London Bridge Incident - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

London Bridge Incident

I've posted this dozens of times. but check what came out in court over BAE.

BAE: secret papers reveal threats from Saudi prince

Spectre of ‘another 7/7’ led Tony Blair to block bribes inquiry, high court told

Saudi Arabia's rulers threatened to make it easier for terrorists to attack London unless corruption investigations into their arms deals were halted, according to court documents revealed yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/feb/15/bae.armstrade

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Really? Depends why they didn't line up. I'd have done it, without question. However, I'd find it bizarre that there's a minutes silence specifically for an incident like that, when hundreds of people have died in other incidents far closer to both these countries and they haven't been marked. 

What would you find bizarre about Australia wanting a minutes silence for the two Australian victims who died in the London Bridge incident?  

27 minutes ago, phart said:

I've posted this dozens of times. but check what came out in court over BAE.

BAE: secret papers reveal threats from Saudi prince

Spectre of ‘another 7/7’ led Tony Blair to block bribes inquiry, high court told

Saudi Arabia's rulers threatened to make it easier for terrorists to attack London unless corruption investigations into their arms deals were halted, according to court documents revealed yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/feb/15/bae.armstrade

What a world 

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

Really? Depends why they didn't line up. I'd have done it, without question. However, I'd find it bizarre that there's a minutes silence specifically for an incident like that, when hundreds of people have died in other incidents far closer to both these countries and they haven't been marked. 

There were two Australian victims, one of them was from South Australia where the game was being played. 

There was no breakdown in communication, the Saudi's were fully briefed well before the game that a minutes silence would be held and what the formalities were to be but decided shortly before kick off that they would not line up at the centre circle. They have issued an apology today for any offence this may have caused.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tartandon said:

I wonder if there will be a national minute's silence for last night terrorist attack on the worshippers at the London mosque during the holy month of Ramadan

Doesn't seem to be any criteria. Can't remember any silence for the Glasgow shopkeeper who was murdered for wishing his customers a Happy Easter.  I fear its all got very politicised, is it about standing against terrorism, national unity, respect for the dead? I don't know, certainly didn't have it in the Troubles for Enniskillen or Omagh.

Having a minute's silence in my work at 12pm today "in remembrance of the individual who lost his life and those affected in the Finsbury Park attack"

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Was this an official thing or just within your workplace? 

The landlord of the building we're in announced it was happening earlier in the morning, so not just our workplace. It was at the same time as Ally Bongo's workplace minute's silence too so it's either coincidence or there is some committee somewhere that decides when these things happen. It would seem that committee is, sadly, very busy these days.