The Brexit Thread - Page 24 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

3 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Aye and what the "experts" fail to say is that all the stuff we import is more expensive.

It perplexes me that there are people who now seem to believe  everything spouted by MSM. George Orwell was about 30 years out but by feck was he correct!  

And will continue to become more expensive. Sterling is dropping like a stone against the US dollar. Most importers are unhedged. 

letter from Aldous Huxley to George Orwell

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/03/1984-v-brave-new-world.html

Wrightwood. Cal.
21 October, 1949

Dear Mr. Orwell,

It was very kind of you to tell your publishers to send me a copy of your book. It arrived as I was in the midst of a piece of work that required much reading and consulting of references; and since poor sight makes it necessary for me to ration my reading, I had to wait a long time before being able to embark on Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Agreeing with all that the critics have written of it, I need not tell you, yet once more, how fine and how profoundly important the book is. May I speak instead of the thing with which the book deals --- the ultimate revolution? The first hints of a philosophy of the ultimate revolution --- the revolution which lies beyond politics and economics, and which aims at total subversion of the individual's psychology and physiology --- are to be found in the Marquis de Sade, who regarded himself as the continuator, the consummator, of Robespierre and Babeuf. The philosophy of the ruling minority in Nineteen Eighty-Four is a sadism which has been carried to its logical conclusion by going beyond sex and denying it. Whether in actual fact the policy of the boot-on-the-face can go on indefinitely seems doubtful. My own belief is that the ruling oligarchy will find less arduous and wasteful ways of governing and of satisfying its lust for power, and these ways will resemble those which I described in Brave New World. I have had occasion recently to look into the history of animal magnetism and hypnotism, and have been greatly struck by the way in which, for a hundred and fifty years, the world has refused to take serious cognizance of the discoveries of Mesmer, Braid, Esdaile, and the rest.

Partly because of the prevailing materialism and partly because of prevailing respectability, nineteenth-century philosophers and men of science were not willing to investigate the odder facts of psychology for practical men, such as politicians, soldiers and policemen, to apply in the field of government. Thanks to the voluntary ignorance of our fathers, the advent of the ultimate revolution was delayed for five or six generations. Another lucky accident was Freud's inability to hypnotize successfully and his consequent disparagement of hypnotism. This delayed the general application of hypnotism to psychiatry for at least forty years. But now psycho-analysis is being combined with hypnosis; and hypnosis has been made easy and indefinitely extensible through the use of barbiturates, which induce a hypnoid and suggestible state in even the most recalcitrant subjects.

Within the next generation I believe that the world's rulers will discover that infant conditioning and narco-hypnosis are more efficient, as instruments of government, than clubs and prisons, and that the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience. In other words, I feel that the nightmare of Nineteen Eighty-Four is destined to modulate into the nightmare of a world having more resemblance to that which I imagined in Brave New World. The change will be brought about as a result of a felt need for increased efficiency. Meanwhile, of course, there may be a large-scale biological and atomic war --- in which case we shall have nightmares of other and scarcely imaginable kinds.

Thank you once again for the book.

Yours sincerely,

Aldous Huxley

11 minutes ago, antidote said:

One thing obvious about this Tory government. They cannot and will not admit they are wrong even when they have clearly been exposed. With that mentality I cannot see them agreeing to another referendum. Not a chance in the world. The only way I see another referendum being held is if we have a general election and the Tories are removed from power then we may just may get another referendum but I won't hold my breath.

The mess is totally of the Tories making as they agreed to the referendum and then when the results were in the Tories rejected other party's suggestion that Brexit discussions and plans should have been a cross-party thing. Spot on that and yet the Tories thought they would be the Daddies and play the big man and it has spectacularly blown up in their face.

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I read MacWhirter on Sunday suggesting Sturgeon should push for a 2nd Brexit referendum ahead of a 2nd independence referendum...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16413345.iain-macwhirter-the-snps-legendary-party-unity-could-be-finally-about-to-crack/

Probably more achievable. 

