SKY TV : a tax on Scottish football ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SKY TV : a tax on Scottish football ?

Haggis_trap

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, andyD said:

Care to elaborate on what and why? It's a discussion forum after all :)

You are suggesting in order for guys to watch our game you need Rangers and Aberdeen doing better in Europe. How the heck do you expect to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? The droves of people in Scotland who plough serious money into the English game are the same guys who moan that the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, etc can't compete with the English second tier for players. The longer that these arseholes, (especially @McTeeko, he's the biggest ain :P) pump money out of Scotland the worse our teams will become. It's not just Sky. Go to any park in Scotland and all you'll see are English, Barca or Madrid jerseys on show on the backs of bairns from Castlemilk, Camelon or Camperdown. Where do you think the money for merchandise goes?

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

The BBC isn't a TV company attempting to make money, it's a public service broadcaster. A public Service Broadcaster who spunks hundreds of millions on MOTD, more on the FA Cup live matches and highlights. 

Their contribution to Scottish sport is shameful in comparison to what gets contributed to the game down south. It also has the double effect of, as well as financing the English game far more, of giving it greater prominence. Saturday night, prime time EPL highlights, while our game is relegated to 6pm (10:30pm if you want HD!) on a Sunday.

The scheduling isn't a massive problem imo. If it was on after english MotD, then it'd be too late for many to stay up watching it. Sunday's is fine.

As for how much they pay, they have a responsibility to all of us as license payers to get the best deal they can, right? So that they got a good deal from the SFA and an average deal from the English Prem isn't really their fault is it? It's the SFA who are ones trying to keep the price high. If the Tories weren't pushing so hard to cut the BBC into shreds then maybe they'd have fought for a less good deal for themselves, who knows.. but let's be honest, Scottish football hasn't been at it's best for a few years. The absence of Rangers from the top league turned it into a 1 team league, where a poor manager could win the league playing fairly uninspiring football. Add in that Hibs and Hearts have both taken trips to the 2nd tier and the amount you could argue Scottish Football is worth to the viewer is damaged. Fingers crossed, with the Edinburgh clubs back, and the Old Firm restored, and Rodgers Celtic actually being entertaining, then the stock will rise and we'll get a better deal next time around.

Well, that's simply not true. Otherwise it'd be La Liga and Bundesliga getting the most coverage on Scottish tv, rather than EPL.

You'd think, wouldn't you. But if you did a survey of Scots I doubt may would put the Bundesliga about the EPL, even tho I'd agree with you that it is. What matters is perception tho, not the 'fact' of how good the teams are. There's only 7 half decent teams in the english league imo, but the endless advertising and brainwashing has taken effect. Add in that it's at least vaguely local and has massive English language coverage and well.. you can understand why people might watch it, no?

We can't legislate to improve our national sport?

Not sure how that's a reply to what i said. I said that the public companies can't donate money to Scottish grassroots unless there's an obvious gain for them in doing so. Since their money is made from English football and not us, then there's no real argument that would get this past shareholders, even if someone was crazy enough to think it was in the companies interests in the first place.
Could we change the law on companies obligation to their shareholders? err.. possibly.. if we were an independent country, yes. but it would be a terrible idea for 1000 different reasons, none to do with football.

I'm not jealous, im angry. Angry that it is almost the norm for folk to "support" teams in a foreign league. Angry that Scottish kids can't watch any Scottish football on free to air TV but can watch plenty of EPL. 

Children aren't born wanting to watch English football, they're conditioned in to doing so by our media and acceptance of it by swathes of the population. And yes, the people who just accept this and ably assist in it are indeed arseholes.

There's plenty of EPL on free to air tv? I thought we only got highlights from each league?

I hear what you're saying about the media.. yes, the EPL is plugged as the only show in town (hence why people don't watch la liga much, even tho it's clearly better). Yes, that is kinda sad, but while we might not like it, that's the nature of a capitalist society. The english league is bigger than ours, has better players and more money, so it uses advertising and messaging to crush the competition and increase the gap between the leagues. Short of armed revolution, I'm not sure there's a lot we can do to change that tho. Those are the rules under which we all live. Being angry and calling people assholes won't so anything to change that i'm afraid.

There are plenty ways to contribute to the Scottish game without going to games every week or two. If you don't want to, that's fine but living in England certainly isn't a barrier.

