The Brexit Thread - Page 25 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

💯💯💯💯💯 @HOOP_hands_off

Hands Off Our Parliament

💯💯💯💯

💯 Retweeted Phantom Power

Rumour has it that the SFU is about to call for independence and ask their members to vote for it. Byebye @stephenkerrMP and @Douglas4Moray

Any insight @hampden_loon2878

This could be massive if it comes about... 

there are only 17000 farmers in Scotland, (they employ more ) however their voice is much bigger than that.

Wonder how Union Jackie Bird would report that on BBC.....

• 2 weeks later...

I get the feeling theres somthing afoot in the “scottish tory party”  they have gone into hiding and closed ranks, could they be the reason that May has not been ousted? As ruth davidson has already stated her dislike to mogg and boris!! Could they be holding the conservative party as a whole to ransom on a hard brexit? could you imagine the histeria if davidson resigned or disowned her master to the south, although it pains me to say! That conservative roasters in holyrood have lots of leverage on their masters its just that they dont use it to benefit scotland  

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I get the feeling theres somthing afoot in the “scottish tory party”  they have gone into hiding and closed ranks, could they be the reason that May has not been ousted? As ruth davidson has already stated her dislike to mogg and boris!! Could they be holding the conservative party as a whole to ransom on a hard brexit? could you imagine the histeria if davidson resigned or disowned her master to the south, although it pains me to say! That conservative roasters in holyrood have lots of leverage on their masters its just that they dont use it to benefit scotland  

It's standard practice for Ruth Davidson to go to ground whenever there's any bad news for her and over the summer you've had the Brexit meltdown in the Tory party as well as the dark money financing allegations.   Apparantly GMS have been trying to get her on for an interview for weeks now and she hasn't been available.   The reason is that whenever she's put under any kind of difficult questioning by someone who knows what they are doing she doesn't come out of it well, she doesn't do her homework and has changed track so many times it's easy to trip her up.   Get her off "No second referendum" and SNP Bad and there's very little substance there.

• 2 weeks later...

What a mess, brexit like a slow motion car crash, 2 years on and nothing resolved

Chequers plan blown out the water (no surprise there), Backstop plan coming back to haunt May (no surprise there).

May says I won't break up my country as she steers (or drifts) good ship britannia to the rocks. 

Still in denial trying to please everyone and no-one. 

In a way would have been better if she either said its hard brexit, no deal,  tough ; or else, since 48% wanted to stay, we'll leave EU but stay in  everything else, tough. 

Harder now to see a compromise now, if she is adamant her precious precious union must endure untouched. 

1 hour ago, exile said:

What a mess, brexit like a slow motion car crash, 2 years on and nothing resolved

Chequers plan blown out the water (no surprise there), Backstop plan coming back to haunt May (no surprise there).

May says I won't break up my country as she steers (or drifts) good ship britannia to the rocks. 

Still in denial trying to please everyone and no-one. 

In a way would have been better if she either said its hard brexit, no deal,  tough ; or else, since 48% wanted to stay, we'll leave EU but stay in  everything else, tough. 

Harder now to see a compromise now, if she is adamant her precious precious union must endure untouched. 

I have some sympathy for her. After Cameron resigned all the Brexiteers like Johnsone, Gove, Fox saw the utter mess they'd have to steer the UK through and duly backed out of the PM contest. They (and the Tory MP's) left remainer May to be the shit magnet.

Edit: Changed 'steer the country*' for 'steer the UK'. 

*not an actual country

Edited by Dave78

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I have some sympathy for her.

It may be tough on a personal level having to go to Europe as a delegate so isolated and face derision and rebuff from 27 other countries, but if she's not up to it she should stand aside.

I have little sympathy for someone whose botched diplomacy is cheered on by the jingoistic newspapers calling the rebuff her 'finest hour' (the same papers who would have said "Sturgeon SLAPPED DOWN by Brussels).  It is the support of those papers that allow her to stumble on for 2 years with no plan and no solution, and for it to be painted as defiance and patriotism.   

We don't have a clear direction or even any sense of a clear choice of which direction to go.  She has been in denial, stringing us along for 2 years offering impossible promises to both sides - trying to keep business/market people happy on one side, and ardent British nationalists on the other. She survived a general election because of that - and the mess and deadlock that has followed. 

A proper leader - a Blair or a Thatcher dare I say - would decide the target outcome (single market and customs union, say; or none of any of those European things thank you very much) and tell the opposition to put up and shut up, and then spend the energy working for the best deal for that scenario. There should be no question of an anti-heroic "no deal" scenario, it's all posturing, just cover for bad diplomacy and general incompetence. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Tremendous entertainment on some level now from the other side of the world. Trust in any politician at your own peril. 

For Scotland - Until proven otherwise

front.jpg?v=2016-08-31-21-46

People are saying an EU deal now looks increasingly likely. This could mean some sort of a customs union fudge. The Johnsons and Rees Moggs won't like it but what can they do? Who's going to vote down a viable deal versus the abyss of no deal?  

3 hours ago, exile said:

People are saying an EU deal now looks increasingly likely. This could mean some sort of a customs union fudge. The Johnsons and Rees Moggs won't like it but what can they do? Who's going to vote down a viable deal versus the abyss of no deal?  

Dont think the option will be as cut and dried as that

I'd imagine quite a few if it meant a General Election

Sturgeon has already said SNP MPs will not vote for a deal that doesnt include membership of the SM & CU which it wont

Cant see the Lib Dems voting for a crappy deal as they are for SM & CU too

JRM and Tory rebels wont vote for a fudge deal that means we are rule takers and not makers

The DUP are unhinged

That leaves Labour and brings it back to a possible GE

Edited by Ally Bongo

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Dont think the option will be as cut and dried as that

I'd imagine quite a few if it meant a General Election

Sturgeon has already said SNP MPs will not vote for a deal that doesnt include membership of the SM & CU which it wont

Cant see the Lib Dems voting for a crappy deal as they are for SM & CU too

JRM and Tory rebels wont vote for a fudge deal that means we are rule takers and not makers

The DUP are unhinged

That leaves Labour and brings it back to a possible GE

That certainly sounds plausible.

But I just have a hunch that something will be cooked up, and presented as a great British trade zone, a temporary /indefinite fudge, hailed by press as breakthrough in the national interest making it hard for Labour and even leaver Tories to block.

Some sort of Vow, even - a customs union equivalent of Devo max - that convinces moderate Leavers it's a stepping-stone to a better final deal in future, just enough to vote for or abstain. Presented at the last moment when there's no time for proper debate, and the public mood is weary, let's just put this to bed. And sod the fisheries. 

Edited by exile

17 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Hearing that theres a deal to be confirmed tommorow, it has been leaked through the eu side

Meeting was supposed to be end of next week followed by a final one in November

Interesting rumour but unlikely particulary with the Ulster bigot bumping her gums only a few hours ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/13/leaked-emails-dup-arlene-foster-no-deal-brexit-most-likely-outcome-eu?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by Ally Bongo