Last 4 matches - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Last 4 matches

romanticscot

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2017-6-25 at 9:33 PM, macy37 said:

Some absolute rockets on here think we've a chance for 2nd place.

I'd be amazed if we managed two wins. 

Typical Scottish attitude . We are probably the most negative minded nation in the world hence the reason we failed to become Independent. Nation of losers.

Edited by Doric

31 minutes ago, Doric said:

Typical Scottish attitude . We are probably the most negative minded nation in the world hence the reason we failed to become Independent. Nation of losers.

Naw we didnt become independent because common sense prevailed.  

17 hours ago, Doric said:

I agree with this, it's deep-rooted in our psyche.

The minute the group was drawn, we were aiming for second place, pathetic stuff really.

Our recent match against England was a fairly even contest in my opinion yet our national manager comes out after the game and says, 'it was like watching a faitherweight box a heavyweight.'

Anybody who did not see the game would think we were absolutely battered from start to finish.

Our population is over 5 milion, our national sport is football, therefore our ambition should be to win either the Euros or World Cup, why not?

36 minutes ago, Daz1982 said:

Our population is over 5 milion, our national sport is football, therefore our ambition should be to win either the Euros or World Cup, why not?

Has Bonny hacked your account? :blink:

5 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

I agree with this, it's deep-rooted in our psyche.

The minute the group was drawn, we were aiming for second place, pathetic stuff really.

Our recent match against England was a fairly even contest in my opinion yet our national manager comes out after the game and says, 'it was like watching a faitherweight box a heavyweight.'

Anybody who did not see the game would think we were absolutely battered from start to finish.

Only one country with a population less than about 40 million has won the World Cup and that was about 70 years ago or something so I think that might be a bit too ambitious. It's almost as difficult to win the European championships these days as well. 

I think we should be aiming for (and regularly achieving) qualification for a major tournament at least every 4-6 years and hopefully making the second round now and again.

Sadly, grassroots football in Scotland is on its erse and until we get that sorted we are going to struggle. 

We might qualify for the odd tournament but I think we are looking at once every 20 years or something. 

37 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Only one country with a population less than about 40 million has won the World Cup and that was about 70 years ago or something so I think that might be a bit too ambitious. It's almost as difficult to win the European championships these days as well. 

I think we should be aiming for (and regularly achieving) qualification for a major tournament at least every 4-6 years and hopefully making the second round now and again.

Sadly, grassroots football in Scotland is on its erse and until we get that sorted we are going to struggle. 

We might qualify for the odd tournament but I think we are looking at once every 20 years or something. 

we haven't made a play off since 2003

9 minutes ago, Bino's said:

we haven't made a play off since 2003

I'm only too aware of this painful fact. What's your point? 

My point was we should be aiming to qualify regularly as opposed to Daz1982's ridiculous idea that we should be aiming to win the World Cup.

Sadly, we are nowhere near where we should be aiming to be.  

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

My point was we should be aiming to qualify regularly as opposed to Daz1982's ridiculous idea that we should be aiming to win the World Cup.

my point was just that rather than aiming to qualify every 4-6 years I would like us to even make a play off and hopefully not get beaten 6-1 in it

9 minutes ago, Bino's said:

my point was just that rather than aiming to qualify every 4-6 years I would like us to even make a play off and hopefully not get beaten 6-1 in it

Me too mate but we were talking about where a country of our population, footballing history and infrastructure should be aiming for and not what we be an improvement on our current beleaguered state. 

I don't think too many people would be satisfied with a playoff every 14 years but I think most of us would be happy with a trip to the finals of a major tournament every 4-6 years. 

I would be delighted with a playoff in this campaign though and believe it could still happen. 

1 hour ago, Bino's said:
2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

My point is that if you do not aim to be the very best then what is the point? Aim for 2nd, 3rd, 4th best and that's what you'll get.

Go through every nation in Europe and consider their best ever run in a tournament, think we are undoubtedly the biggest underachievers.

All the home nations have progressed further and here's some more.......

Bulgaria, Semis WC 94

Sweden, Semis EC 92 and WC 94

Iceland, QF EC 2016

Turkey, SF WC 2002

.........and yet we think that it's somehow impossible! Why?

Bulgaria, Sweden , Iceland, Turkey

each one of those was from a golden generation

we had three decades of golden generations one after the other in the 60's, 70's and 80's and couldn't get out of a group stage

3 hours ago, Doric said:

Aye now called Brits. Gave up their right to be Scottish.

yep i can smell a hun, why you not on engurlands fan forum ya big unionist dumplin

33 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Bulgaria, Sweden , Iceland, Turkey

each one of those was from a golden generation

we had three decades of golden generations one after the other in the 60's, 70's and 80's and couldn't get out of a group stage

Got me thinkin' Bino's...   Qualified for nothing in the 60's, and not for the Euros until the 90's.

Just a squint at the 60's:   1965, an unfancied Poland (not like now) beat us 2-1 at Hampden vs  Brown, Hamilton, McCreadie, Crerand, McNeill, Greig, Henderson, Bremner, Gilzean, Law, W.Johnston.   We can feck it up in any decade!   (In fairness, in the 62 & 70 WC qualifiers we narrowly lost out to good Czech & W.German sides with no 2nd place playoffs then.)

Edited by Grim Jim
...and therefore missed out on '66 WC finals.

51 minutes ago, Daz1982 said:

.........and yet we think that it's somehow impossible! Why?

Anything is possible but you need to be realistic at the same time. 

The belief that you can win a tournament, or at least go deep, has to be based on something. 

It's all very well saying we should be aiming to win tournaments but what are you basing that on? The fact that some other similar sized countries have done well in one World Cup? That's like saying I should be able to win the 100m at the olympics because I'm the same height as Usain Bolt.

Things can change quickly in football. A few years ago Northern Ireland were absolute dross, way worse than we are now, and now they have qualified for the euros and are challenging in their group.

Hopefully we can get back to qualifying regularly again ourselves but if we ever go deep in a tournament or even win it, it would be a major shock.

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

Got me thinkin' Bino's...   Qualified for nothing in the 60's, and not for the Euros until the 90's.

Just a squint at the 60's:   1965, an unfancied Poland (not like now) beat us 2-1 at Hampden vs  Brown, Hamilton, McCreadie, Crerand, McNeill, Greig, Henderson, Bremner, Gilzean, Law, W.Johnston.   We can feck it up in any decade!   (In fairness, in the 62 & 70 WC qualifiers we narrowly lost out to good Czech & W.German sides with no 2nd place playoffs then.)

our most famous win ever at Wembley 67 was actually part of qualifying for euro 68

used the British championships as our regions qualifier and despite our Wembley win we lost to n Ireland and...i think, drew with Wales so England went to euros

they lost on semi to Yugoslavia

Edited by Bino's

15 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Every team in our group has lost late goals in this campaign.  England conceded two in one game.

Talking bout reallllly late.   Slovakia v eng... Scot v lith.  Scot v eng...   Going back to 2015.. Scot v poland.  Another exampl of naw bottle 

2 hours ago, bonny78 said:

Talking bout reallllly late.   Slovakia v eng... Scot v lith.  Scot v eng...   Going back to 2015.. Scot v poland.  Another exampl of naw bottle 

You've lost me.  What's the cut-off at which point you have no bottle?

And it was Scotland who got the late goal v Lithuania for that matter.  And against Slovenia, and England.  Do they not count?

Edited by adamntg