I'm open to ideas, I've got my supporters club membership and my jerseys.. It would just be a bit weird to start posting a tenner to Tynecastle (or wherever) each week tho, no? Maybe offer some ideas instead of just decrying folks as assholes. ;)

Just by magic? We'll all just get better without further investment? Without improvements in participation, led by government and governing body support?

I didn't mention magic, so if you're suggesting it as a method, i can't say i think it'll be successful. I mentioned in previous posts a few things that will contribute, and I've mentioned them again above, largely around the competitiveness and perceived status of the league. Ranger returning and the Edinburgh teams both being back will help. Aberdeen need to continue to make the most of the advantage they've had for a few years and improve, continue to be a 3rd force domestically, but really trying to get as far in Europe as they can. The SFAs investing in grassroots, Mackay's going around trying to get clubs to improve their development of home grown talent, but not just that he's been encouraging support and mentoring for younger coaches to help them deal with the pressures in their first jobs. So not just looking to improve players, but management as well. Things are happening which over the longer term will hopefully pay off. I'm not sure a ticket subsidy by the SNP would go down well, given that most of the country doesn't watch football, so i dount that kind of thing will happen. But the point is there's a lot of distance to cover between the two positions of "rely on magic" and "get the government to make sky give us cash". Niether of those two will ever happen. We can have a fair discussion about the things in-between, but again.. running around shouting asshole at people isnt really going to help that, is it?

Rangers got to the UEFA Cup final, Aberdeen got through the group stages, Celtic have been in the CL last 16. It makes hee haw difference long-term because the game is not promoted properly. There's no interest from the powers that be in making it more competitive, there's no interest in marketing it better, there's no interest from government in increasing interest or participation in our national sport, probably because folk like you just accept the outrageous position our game is in and are happy to say (and i paraphrase) "it's shite", "EPL is the best", "teams have to just get better" 

1st up, i've never said any of the three things you've just accused me of saying, so, calm yourself and try talking like an adult.
You say things like rangers getting to the uefa final make no difference.. but in 2007-2008 rangers got to UEFA final. Celtic got thu the champions league groups and Aberdeen drew with Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup proper.
What else happened in 2008? Scottish football signed it's (still to this day) biggest TV deal, 50% more than the current one.
So you can sit there with Ormond saying "Andy's talking pish", but your own evidence is right there for you to see.

You then say that basically no one gives a crap and no ones trying to make anything better.. but that's not true either, is it. Neil Doncaster was out a wee while back saying he was talking to BT about selling the TV rights exclusively to them for what would potentially be a record TV deal. So, exactly what this whole thread started out wanting to happen looks like it IS happening.. but still.. sit there with Ormond and say "Andy's talking pish".

So to sum up,
You don't think a competitive league sells better. But it clearly does and has.
You don't think anyone's trying to make the league more competitive. But they are, with players and managers.
You don't think anyone's trying to get a better deal for Scottish football. But they are and it's almost done.

So you can sit around being angry, calling people assholes and nudging Ormond when he says i'm talking pish.. or.. you can crawl out of your wee blinkered pit of misery and pay some attention to what people are actually trying to do.

8 minutes ago, andyD said:

The scheduling isn't a massive problem imo. If it was on after english MotD, then it'd be too late for many to stay up watching it. Sunday's is fine.

As for how much they pay, they have a responsibility to all of us as license payers to get the best deal they can, right? So that they got a good deal from the SFA and an average deal from the English Prem isn't really their fault is it? It's the SFA who are ones trying to keep the price high. If the Tories weren't pushing so hard to cut the BBC into shreds then maybe they'd have fought for a less good deal for themselves, who knows.. but let's be honest, Scottish football hasn't been at it's best for a few years. The absence of Rangers from the top league turned it into a 1 team league, where a poor manager could win the league playing fairly uninspiring football. Add in that Hibs and Hearts have both taken trips to the 2nd tier and the amount you could argue Scottish Football is worth to the viewer is damaged. Fingers crossed, with the Edinburgh clubs back, and the Old Firm restored, and Rodgers Celtic actually being entertaining, then the stock will rise and we'll get a better deal next time around.

