds to me that he wants to come and go as he pleases but put restraints on others travel. Others who, by his estimation/choice should have restrictions. Or in other words one rule for one and one rule for another. 

Think it’s satire. But having a go at folk who voted leave. 

41 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Think it’s satire. But having a go at folk who voted leave. 

It is one those memes that fall into the category "Its funny because it's true"

7 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Only if the vote goes the wrong way. There would be no people’s vote if remain won 

If Remain had won, by a similar margin to Leave winning, or even 55-45, then it's almost certain that the Leave side would press for a re-run. Not immediately because Remain means business as usual (as did the No in 2014) not requiring additional deals or options to be voted on. But sooner or later, just as indy supporters knew 45-55 was close enough for the dream to live on. 

In fact, Farage specifically said so, that there would be an "unstoppable demand for a re-run of the EU referendum if Remain wins by a narrow margin "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

13 minutes ago, exile said:

If Remain had won, by a similar margin to Leave winning, or even 55-45, then it's almost certain that the Leave side would press for a re-run. Not immediately because Remain means business as usual (as did the No in 2014) not requiring additional deals or options to be voted on. But sooner or later, just as indy supporters knew 45-55 was close enough for the dream to live on. 

In fact, Farage specifically said so, that there would be an "unstoppable demand for a re-run of the EU referendum if Remain wins by a narrow margin "

Don’t agree, don’t think there would have been much mainstream support for another referendum if remain won. 

13 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Don’t agree, don’t think there would have been much mainstream support for another referendum if remain won. 

Hmm, I'd be inclined to take Nige at his word on this particular occasion, that the Leave side would be emboldened by a narrow defeat, and there would have been a helluva push for another one, sooner or later, remembering that at the time UKIP were on an upward trajectory snapping at Tory heels (and Labour ones) all over the shop, with a huge popular vote in 2015 that translated into only one seat - a democratic deficit that would not go away in a hurry; Cameron had a small majority that would be under threat from defection to UKIP by disgruntled Leavers at any time.... That is all speculation of course... but a curious reminder that if Remain had won Cameron would still be in power, mid term, with a couple of years away from the next GE...  and indyref2 would be on the back burner for the foreseeable future

Edited by exile

40 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Take 2 was their plan all along. They themselves underestimated how easy it would be to dog whistle the xenophobic cunts into their nefarious enterprise. Not a clue what to do about it when they won 😂

36 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

You would have had the Sun, The Mail and Express on a daily rampage until another vote was called. Only pausing for the anniversary of Diana’s death and the birth of a new Royal baby. 

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You would have had the Sun, The Mail and Express on a daily rampage until another vote was called. Only pausing for the anniversary of Diana’s death and the birth of a new Royal baby. 

Even so I can’t imagine much political clout behind it, but again it’s speculation so who knows. 

15 hours ago, exile said:

i don't see anything wrong with that.  if people that want a rerun of a vote get the votes for it in an election- they should be allowed to press for it.  

3 hours ago, exile said:

They say nothing is agreed until everything is agreed . So 95% settled is meaningless if the last 5% involves not just the Irish border but European fleet access to British Seas... 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/07/crunch-cabinet-meeting-over-theresa-may-brexit-deal-delayed-amid-row

It seems clear to me that the deal they hope to sign off will not meet with approval with some in the cabinet hence the legal terms of it are not even being released to Tory party members. Sounds like trying to pull the wool over their eyes and hope to get the deal passed without any questions (which they don't have answers to) being asked.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I wonder how many leading Tories would be quite happy to see a hard border in Ireland?

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/11/the-price-of-peace/

Don't know, but I think Murray overstates the determination of the Tories to cling on to NI. A pretty high proportion of Tories would be happy to lose NI as a price of Brexit. 

In effect there is a limit to the resolve of Unionism, in England probably overstated. But it hasn't been put to the test... yet. 

Edited by exile

8 hours ago, FuNsTeR said:

a massive spanner in Brexit from Scotland ... latest court ruling we are going to the ECJ

https://sputniknews.com/europe/201811081069625806-scotland-court-brexit/

Huge implications.
If parliament rejects Theresa Mays 'bad deal' then they likely wont be bound by no-deal.

BBC not reporting this ruling either ;)
However UK government losing court case under Scots law doesn't make for good headlines.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/08/uk-cannot-stop-brexit-article-50-case-going-to-ecj-says-scottish-court

15 minutes ago, exile said:

Don't know, but I think Murray overstates the determination of the Tories to cling on to NI. A pretty high proportion of Tories would be happy to lose NI as a price of Brexit. 

In effect there is a limit to the resolve of Unionism, in England probably overstated. But it hasn't been put to the test... yet. 

I think a lot of it is to do with pride.  I think if they could get rid of NI without it looking like they'd "lost" it., then most would be happy to see it go.    Also, if it wasn't that they were dependent on the DUP votes then the deal would have been done already with the customs border in the Irish Sea.

Edited by aaid

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think a lot of it is to do with pride.  I think if they could get rid of NI without it looking like they'd "lost" it., then most would be happy to see it go.    Also, if it wasn't that they were dependent on the DUP votes then the deal would have been done already with the customs border in the Irish Sea.

Absolutely. And some would say the same of Scotland.  

29 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Huge implications.
If parliament rejects Theresa Mays 'bad deal' then they likely wont be bound by no-deal.

BBC not reporting this ruling either ;)
However UK government losing court case under Scots law doesn't make for good headlines.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/08/uk-cannot-stop-brexit-article-50-case-going-to-ecj-says-scottish-court

TBF, it'll only be really big news once the ECJ opines.