I can't see how WM are going to allow an Indyref2 during the lifetime of this parliament. 

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I read MacWhirter on Sunday suggesting Sturgeon should push for a 2nd Brexit referendum ahead of a 2nd independence referendum...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16413345.iain-macwhirter-the-snps-legendary-party-unity-could-be-finally-about-to-crack/

He has been bumping his gums about this for a while and it makes me very suspicious about his leanings

When Scotland votes remain again and England votes leave will we get to stay in the EU ?

The SNP has 35 MPs out of 650 FFS - why should a Scottish party push to overturn England's brexit ? Is this MacWhirter's angle ? Make sure everybody that votes leave hates the fucking SNP ?

35 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Probably more achievable. 

I can't see how WM are going to allow an Indyref2 during the lifetime of this parliament. 

We dont need Westminster's position and there are other legal avenues

We can put them in a position where they would be loathed to reject it

Edited by Ally Bongo

15 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Nicola could push all she wants for a 2nd EU referendum. Anybody with any power to do anything about it, will just totally ignore her.  

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

He has been bumping his gums about this for a while and it makes me very suspicious about his leanings

I think MacWhirter is still firmly pro independence (or at least FFA), he just recognises the dilemma the SNP leadership are facing in terms of when to fire the starting gun on Indyref2.

Alex Neill saying today early 2020's   

I will be disapointed if we dont have one before the next  holyrude Election...

Next october or march /April 2020, when the horrors of Brexit have been encountered by the masses.

ie the passport queues, rising prices  and the weaker pound. 

May will be gone not long after Brexit and some new Tory Boy will appear with the full Jingoistic media behind him and the Media will be in full anti Corbyn mood and rising in the polls. 

The Telegraph is at it already.....

The Tories will walk the next UK election, it will be like Thatcher in '82  ( Brexit= Falklands, Corbyn=Foot)

Scotland needs to decide once again...

The only alternative to this is the new pro european party being rumoured  to be getting started by  Blair , it has a £50m fund with David Milliband in place to lead it along with Nick Clegg. This is also rumoured as to why Murphy/Harris etc are being very anti Corbyn. A new new Labour .........

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Support for remaining in the EU increases in Scotland...

https://www.holyrood.com/articles/news/support-remaining-eu-rises-scotland-finds-yougov

So, Peter Kellner (the geezer in charge of yougov) is also trying to push Nicola into backing a 2nd EU referendum. 

I wonder what is really going on here. I hope she is listening to Big Eck's advice on this one. There is something dodgy going on.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:17 AM, Orraloon said:

So, Peter Kellner (the geezer in charge of yougov) is also trying to push Nicola into backing a 2nd EU referendum. 

I wonder what is really going on here. I hope she is listening to Big Eck's advice on this one. There is something dodgy going on.

I don't think there's anything particularly dodgy about it. 

There's already a decent bit of support for a 2nd EU ref from the LibDems and various others. It's also a pretty reasonable argument to make that people didn't know what they were voting for (as Brexit wasn't defined) so should have another vote. The SNP are another chunk of MP's to try and persuade to to that cause. 

With the SNP being so opposed to leaving the EU they could reasonably align with this as a mechanism to avoid Brexit - as the expectation would be that the initial vote would be overturned.

The  'catch' for the SNP would be the knock-on effect.

With the danger of EU separatism lifted , the (European) union would be strengthened as the UK would have stepped back from the brink and decided that 'togetherness' (with EU) was more important than 'separatism' (Brexit). The same logic would then apply to any notion of independence and we would also no longer have been "removed from the EU against our will".   

In short - supporting a 2nd EU ref could (small chance) be good for the SNP in stopping Brexit, but bad for the overriding aim of independence.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:20 AM, stocky said:

Alex Neill saying today early 2020's   

I will be disapointed if we dont have one before the next  holyrude Election...