You'd think, wouldn't you. But if you did a survey of Scots I doubt may would put the Bundesliga about the EPL, even tho I'd agree with you that it is. What matters is perception tho, not the 'fact' of how good the teams are. There's only 7 half decent teams in the english league imo, but the endless advertising and brainwashing has taken effect. Add in that it's at least vaguely local and has massive English language coverage and well.. you can understand why people might watch it, no?

Not sure how that's a reply to what i said. I said that the public companies can't donate money to Scottish grassroots unless there's an obvious gain for them in doing so. Since their money is made from English football and not us, then there's no real argument that would get this past shareholders, even if someone was crazy enough to think it was in the companies interests in the first place.
Could we change the law on companies obligation to their shareholders? err.. possibly.. if we were an independent country, yes. but it would be a terrible idea for 1000 different reasons, none to do with football.

There's plenty of EPL on free to air tv? I thought we only got highlights from each league?

I hear what you're saying about the media.. yes, the EPL is plugged as the only show in town (hence why people don't watch la liga much, even tho it's clearly better). Yes, that is kinda sad, but while we might not like it, that's the nature of a capitalist society. The english league is bigger than ours, has better players and more money, so it uses advertising and messaging to crush the competition and increase the gap between the leagues. Short of armed revolution, I'm not sure there's a lot we can do to change that tho. Those are the rules under which we all live. Being angry and calling people assholes won't so anything to change that i'm afraid.

I'm open to ideas, I've got my supporters club membership and my jerseys.. It would just be a bit weird to start posting a tenner to Tynecastle (or wherever) each week tho, no? Maybe offer some ideas instead of just decrying folks as assholes. ;)

I didn't mention magic, so if you're suggesting it as a method, i can't say i think it'll be successful. I mentioned in previous posts a few things that will contribute, and I've mentioned them again above, largely around the competitiveness and perceived status of the league. Ranger returning and the Edinburgh teams both being back will help. Aberdeen need to continue to make the most of the advantage they've had for a few years and improve, continue to be a 3rd force domestically, but really trying to get as far in Europe as they can. The SFAs investing in grassroots, Mackay's going around trying to get clubs to improve their development of home grown talent, but not just that he's been encouraging support and mentoring for younger coaches to help them deal with the pressures in their first jobs. So not just looking to improve players, but management as well. Things are happening which over the longer term will hopefully pay off. I'm not sure a ticket subsidy by the SNP would go down well, given that most of the country doesn't watch football, so i dount that kind of thing will happen. But the point is there's a lot of distance to cover between the two positions of "rely on magic" and "get the government to make sky give us cash". Niether of those two will ever happen. We can have a fair discussion about the things in-between, but again.. running around shouting asshole at people isnt really going to help that, is it?

1st up, i've never said any of the three things you've just accused me of saying, so, calm yourself and try talking like an adult.
You say things like rangers getting to the uefa final make no difference.. but in 2007-2008 rangers got to UEFA final. Celtic got thu the champions league groups and Aberdeen drew with Bayern Munich in the UEFA Cup proper.
What else happened in 2008? Scottish football signed it's (still to this day) biggest TV deal, 50% more than the current one.
So you can sit there with Ormond saying "Andy's talking pish", but your own evidence is right there for you to see.

You then say that basically no one gives a crap and no ones trying to make anything better.. but that's not true either, is it. Neil Doncaster was out a wee while back saying he was talking to BT about selling the TV rights exclusively to them for what would potentially be a record TV deal. So, exactly what this whole thread started out wanting to happen looks like it IS happening.. but still.. sit there with Ormond and say "Andy's talking pish".

So to sum up,
You don't think anyone's trying to make the league more competitive. But they are, with players and managers.
You don't think anyone's trying to get a better deal for Scottish football. But they are and it's almost done.

So you can sit around being angry, calling people assholes and nudging Ormond when he says i'm talking pish.. or.. you can crawl out of your wee blinkered pit of misery and pay some attention to what people are actually trying to do.

Top, top post.

"So : lets assume that Scotland has a population share of 8.4% of Sky Subscribers.
And also that a similar number of small pubs in Scotland pay ~20K (or more) for a Sky Sports TV subscription....
Is there not an argument that population % of this money should be getting returned to Scottish football ? "

I think this is based on a flawed assumption from the start, in that you are assuming that the key reason for a Sky Sports subscribers in Scotland is to watch Scottish Football.

TV Viewing figures SPFL TV Review 16/17 seems to suggest for BT at least that its closer to 2.5% of subscribers watched the SPFL.

