The Brexit Thread - Page 23 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

The one that is totally unreadable? You need to improve your handwriting, Dr Bongo;)

8 minutes ago, phart said:

Yeah i found it illegible on a quick look.

It is the victorian transcription held in the Home Office files and probably how it looked on the wall at the time 

35 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I don't think too many people frown on the hijab, apart from the odd Labour cooncillor....

would wager most people think it's an abomination and quite rightly too.

conflating "let women wear what they want" with this bollocks is like equating 13th century self flaggelation with civic rights.  absolute garbage.  what good is a society if it doesn't say when something is wrong?

Edited by PapofGlencoe

Just now, PapofGlencoe said:

would wager most people think it's an abomination and quite rightly too.

conflating let women wear what they want with this bollocks is like equating 13th century self flaggelation with civic rights.  absolute bollox.  what good is a society if it doesn't say when something is wrong?

hijab is an abomination? Sorry i just burst out laughing when i read that.

48 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Yep. 

Why?  

What kind of country are we?  Surely we are just a country? 

for the record couldn't give a monkeys what religion the country is.  Culture is there for changing.

And changing views on women wearing full face veils should be one of them.

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

no need to apologise.  i'm happy you found it so funny.  you should really get to the festival, it'll blow your mind.

It's the assumption that your "culture" is somehow intrinsically better therefore in a position to judge what belongs in the what century. As if ideas had to be consigned to different time periods. If you were born into that culture you'd be wearing one too, and probably bitching about the apostasy of Scottish Culture.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

It's the assumption that your "culture" is somehow intrinsically better therefore in a position to judge what belongs in the what century. As if ideas had to be consigned to different time periods. If you were born into that culture you'd be wearing one too, and probably bitching about the apostasy of Scottish Culture.

Spare me the straw man.

Of course I'd be enjoying a right good hanging 500 year ago.  Hardly the point.  We cal out bad things to progress.  

4 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Spare me the straw man.

Of course I'd be enjoying a right good hanging 500 year ago.  Hardly the point.  We cal out bad things to progress.  

I never said anything about 500 years ago, so who has a straw man?

I'm talking about the objective value of each culture. Almost everyone assumes their own culture is the most advanced one. Since everyone has that certainty then how do we decide who is right? Everyone is viewing it from a subjective frame.

I'm not saying you're wrong to call out, i'm asking how do you know you're right?

27 minutes ago, phart said:

hijab is an abomination? Sorry i just burst out laughing when i read that.

I'm guessing he doesn't know the difference between a hijab,, a burka and a niqab.  

Either that or he had a bad experience as a kid with a wifie wearing a headscarf over her rollers. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I'm guessing he doesn't know the difference between a hijab,, a burka and a niqab.  

Either that or he had a bad experience as a kid with a wifie wearing a headscarf over her rollers. 

Hijab is sort of a coverall term though I think. For some sort of modesty between sexes. These words are a lot more nuanced than we think. Plus Hijab means the act of covering up, which if you think about it, is just the same as us to varying degrees. We can't walk about naked as the naked rambler found out. So it's not the fact you're banning the exposure it's the amount of exposure.

6 hours ago, aaid said:

When trying to show me up as ignorant at least have the grace to read what I've actually said.  I'm talking about a full face/body veil.  

I know fine well the difference.  I'd bet more than you.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

7 hours ago, phart said:

I'm talking about the objective value of each culture. Almost everyone assumes their own culture is the most advanced one. Since everyone has that certainty then how do we decide who is right? Everyone is viewing it from a subjective frame.

I'm not saying you're wrong to call out, i'm asking how do you know you're right?

Oaaft.  That's a very philosophical argument which could be applied to anything.  Is murder/sexual discrimination okay?  Who the hell knows.

I suppose we should allow culture to keep their traditions come what may...hope to god you reincarnate as gay in Uganda.  Or will you come back as a judge and pass judgement please; we need your wisdom here.

7 hours ago, phart said:

At no point have i said my culture is the most advanced one.  That's a good example of a straw man.  

On the very narrow point of women covering themselves from head to foot and having to be chaperoned..yes i do believe that is backwards.  Is it honestly your contention that this is not backwards?  I'm lost here.  Is that your argument?

These people are part of my culture for the most part.. not a comparitor in my view. Though I think it would be a great stride to eradicate across the world. Another reason why youre making hay.  You're making judgements about what my culture is.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

15 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Oaaft.  That's a very philosophical argument which could be applied to anything.  Is murder/sexual discrimination okay?  Who the hell knows.

I suppose we should allow culture to keep their traditions come what may...hope to god you reincarnate as gay in Uganda.  Or will you come back as a judge and pass judgement please; we need your wisdom here.

Apply it to sexual discrimination then if it can be, i disgaree

I thought we were talking about the hijab, you're speculating on me being incarnated and other such stuff. If we want to exchange view on the poster rather than the content i'm more than happy to do that. Watch.

15 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

At no point have i said my culture is the most advanced one.  That's a good example of a straw man.  

On the very narrow point of women covering themselves from head to foot and having to be chaperoned..yes i do believe that is backwards.  Is it honestly your contention that this is not backwards?  I'm lost here.  Is that your argument?

What can you do?

two upvotes as well.

16 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

You could answer the question.  

Well at least two people can read whole sentences for context.  

Wheest! You went from " hijab is an abomination " to " On the very narrow point of women covering themselves from head to foot and having to be chaperoned"

I'll let you settle on a point then make my point, instead of making a point then the goal posts moving.

26 minutes ago, phart said:

Wheest! You went from " hijab is an abomination " to " On the very narrow point of women covering themselves from head to foot and having to be chaperoned"

I'll let you settle on a point then make my point, instead of making a point then the goal posts moving.

To clear up then... it's the latter.  

Any response to that or is there nothing to see here?

I guess it's not a black and white issue. Take FGM for example, a lot of people would support banning that, people who would shrink from claiming to be 'culturally advanced', and yet who would also consider it 'progressive' along with things like women's rights and just 'the right thing to do'. Where that leaves male circumcision is anyone's guess. 

Meanwhile back on Brexit, shock news as the Daily Brexpress has a negative headline about Brexit (I only read the headline but here is the link)

Stock market CRASH: 'Chaotic NO-DEAL BREXIT' means BIG market ...

Express.co.uk-2 hours ago
World stock markets could react negatively if a 'chaotic no-deal' Brexit becomes a more likely option, a senior equities manager has warned.

If you are going to Europe on holiday your £1 will get you between 0.90 and 0.95 Euros

Now just imagine this was an SNP Government in charge of a currency crash

I'm fucking sure there wouldnt be experts on every MSM channel telling everyone that it's great news if you sell stuff to Europe

Edited by Ally Bongo

18 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

If you are going to Europe on holiday your £1 will get you between 0.90 and 0.95 Euros

Now just imagine this was an SNP Government in charge of a currency crash

I'm fucking sure there wouldnt be experts on every MSM channel telling everyone that it's great news if you sell stuff to Europe

Aye and what the "experts" fail to say is that all the stuff we import is more expensive.

It perplexes me that there are people who now seem to believe  everything spouted by MSM. George Orwell was about 30 years out but by feck was he correct!  

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'd remove the cunt's knighthood (without getting into the whole honour's list hornet nest as seen on the Kenny Dalglish thread)