The Brexit Thread - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Brexit Thread

19 minutes ago, Alibi said:

That is the one specific issue where I think it would be prudent to offer a referendum to decide Scotland's future relationship with Europe. In, out, EFTA.  To be decided by the voters of Scotland.  I think it would result in a vote to be in the EU, but giving people the choice, with all options offered, is the way to prevent it being used as a main issue in indyref2.

Absolutely, hopefully the wider YES movement can be more neutral. 

Its about democracy for me... 

The people of Scotland voted to stay in the EU, we are being removed against our will.

If we had our own vote, the result might be different. who knows..  we are always overruled by the bigger neighbour. 

Its the same about the general principle of Indy, We get overruled..

Scotland should get who we vote for, to control the policies we vote for. 

Everything else is just pure havers.......

Interesting polling from Panelbase commissioned by Wings Over Scotland with a slightly different Indy/EU question.

Independent Scotland as part of the EU - 49%

Remaining part of the U.K. out of the EU -51%

Maybe being in the EU isn't the big turn off for Yes voters that people go on about - of course it pays to consider exactly who it is that goes on about remaining in the EU being a big problem for the Yes movement.

https://wingsoverscotland.com/anybodys-game/

Some interesting numbers in the detailed breakdown: comparing those close to 50:50 with others of glaring difference.   I mean interesting whether predictable or not.

We knew this already, but age = glaring, for instance.   As I'm now ageing (according to the breakdown) I have to say I've been in a minority all my life and it's been a downer, but I do have faith in young folk.

2 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Some interesting numbers in the detailed breakdown: comparing those close to 50:50 with others of glaring difference.   I mean interesting whether predictable or not.

Indeed, 44% of Berrz support independence. Take that Rangers Media!...

indyrefeu1.jpg

Are people actually getting themselves all excited/worked up about what colour a passports going to be

If it gets me on my holidays I'm no fussed. At least in future I'll no need to look at the magnets on the fridge to see where I've been holiday, I'll be able to look at my passport stamps

Edited by DoonTheSlope

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The reporting of this latest Brexit business is farcical. The government made a humiliating concession last year, about alignment with the EU over northern ireland, and the media pretended it was May making progress in making a deal. But May agreed it, but the brexit press pretended it was not a concession.

Now the EU are reminding us of this agreement, yet May is in denial, saying Britain will never allow it, but she already agreed it!

...and the BBC news pretending May's defiant stance is news - but surely the news is she is denying what she already agreed!

Newsnight at least is now pointing out the reality, quoting George Osborne of all people, that May already agreed it

Meanwhile all this latest stuff about borders, the Tories bending over backwards to say there will be no borders, all electronic, very easy to do, yet always threatening Scotland with a hard border, border guards, etc. but the news never mentions this absurdity.

Why does the news never point out that the british government is holding mutually incompatible views, and they can't possibly deliver what they say they wlil, because they are logically impossible!

You can't have no border between RoI and NI, and no border between NI and GB, unless there is no difference between UK and EU.

On 25/02/2018 at 12:30 AM, Clyde1998 said:

If the SNP are going to be such trouble, why don't they let Scotland become independent? They can get on with 'negotiating' Brexit without worrying about the SNP. ;)

I read somewhere that a survey by the Universities of Edinburgh and Cardiff showed that 88 % of leave voters in England were prepared to accept a Yes vote in another Scottish referendum, and 81% would risk  the Irish peace process,  to pursue Brexit. The figures for Conservative leave voters was  in the nineties. Even Labour voters were in the high 70’s. Thats a large number of people if accurate. 

15 hours ago, exile said:

I thought threads predating 'the split' stayed put and they can die a natural death or live on as zombie topics occasionally popping up

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Thats what I thought too.

Just me being stupid probably. :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-northern-ireland-customs-union-a8234766.html

Video footage of Theresa May admitting there cant be an open Irish border if the UK Leaves the EU 

Will she admit to being honest or just another part of project fear

On 01/03/2018 at 2:48 PM, TDYER63 said:

I read somewhere that a survey by the Universities of Edinburgh and Cardiff showed that 88 % of leave voters in England were prepared to accept a Yes vote in another Scottish referendum, and 81% would risk  the Irish peace process,  to pursue Brexit. The figures for Conservative leave voters was  in the nineties. Even Labour voters were in the high 70’s. Thats a large number of people if accurate. 

That fits in with my perception, living in England, that most people down here view the UK as 'Greater England' and the views of the rest of the UK are irrelevant. Most people I spoke to prior to the independence referendum saw us being independent as almost a joke - only something that flag waving nationalists would ever want. The day after the EU membership referendum, a couple of people said to me 'I understand why you want an independent Scotland now'. I think that we're approaching a situation in the near future where the UK tears it self apart, because it becomes unable to appease voters in England, while making the UK 'attractive' to a majority of voters elsewhere in the UK.

On 01/03/2018 at 8:49 PM, Ally Bongo said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-northern-ireland-customs-union-a8234766.html

Video footage of Theresa May admitting there cant be an open Irish border if the UK Leaves the EU 

Will she admit to being honest or just another part of project fear

She'll try and find a way out of it, although it's entirely irrational to suggest that the UK could leave the customs union and there not be customs checks between Northern Ireland and the Republic, or Britain and Ireland (should NI be kept in the customs union).

The border between Spain and Gibraltar is another major issue that no-one seems to be talking about - the Spanish only opened that border as a result of them joining the European Community and seems to be suggesting that they'll close it again one the UK leaves. That will hit Gibraltar hard, considering that a very large percentage of Gibraltarians work in Spain.

The position of the UK Government just seems to be a ploy to blame the EU for everything going wrong after the UK leaves the EU.

5 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

The position of the UK Government just seems to be a ploy to blame the EU for everything going wrong after the UK leaves the EU.

Along with Economists, experts in other fields, The Irish, The SNP and everyone else that voted remain

Farage on BBCQT last night then John Redwood, Suzanne UKIP Evans and Iain fucking Dale on Newsnight tonight

Lots of faint praise for May's speech yesterday it seems, but again whilst there was some detail in what she wants, it was just like a wish list but with a bit more detail.

The Irish border was basically brushed aside too with a 'we'll figure it out'.

I believe she's in Brussells on Monday for two days of talks.

Some of the pro-Brexit pundits saying Barnier seems happy etc from one Tweet in which he basically was being courteous said cheers for the details, much to talk about with the rest of the EU.