It seems to average about 150k viewers across all the games. I understand the average for EPL games is around the 1M mark across all the time slots.

Big Games get close to 2M.

Anecdotally - I can tell you more people would go to my local   to watch Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool or Everton against Burnley or Bournemouth etc..

that would watch any game in the SPL outside the OF games.

Rightly or wrongly I think you may find that the EPL is indirectly subsidising the Scottish League already. ...

As already mentioned this is sport in a free market, its not meant to be fair and never will be.

Edited by DYLANGT7

My local pub pays around £500 per month for Sky and £150 for BT, and to be honest, not too many people go in to watch games, unless it's OF. Even EPL games don't attract many. Must be difficult to justify financially for them. More of a service, as a local pub, not a big city bar with competition.

As DYLANGT7 says most houses have Sky and BT for other channels, and the companies would rather every house had it rather than pubs and clubs, as they would get more money that way.

^ The real question is what % of Scottish subscribers watch Scottish teams.
Compared to nations like Holland, Norway or Denmark we have a piss poor TV deal (but similar attendances in the stadiums!).
We are getting the piss taken out of us by Sky and the BBC.

Look at Aberdeen :  Scotland's 2nd best team last season.
This summer they have lost half their squad to English lower leagues...
Derek McInnes, Ash Taylor, Peter Pawlett, Niall McGinn all gone.
There is no way MK Dons or Ipswich are a bigger team / TV attraction than Aberdeen.

In addition Johnny Hayes is off to warm the bench at Celtic.  Ryan Jack is off to Rangers.
If our second best team cant afford to keep its best players then they will NEVER challenge the old firm.
Lack of competition is not good for Scottish football, or indeed longer term the product as a whole.
If we don't do something radical then the overall health and finances of the entire game will suffer.

A 50:50 of gate receipts (for every game!) and even share of TV money for all SPL teams would be a start at levelling the playing field.  Improve the product by making it more competitive - which eventually leads to a better TV deal. 

Edited by Haggis_trap

22 hours ago, andyD said:

Sunday is not fine! This is honestly the biggest problem we have! Interest in the games is at it's peak on Saturday evenings. That's when folk want it. I go to games most weeks and by the time the Sunday highlights come, i normally decide just to watch them at my leisure online! 

If that's how i feel, how does someone with only a passing interest feel? 

"On after English MOTD" :rolleyes: - Deary-fecking-me! 

As for how much they pay, they have a responsibility to all of us as license payers to get the best deal they can, right? So that they got a good deal from the SFA and an average deal from the English Prem isn't really their fault is it? 

Eh? It's exactly the BBC's fault that they get raped for EPL highlights. The problem is that they are not prepared to pay properly for Scottish football but have no issue in paying fortunes for EPL highlights. They do not have the rights to show Scottish game highlights on a Saturday, yet spend fortunes making sure they can for EPL. They also make a weekly magazine show for English football (Football Focus). So the BBC makes 2.5 hours of English football programming, shown at peak times and at great expense. 

You're the one that argued people want to watch "the best". I pointed out that they don't, they want to watch what the media focuses on. We essentially have an English media who promote English football 24/7. Hence the interest in EPL. 

I'm not talking about Sky specifically. The government could easily regulate to amend the "Crown Jewels" and include weekly highlights. 

Yes. 2.5 hours of EPL every week. 1.5 hours of it at prime time. 

I used to be a member of the Foundation of Hearts. If someone wants to contribute to Scottish football then it's pretty easy to do so, regardless of location. 

I'll respond to the bit below tomorrow. 

So to sum up,

It's not just Scottish football that Sky/English tv coverage and £££ is damaging.  Asian clubs struggle due to local obsession with English football.  Big clubs like Ajax, Malmo, Brugges, Benfica etc are now way below their glory years as they are in the "wrong" country and tv market.

11 minutes ago, Alan said:

It's not just Scottish football that Sky/English tv coverage and £££ is damaging.  Asian clubs struggle due to local obsession with English football.  Big clubs like Ajax, Malmo, Brugges, Benfica etc are now way below their glory years as they are in the "wrong" country and tv market.

That is for those clubs supporters to take it up with their tv companies/fa the gripe here is a scottish football supporter who subscribes to sky and the bbc are forced to pay for a product they may not want there is no opt out.the scottish parliment should be allowed to intervene as it is unfair practice.

