Scottish second sight - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does antone believe that Meadiums have the ability to see into the future? Therea a local medium who has a fantastic reputation for giving accurate readings, i ahave always been tempted to go but am a bit scared to be honest. I have read a few articles regarding the "scottish foresight" and how a higher proportion of people in scotland, especially women from the highlands claim to have this ability.I am very sceptical when it comes to it however my granny always claimed to be able to read the fire, 6 months before her death she said she would never look intonthe fire again.My mother claims she saw her own death.

When I lived in Dundee in the early 80's our landlady and her cleaner went to see some old wifie who had "the gift".  They'd had no prior contact other than arranging the appointment but as soon as they were in the door she said to them, "Your boyfriend's a painter and decorator and so's yours."  Completely true.

She then told the landlady she had a brother in Australia and then added, "But he's not your real brother cos you're adopted."  None of us that lived in the flats even knew that and we were all pretty good pals with her.  The other weird one was, "You'll be separated in November from a small black animal that'll misbehave."  She was getting married in November and not taking her wee black dug Kada on the honeymoon.  Kada used to hate it when her mistress left her behind and always acted up.

There's some charlatans out there no doubt but I well remember those two telling me the above.  Seriously weird stuff.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Does antone believe that Meadiums have the ability to see into the future? Therea a local medium who has a fantastic reputation for giving accurate readings, i ahave always been tempted to go but am a bit scared to be honest. I have read a few articles regarding the "scottish foresight" and how a higher proportion of people in scotland, especially women from the highlands claim to have this ability.I am very sceptical when it comes to it however my granny always claimed to be able to read the fire, 6 months before her death she said she would never look intonthe fire again.My mother claims she saw her own death.

Maybe she had central heating installed

Edited by scoobydoo

My mother had it. She told us after my brother's death that se had known for many years she was going to lose one of her sons.  When I asked her how she just said she'd "seen" it in her minds eye as it were. She also said if she'd let it continue  she would have known which one it was to be but she stopped "it" before it got that far. She confessed she always thought it would be me because of the stuff I did , she was up to high doe when I went to the Gulf , then came back and went to N.I . It was while I was in NI we lost my brother .  

The postscript to this is she maintains he came to see her weeks after his death and spoke to her saying "Mum  I have to go now ,you need to stop this and move on" (Both my parents never really recovered from his death) 

You can believe this or not but I can add to this , my experience ... I went back t NI after his funeral , I was due out on a task in the wee small hours and had gone to bed early , I was suddenly awake and felt  there was someone in my bunk, I turned over thinking it was my oppo come to wake me for the task , as I looked round I saw my brother standing there clear as day I looked again and he was gone ............ I would have dismissed it as a dream other than the "feeling " of him being there. I was physically shaking . 

Make of it what you will but it's 100% fact. 

No it's all nonsense and the best analogy for mediums and psychics would be gamblers and the probability of winning

Precognition what Mactaz describes is basically dreams where the mind creates convincing but false impressions of reality

In the world we live in the possibility of children dying before their parents is quite high and it is a fear all parents have.

Sometimes it comes true but not because anyone foresaw it

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

No it's all nonsense and the best analogy for mediums and psychics would be gamblers and the probability of winning

Precognition what Mactaz describes is basically dreams where the mind creates convincing but false impressions of reality

In the world we live in the possibility of children dying before their parents is quite high and it is a fear all parents have.

Sometimes it comes true but not because anyone foresaw it

I'm very open to the paranormal's existence and have had one particularly weird experience myself but you are right.

The majority of it is down to a wide variety of things like dreams, flashbacks, self-delusion, frontal lobe epilepsy, intake of alcohol, medications, drugs, carbon dioxide poisoning or just a plain old hyper active imagination. 

Guest flumax

Bullsh!t min.

Barnum statements, positive recollection.. Etc etc. 

Come along to skeptics in the pub in Aberdeen.   if you've anything worth discussing,  We'll make you see sense. 

