Sir Billy Connolly - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sir Billy Connolly

6 hours ago, aaid said:

Aye, you say that noo.

Indeed I do.

It's a racing certainty I'll never have to actually back that up with action, of course, but on the off chance that I ever do you can quote me as saying I'd never ever accept any OBE, MBE or such like from the queens honours list. Ever.

Who really cares if he accepted it or not?

I'm sure he's got much bigger worries than whether not to accept an honour.

My Gran would love a CBE, doesn't mean I'm going to disown her.

Connolly has done more to promote Scotland in his lifetime than any of us could ever dream of. Whether he accepts a Knighthood or not will never change that.

Some fkin rebel eh... 

"You must remember that the Union saved Scotland. Scotland was bankrupt and the English opened us up to their American and Canadian markets, from which we just flowered."

"Load a shite"

On 17/06/2017 at 2:41 PM, Ormond said:

What a sell out piece of shite. Everything he claimed to stand for is now a pile of bollocks. 

Don't think he ever claimed to stand for anything. All I can remember was two casette tapes thet went around school about this guy that was was really funny and talked liked us. 'Have you heard the Crucifiixtion' naw 'you've only got  solo concert' you need 'cop yer whack for this'. Not exactly sure I've got that correct however I think I'll listen to both tonight.This was the seventies no one, no one, I'll repeat, no one with a working class accent, far less a Scotiish working class accent, got near the telly unless they were on strike.

Edited by Eisegerwind
Clarification.

I first heard the crucifixion routine 2nd hand (word for word as far as I could later discern) from an older lad giving a performance in front of a captive audience and we lapped it all up. A school pal had the vinyl of the full concerts and it was like gold. (Derek and Clive followed later left lying around by somebody's big brother :o)

Great until I felt stabbed in the back, front and baws by yon Brttish lickspittle. Sad to say, but continue to enjoy entertainment from the big yin, including the three portraits stuff.

Actually appears to be quite difficultt to get full albums online however.

1 minute ago, Grim Jim said:

I first heard the crucifixion routine 2nd hand (word for word as far as I could later discern) from an older lad giving a performance in front of a captive audience and we lapped it all up. A school pal had the vinyl of the full concerts and it was like gold. (Derek and Clive followed later left lying around by somebody's big brother :o)

Great until I felt stabbed in the back, front and baws by yon Brttish lickspittle. Sad to say, but continue to enjoy entertainment from the big yin, including the three portraits stuff.

It was better than gold it was a one man revolution.. Gold was obtainable. Lickspittle isn't a word I'd use although.I'd see why you might. However Connolly will always be a great Scot to me.

When was the cruxifiction routine performed?

I saw BC live in 2001 and outside the venue there was a protest from a small group of the god squad apparently protesting about the cruxifiction routine. That would make it nearly 30 years later, still protesting?

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

I saw BC live in 2001 and outside the venue there was a protest from a small group of the god squad apparently protesting about the cruxifiction routine. That would make it nearly 30 years later, still protesting?

The Solo Concert was recorded live at the Tudor Hotel Airdrie of all places in 1973 but i presume he had performed it before then

Ive never heard the other two albums but i had Solo Concert on tape - it was a pukey green colour of cassette

Played it on loop for years

Connelly was never better than then but when he started swearing in his concerts he became less funny

8 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Would've been 74. A long while ago for sure, As far as I can remember there was 'Solo Concert' his crossover from folk tunes and comedy to comedy 'Cop ter whack for this'. This really shouldn't be underestimated it was no argument revolutionary.

15 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Pastor Jack Glass was a regular protestor outside his gigs long after he stopped doing the crucifixion routine.

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

And what year was it exactly he really started to suck Prince Andrew's dick? Like really start licking his shaft, big slavering licks... Anyone mind?

I don't remember that scene :blink: He did invite him to his wedding to Fergie though, would've been mid 80s then...

And what year was it exactly he really started to suck Prince Andrew's dick? Like really start licking his shaft, big slavering licks... Anyone mind?

80's.

Anyone got those original cassettes of 'solo concert' or 'cop your whack'?

Edited by Eisegerwind

• 2 years later...