The Brexit Thread - Page 26 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

Sunday Times reporting Mundell & Davidson threatening to resign if NI treated differently for #Brexit fearing that Scotland would demand same. In other words they actually want their UK party to impose massive job losses & economic damage on the country they are elected to serve

26 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Sunday Times reporting Mundell & Davidson threatening to resign if NI treated differently for #Brexit fearing that Scotland would demand same. In other words they actually want their UK party to impose massive job losses & economic damage on the country they are elected to serve

The tweet under that annoys me, stealing a Sagan quote without attribution making a point also stolen from him.

The other news is anyone surprised. Davidson especially.

15 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Hearing that theres a deal to be confirmed tommorow, it has been leaked through the eu side

15 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Meeting was supposed to be end of next week followed by a final one in November

Interesting rumour but unlikely particulary with the Ulster bigot bumping her gums only a few hours ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/13/leaked-emails-dup-arlene-foster-no-deal-brexit-most-likely-outcome-eu?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Am now also hearing of a Canada/Korea style deal tonight not to be made public

EU summit Wednesday then HOC vote on deal

Blackford meeting Barnier on 25th October

DUP not happy and vote against Hammond's budget resulting in GE ?

Edited by Ally Bongo

I really should just start believing everything HL says from now on

Reuters: Diplomatic Sources say the EU Ambassadors of the remaining 27 member states have been summoned to a Brexit meeting in Brussels at 5.30pm

No breakthrough

The DUP along with Scottish bigots Davidson and Mundell have scuppered it

Talks between Raab and Barnier fail to lead to Brexit breakthrough

46 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

No breakthrough

It seems to be getting down to the nitty gritty, the EU obviously know waht they want however the torys are all over the place, I honestly cant see anything other than a hard brexit and the tory party splitting, we should all be at the ready for a snap GE. Banff and buchan, moray gourdon and aberdeen south will return yellow however you lads in the central belt need to batton down the hatches.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Am now also hearing of a Canada/Korea style deal tonight not to be made public

EU summit Wednesday then HOC vote on deal

Blackford meeting Barnier on 25th October

DUP not happy and vote against Hammond's budget resulting in GE ?

With the Tories apparently ready to split,  can anyone explain the failure of Labour to be well ahead in the polls?

Genuine question. Sticking with the Tories goes well beyond masochism, but many are doing just that. 

9 minutes ago, Padre Andrew said:

With the Tories apparently ready to split,  can anyone explain the failure of Labour to be well ahead in the polls?

Genuine question. Sticking with the Tories goes well beyond masochism, but many are doing just that. 

Pollsters what do they know been slightly inaccurate the last few years in all reality labour should be 20 points ahead but I guess the the public don’t like your man Corbyn that much 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

No breakthrough

Is this the start of Ruthy's leadership bid. Is she really daft enough to try?

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Is this the start of Ruthy's leadership bid. Is she really daft enough to try?

Not a chance

What Davidson and Mundell have done though is put the interests of Northern Ireland over that of Scotland

The SNP should really make hay with this

It's basically them saying "We'll resign if you even give the people of Scotland even an inkling that they could possibly have a better future than a Hard Tory Brexit"

Edited by Ally Bongo

Davidson and Mundell need to be taken to task over this 'resign' threat. Why not seek *the same* differentiated deal for Scotland as that of NI instead of demanding no part of the UK be allowed to partially save itself from Brexit? They are *demanding* we and NI suffer. Patriots?

Theresa making a speech in HOC today

Large numbers of Tory MPs heading into the government Chief Whip offfice just now. I Wonder what that could be about...

I see Farage is on the offensive again, saying he's no longer mr nice guy (!), and caling for Brexit voters to ' “stand up and fight again” as he announced plans to “reactivate the people’s army." '

Will the BBC tell us this ?

Popcorn for Newsnight

EU leaders decide to shelve plans for Brexit summit in November until ‘decisive progress’ is made

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-summit-latest-eu-leaders-november-deal-vote-theresa-may-a8589326.html

On 10/14/2018 at 11:34 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Not a chance

What Davidson and Mundell have done though is put the interests of Northern Ireland over that of Scotland

The SNP should really make hay with this

It's basically them saying "We'll resign if you even give the people of Scotland even an inkling that they could possibly have a better future than a Hard Tory Brexit"

If all the hearsay on this is correct (And Mundell DIDN'T deny it except to say they were threatening resignations yet...), then very clearly the Scottish Tories have taken the DUP position fully as any differential deal that can leave NI in the single market/customs union could then be demanded very legitimately for Scotland as well.

Mundell & Davidson have decided to act to block any such route for Scotland.

Is it a no-deal now actually advantageous to achieving independence? Or does it make it harder? I don't actually know

6 hours ago, buckielugger said:

Is it a no-deal now actually advantageous to achieving independence? Or does it make it harder? I don't actually know

Nobody does know.

If Brexit is a success for the UK it will probably be a hammer blow to the independence cause, but the converse will be true if things get much worse for us after a hard Brexit.

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Will the BBC tell us this ?

Popcorn for Newsnight

EU leaders decide to shelve plans for Brexit summit in November until ‘decisive progress’ is made

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-summit-latest-eu-leaders-november-deal-vote-theresa-may-a8589326.html

No 

Quelle Surprise 

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well France already giving us a glimpse of post-Brexit even if trade deals go well for the UK afterwards. France making it clear that to visit France UK citizens will need visas - that will not go down well. An inconvenience that will grate with many and no doubt that will be the case across Europe.

Stop being so negative. We will get Duty Free back.

Re the Irish border...

No one wants a hard border...

The EU suggested keeping Northern Ireland in the Customs Union + Single Market (drawing a line down the Irish Sea), but the Tory's and the DUP have rejected that idea...

Have the Tory's and the DUP actually suggested a 3rd way?

Have I missed it?

25 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Re the Irish border...

The EU suggested keeping Northern Ireland in the Customs Union + Single Market (drawing a line down the Irish Sea), but the Tory's and the DUP have rejected that idea...

Have I missed it?

No you've not missed it - Moggy and his loonies propose  an as yet undesigned/unspecified technical solution...The DUP couldn't give a toss and Treesa just goes "la-la-la-la" so it will go away.

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Re the Irish border...

Have I missed it?

As I see it, you could have

1. all UKGBNI in SM+CU;

2. or just NI;

3. the third way is a no SM/CU, no deal, hard border hard Brexit. 

The first will shaft the Rees Moggs, the 2nd will shaft the DUP and Scottish ultra unionists, and the 3rd will shaft everyone else. 

Our dear leader has still to tell us who she is going to shaft.

I would guess the first, or else collapse the government in which case who would Corbyn do? Many of his core supporters are Leavers. Could he be tempted to do 2? A federal union by accident? 

Edited by exile

As I suspected.

The Tory's and DUP rule things out, but suggest no alternative.

When I hadn't seen their own idea/suggestion, I thought I'd missed it it...

I should have known better.

Maybe it's time for Northern Ireland to pick a side (?)

United Kingdom (out of the EU) or a United Ireland (in the EU).