I used to work with someone who reckoned they had "the gift" or whatever. I used to argue a fair bit with her, so one time I asked if she could speak to my Granny. She reckoned that she'd be able to - so I said when you do, ask her what her middle name was. If you come back with a correct answer then I'll believe you.

She left me alone after that.

8 hours ago, MacTaz said:

My mother had it. She told us after my brother's death that se had known for many years she was going to lose one of her sons.  When I asked her how she just said she'd "seen" it in her minds eye as it were. She also said if she'd let it continue  she would have known which one it was to be but she stopped "it" before it got that far. She confessed she always thought it would be me because of the stuff I did , she was up to high doe when I went to the Gulf , then came back and went to N.I . It was while I was in NI we lost my brother .  

The postscript to this is she maintains he came to see her weeks after his death and spoke to her saying "Mum  I have to go now ,you need to stop this and move on" (Both my parents never really recovered from his death) 

You can believe this or not but I can add to this , my experience ... I went back t NI after his funeral , I was due out on a task in the wee small hours and had gone to bed early , I was suddenly awake and felt  there was someone in my bunk, I turned over thinking it was my oppo come to wake me for the task , as I looked round I saw my brother standing there clear as day I looked again and he was gone ............ I would have dismissed it as a dream other than the "feeling " of him being there. I was physically shaking . 

Make of it what you will but it's 100% fact. 

I had a very similar experience, i would have added it to my starter post but knew i would be ridiculed haha,, my on off girl freind from my childhood who was my my closest friend i ever had was killed in a car crash,, the night it happened (before i knew anything) i had a very strange dream, basically i had murdered my friend. I was woken up by the phone ringing.I knew before i picked the phone up that something bad had happened to my friend.Maybe coincidence but strange all the same 

11 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Would you like to buy some magic beans? 

Lassie in my work was away seeing one at the weekend and said she was "really good" and knew things like her Granny being deid.......  She conveniently glossed over things like the fraudster saying she was married (she's not) and had 3 kids (she has none) but hey, she knew someone in their mid 30s had a deid granny so she must have some sort of gift!! :rolleyes:

As a nipper, I once woke up in the middle of the night and Bernard Cribbins was sitting on my bedroom floor.  It was incredibly real and I was so scared at the time I just hid under the covers and eventually fell asleep again.  Anyway, point being, I very much doubt that Bernard's very busy Jackanory schedule would have permitted him a night off solely for the purpose of siting on my bedroom floor.  If it had been a non-descript figure, I would probably still be believing today that I'd see a ghost. The fact that I saw Bernhard and he clearly wasn't there just highlighted to me why people believe they've seen such things but actually haven't. 

Would love it all to be true.....but sadly, I really don't think it is.

There's plenty we don't understand yet...for example - conscious thought - what is the nature of its existence and where exactly is it in space or does thought/imagination inhabit a different dimension to our normal three spatial dimensions...and whilst it seems most or all animals have thought, what about plants for example? They know where sunlight is, some can catch prey, some clan sting or harm...is any of that a type of plant consciousness that we haven't considered yet?

My missus believes in all that stuff. 

Im quite open minded,but she and my step son have had some weird experiences. 

She said she seen an older woman beside me when I was sleeping and had a name in her head that she didn't want to tell me to see if anything rung a bell. 

Turms out it was a nickname that my Greg Grunny had for me when I was a baby,she passed away about 25 years ago or so,it's not something anyone but my mum and dad would've really known.  

The bairn still says things about when he was with his dad (who died when he was 2),like he remembers it all from times they had spent together from his birth. 

Weve also got a photo of him wearing a kids pirate hook over his hand which had a face appear in it,it's rather freaky. 

Ive had the occasional deja vu when something has happened and I seem to recall it happening before,although I'm special in other ways really. 

The Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Christopher Brookmyre is a good read (as are all of his books). This one is set in the world of fortune tellers etc and comes up with some good theories to debunk all this stuff. It's a cracking story too.

Edited by Marky