Ian

2 hours ago, Alan said:

That is a fair point : Global football budgets have become more polarized.
Most teams now get more revenue from TV than the gate.

However the TV revolution has left Scotland behind - despite clearly having a captive native audience for football.... We should be getting a deal at least equivalent to Norway / Poland / Belgium given the interest in football here.

How many people in Scotland subscribe to SKY ? 
Where does the money end up ?
What is the long term effect on our game on this financial drain ?

Screen-Shot-2017-03-30-at-000635.png

Edited by Haggis_trap

Not sure about Poland, but the deals in place in Norway & Belgium have every game on TV, with games spread over the full weekend. 

I agree that the current SPFL deal with the TV companies is of a lower value than it should be, but comparing with Norway & Belgium is an apples & oranges type comparison. 

• 1 month later...

I've added a few countries for comparison, but when you break this down by a per club basis you get:

• England - £85.5m per club
  • Germany - £50m
  • Italy - £40.3m
  • Spain - £37.7m
  • China - £35.3m
  • France - £31.9m
  • Turkey - £21.4m
  • England (2) - £6.3m
  • Portugal - £6.1m
  • Netherlands - £3.9m
  • Belgium - £3.8m
  • Denmark - £3.3m
  • USA - £3.2m
  • Greece - £3.1m
  • Switzerland - £2.5m
  • Norway - £2.2m
  • Russia - £2.2m
  • Austria - £1.9m
  • Poland - £1.8m
  • Scotland - £1.6m
  • Sweden - £1.3m
  • England (3) - £1.3m
  • England (4) - £900k
  • Wales - £20k
  • England (5) - £5k

The SPFL TV deal is comparable to English League One, ffs.

I think the TV bubble is England is going to burst come the next round of deals - Sky and BT must be losing customers from the very high prices for their services. The current Premier League TV deal is the same as £26.31 per person in the whole of the UK - that's unsustainable.

On 14/06/2017 at 6:20 PM, Alan said:

Wait a min there is a cafe called  "MacBeans"? 

What an utterly dreadful MacName

Who would have guessed you cringing at that Alan lol

Don't turn into even more of a caricature. :D

20 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

I've added a few countries for comparison, but when you break this down by a per club basis you get:

• England - £85.5m per club
  • Germany - £50m
  • Italy - £40.3m
  • Spain - £37.7m
  • China - £35.3m
  • France - £31.9m
  • Turkey - £21.4m
  • England (2) - £6.3m
  • Portugal - £6.1m
  • Netherlands - £3.9m
  • Belgium - £3.8m
  • Denmark - £3.3m
  • USA - £3.2m
  • Greece - £3.1m
  • Switzerland - £2.5m
  • Norway - £2.2m
  • Russia - £2.2m
  • Austria - £1.9m
  • Poland - £1.8m
  • Scotland - £1.6m
  • Sweden - £1.3m
  • England (3) - £1.3m
  • England (4) - £900k
  • Wales - £20k
  • England (5) - £5k

The SPFL TV deal is comparable to English League One, ffs.

I think the TV bubble is England is going to burst come the next round of deals - Sky and BT must be losing customers from the very high prices for their services. The current Premier League TV deal is the same as £26.31 per person in the whole of the UK - that's unsustainable.

Yup, very poor. Would be interesting to see how many of Sky Sports' subscribers were based in Scotland. 

22 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

That's assuming the customer base is restricted to the UK though. There's a huge amount of tv revenue coming from the Asian market in particular. As long as it remains popular out there English football will still be raking it in.

32 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That's assuming the customer base is restricted to the UK though. There's a huge amount of tv revenue coming from the Asian market in particular. As long as it remains popular out there English football will still be raking it in.

That based purely on the Sky and BT deals - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31379128

It's £5.136bn over three seasons; £1.712bn per season; £85.6m per club per season.

I think it's £1bn extra per season when you include the overseas deal - an extra £12.5m per club.

I think the TV bubble is England is going to burst come the next round of deals. Sky and BT must be losing customers from the very high prices for their services.

Yip - plus more and more people streaming matches illegally online.
I suspect live football could go the way of CD sales/MP3s and be crippled by the internet ?
We eventually end with a "spotify model" which is available to wider audience for lower fee.
i,e pay for the matches you want.