Renault Clio - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My wife has an 08 Reg Clio. The headlights won't  go off so I took it to the garage the other day. They said it was the fuse box had blown and it would cost £220 plus vat for the box alone. I laughed and said you are joking right ? Does anyone know anything about electrics? I keep hearing this is a common thing with Renaults.  This is basically the only thing that has gone wrong with this car in the 7 years we have had it. We were just about to part exchange as well.

Prices for spare parts are outrageous.  Try a breaker's yard for a second hand part.

If the lights won't go out, it would suggest a fault in the light switch rather than a fuse problem or maybe a fault in the headlight relay if there is one.  If a fuse itself has blown, the component affected would not work.  To get the lights to be on, you need the circuit to be complete and if either the fuse is blown or the switch is not in the on position and functional, you won't get any lights on.

Try pulling the individual fuse out and see if that makes a difference.

Some headlights are wired up through a relay (basically an electrically operated switch where a small current through the light switch is used to trigger a device that passes the higher current needed by the powerful light bulbs).  If that is the case in your Clio, possibly it is the relay that is malfunctioning and sticking on.  Changing the relay should solve that one, and it might even be possible to open it up and clean the contacts etc. to get it working again.

ETA:  have a look at this link:  http://howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=179822   which suggests it may indeed be the headlight relay.  the most relevant post is probably this one:

The cure for Clio 2008 onwards - both dipped headlights or both head lights not working or will not turn off.. Fuses all OK and 'dipped beam' or 'full beam’ illuminated as normal on dash board.
I traced the fault to a relay. The relay/fuse box sits on the top of the offside wing. right hand side of the battery. Not the fuse box in front of the battery. Access by unscrewing the two 'star headed' screws, the lid can then be removed. 
I advise the use of a Haynes Manual fuse/relay-box diagram to identify the correct relay, since inside the box are two bank of relays and two banks of fuses. Each relay has a part number indented on its top surface - take care not to obliterate the part number! Each relay is very difficult to pull vertical. It proved easier to pull all out in turn from the rows end. Place them so they can be returned in the correct order.
Tip …. Check the water gulley is clear below the windscreen. If blocked water tends to overflow onto the relay/fuse box. Apparently access of damp getting into the relay/fuse box can blow a relay.

I can vouch for the problems caused with electrics by water getting into components due to the windscreen drain being blocked.  Major problems with a lot of Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda models due to leaves blocking the rubber drain pipe under the battery and eventually getting into the cabin once the water level rises enough.

Edited by Alibi

Got my Clio new in 2013 and I replace headlights and rear lights every 3-4 months. Indicators last about 9 months. I love my wee car but detest the lights. Bloody Bluetooth is knackered now too. 

32 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Got my Clio new in 2013 and I replace headlights and rear lights every 3-4 months. Indicators last about 9 months. I love my wee car but detest the lights. Bloody Bluetooth is knackered now too. 

You have a driving licence? :mellow::huh::o

Had a Clio (07 Reg) from 2011 to 2015. 

Was a good wee car but I agree, the electrics are really poor. Was always buying fuses and bulbs and the fan resistor went too. 

Guy I sold it too wrote it off I believe :lol: 

its a shame they're let down by the electrics because the engine is great. We have a Fiesta as our second car and it's significantly better in build quality. 

Appreciate the comments. Unfortunately my location  limits choices in terms of breakers yard and dealerships and due to being officially in between jobs:mellow: we are limited to one car at the moment. I bit the bullet and forked out the cash. We are part exchanging for Nissan Juke (awaits shaking heads ;))

The Clio was a great little car and we were very lucky with it. Only done 23,000 miles as well.

On 2017-5-19 at 4:59 PM, EddardStark said:

Appreciate the comments. Unfortunately my location  limits choices in terms of breakers yard and dealerships and due to being officially in between jobs:mellow: we are limited to one car at the moment. I bit the bullet and forked out the cash. We are part exchanging for Nissan Juke (awaits shaking heads ;))

The Clio was a great little car and we were very lucky with it. Only done 23,000 miles as well.

There's a site where you can get breakers across the country to offer you parts. They are pretty good but you do need to know what you are looking for. 

On 17/05/2017 at 11:07 PM, andymac said:

You have a driving licence? :mellow::huh::o

Sort of. It's about time I started one of my, 'I've not seen my driving licence for years and moved home lots of times, how do I get a new licence without getting into trouble?'  thread

:(

• 2 years later...

Hi I have an issue with my clio 2013 the headlights aren't working looks like the stick to control them is not working side lights and spots are grand but not a kick out of my head lights I have changed the bulbs does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

11 hours ago, Neady said:

Hi I have an issue with my clio 2013 the headlights aren't working looks like the stick to control them is not working side lights and spots are grand but not a kick out of my head lights I have changed the bulbs does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Have you tried sticking it in a bowl of rice ? 

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Might just be a blown fuse, but could be a faulty switch.  As both headlights are out, it's unlikely the fault is within the actual headlight itself.

Ok think it's the switch on it as fuses have power going to them 

1 hour ago, Neady said:

Ok think it's the switch on it as fuses have power going to them 

Having power going to the fuse doesn't tell you very much. You need to find the headlight fuse and check if there is power going through it. The easiest way to check is to change the fuse and see if the lights work. My money is on a fuse. If it keeps blowing fuses you will need to find out why and fix that.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:56 PM, Orraloon said:

Having power going to the fuse doesn't tell you very much. You need to find the headlight fuse and check if there is power going through it. The easiest way to check is to change the fuse and see if the lights work. My money is on a fuse. If it keeps blowing fuses you will need to find out why and fix that.

Got it sorted was the switch thanks for all the comments