Next october or march /April 2020, when the horrors of Brexit have been encountered by the masses.

ie the passport queues, rising prices  and the weaker pound. 

May will be gone not long after Brexit and some new Tory Boy will appear with the full Jingoistic media behind him and the Media will be in full anti Corbyn mood and rising in the polls. 

The Telegraph is at it already.....

The Tories will walk the next UK election, it will be like Thatcher in '82  ( Brexit= Falklands, Corbyn=Foot)

Scotland needs to decide once again...

The only alternative to this is the new pro european party being rumoured  to be getting started by  Blair , it has a £50m fund with David Milliband in place to lead it along with Nick Clegg. This is also rumoured as to why Murphy/Harris etc are being very anti Corbyn. A new new Labour .........

Unfortunately I have very strong doubts that the Scottish psyche would embrace another change scenario (independence) as a way to resolve that situation. 

Also, fully agree that Tories will get rid of May post-Brexit and go in to the next election with a more slick David Cameron type. Labour do have a chance - especially as Brexit unfolds - but I think would need to get rid of Corbyn. 

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

Unfortunately I have very strong doubts that the Scottish psyche would embrace another change scenario (independence) as a way to resolve that situation. 

Also, fully agree that Tories will get rid of May post-Brexit and go in to the next election with a more slick David Cameron type. Labour do have a chance - especially as Brexit unfolds - but I think would need to get rid of Corbyn. 

Boris is waiting in the wings for all the mess, a mess he helped create, to be finalised. May will get the blame, be booted out, get a peerage for being the fall person. Then Boris will pounce and say it wasn’t his fault.

Job done. 

They need to get rid of Corbyn now, he’s now a liability. If they did they’d be soaring in the OPs. 

Edited by antidote

1 hour ago, antidote said:

Boris is waiting in the wings for all the mess, a mess he helped create, to be finalised. May will get the blame, be booted out, get a peerage for being the fall person. Then Boris will pounce and say it wasn’t his fault.

Job done. 

They need to get rid of Corbyn now, he’s now a liability. If they did they’d be soaring in the OPs. 

Boris is now the bogey-man that we like to think will become PM just to typify how much the lunatics have taken over the asylum - and in turn to boost the Scottish independence cause. 

It's not going to happen.  

Boris had his chance when Cameron bolted and it fell apart as soon as Gove dropped support for him. 

22 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Boris is now the bogey-man that we like to think will become PM just to typify how much the lunatics have taken over the asylum - and in turn to boost the Scottish independence cause. 

It's not going to happen.  

Boris had his chance when Cameron bolted and it fell apart as soon as Gove dropped support for him. 

Boris does not want to take the blame for this mess, he’s waiting. 

On 8/10/2018 at 6:01 PM, TDYER63 said:

And will continue to become more expensive. Sterling is dropping like a stone against the US dollar. Most importers are unhedged. 

I always find it odd how pretty much all of our media (and most politicians with them) repeat over and over again how bad the euro is and weren't we lucky we never joined.

Yet when the euro started, the opening exchange rate was €1.50 / £1

Since then the euro has ALWAYS outperformed the pound. And yes current tourist rates are parity at best.

When are we going to hear the truth on currency?

27 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

I always find it odd how pretty much all of our media (and most politicians with them) repeat over and over again how bad the euro is and weren't we lucky we never joined.

Yet when the euro started, the opening exchange rate was €1.50 / £1

Since then the euro has ALWAYS outperformed the pound. And yes current tourist rates are parity at best.

When are we going to hear the truth on currency?

The ‘Euro bad ‘ stories are mainly connected to the constraints that are put on the smaller nations in order to keep within the parameters set, and to be fair it has caused a lot of problems. Germany’s strength masks a lot of the issues.

Eur 1.50 /£ was probably not fair value and  in sustainable, that is why it settled down around 1.30-1.35 for a while. 

I think the Euro negativity is a bit overdone , though if I am honest I think it is still better to be out it than in it.

Brexit is causing most of the weakness in the pound at the moment as opposed to  Euro strength. Uk Retail sales data yesterday was much stronger than expected yet sterling did absolutely nothing. Normally a figure like that would give it a good bounce higher, but Brexit is weighing  it down. 

Infact the Euro is weaker than normal st present due to European banks exposure to Turkish debt, yet it is still outperforming sterling.  

With no likelihood  of further UK interest rate rises there is nothing to support sterling unless there is a big breakthrough in Brexit negotiations. If it languishes around these levels prices will have to go up and the pain will bite. 

Is anyone still awake? I am away for a bevvy to drown my sorrows. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The ‘Euro bad ‘ stories are mainly connected to the constraints that are put on the smaller nations in order to keep within the parameters set, and to be fair it has caused a lot of problems. Germany’s strength masks a lot of the issues.

Eur 1.50 /£ was probably not fair value and  in sustainable, that is why it settled down around 1.30-1.35 for a while. 

I think the Euro negativity is a bit overdone , though if I am honest I think it is still better to be out it than in it.

Brexit is causing most of the weakness in the pound at the moment as opposed to  Euro strength. Uk Retail sales data yesterday was much stronger than expected yet sterling did absolutely nothing. Normally a figure like that would give it a good bounce higher, but Brexit is weighing  it down. 

Infact the Euro is weaker than normal st present due to European banks exposure to Turkish debt, yet it is still outperforming sterling.  

With no likelihood  of further UK interest rate rises there is nothing to support sterling unless there is a big breakthrough in Brexit negotiations. If it languishes around these levels prices will have to go up and the pain will bite. 

Are all the currency traders mainly waiting on the outcome of the negotiation? I'm assuming interest rates will rise in the event of a 'no deal'?

What about a Chequers 'soft brexit' though? I take it the pound will rise?

As someone who earns pounds and spends euros, i care more than most!

10 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Are all the currency traders mainly waiting on the outcome of the negotiation? I'm assuming interest rates will rise in the event of a 'no deal'?

What about a Chequers 'soft brexit' though? I take it the pound will rise?

As someone who earns pounds and spends euros, i care more than most!

Yes. Everything seems to be hinging on this.

There is no guarantee of interest rates going up immediately on a no deal though the  inflationary aspect and run on the pound suggests they would have to do something. It would be a mess though as they are balancing that against job losses and uncertainty. 

Mark Carney played down the chances of further rate rises after the recent increase,  suggesting a ‘wait and see’ approach. The markets always get ahead of themselves though, any sniff of a rise pushing sterling higher, leading to the inevitable disappointment when nothing actually happens and it drops lower again.    

Another EU vote seems to be getting taken more seriously now, any indication that we will have a soft Brexit or no Brexit should see sterling move higher. This could be dramatic if it happens, the market is sitting very ‘short’ of sterling and any positive news could lead to a sudden spike higher. The only thing that may hamper this is the political turmoil that ensues following a no Brexit outcome.   

In the event of no deal you could see sterling drop another 10% . 

💯💯💯💯💯 @HOOP_hands_off

Hands Off Our Parliament

💯💯💯💯

💯 Retweeted Phantom Power

Rumour has it that the SFU is about to call for independence and ask their members to vote for it. Byebye @stephenkerrMP and @Douglas4Moray

Any insight @hampden_loon2878

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

💯💯💯💯💯 @HOOP_hands_off

Hands Off Our Parliament

💯💯💯💯

💯 Retweeted Phantom Power

Rumour has it that the SFU is about to call for independence and ask their members to vote for it. Byebye @stephenkerrMP and @Douglas4Moray

Any insight @hampden_loon2878

Could be some truth in that. 

9 hours ago, antidote said:

Could be some truth in that. 

@Ally Bongo

the caption above is from a few years back however i have heard whispers of changes whitin the farming community, I have an acquaintance high up in the Turriff show(huge farming event up here) who i am quizzing as we speak to see what he has to say