Rugby World Cup - Page 7 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rugby World Cup

Tartan_Don

On 9/11/2019 at 12:25 PM, GaryWood34 said:

Incredible and equally baffling that if any match is suspended due to bad weather the match will be a DRAW and not replayed despite any scoreline in said match.

With it being monsoon season there is every chance this happens.

Also does anyone think that the fixtures & group have been set to benefit the host nation.

The group Japan have includes the weakest 2nd seed and the lowest ranked team in the tournament.

The fixtures are also fairly odd.

Game 1 : Japan Vs Russia (lowest ranked team and never won a world cup match)

Scotland (Japans probable direct competition) v World Number 1 side

Gets a bit of momentum going.

Game 5 Japan v Scotland in effectively a shoot out.

Now it is in everyone's interests for Japan to get out of the group, let's hope that doesn't filter to the officials....

Well I told you so....

what a con 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Cancelling the matches is a terrible idea, I'm not just saying this because its Scotland. Japan would be In the quarter finals but not on merit and everyone watching would know it. 

Aye, they have the reputation and commercial value of the competition to think about. Which will be why they are considering moving the games. Also Japan will be thinking (quite rightly) that they have a decent chance of winning the game, and going through with dignity and respect.  On balance, I think they will move it rather than cancel it. I suppose we will just have to wait and see. Plenty time for the forecast to change between now and Sunday.

23 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A decision (for now) has been made. The England V France mstch is OFF on Saturday as is Italy's next match. The Scotland match is still on for now but another decision will be made 6 hours before kick-off. It is expected that the Typhoon will have passed through by then.

The governing body are saying the decisions made were made on the basis of fan safety. Hmmm so moving the matches to another day was not an option? I smell shite 

24 minutes ago, biffer said:

So, Italy have been kicked out of the competition without playing their last game.

anyone who thinks they won’t do that to us as well is dreaming.

You would instinctively think that there's no way they could just cancel this game given how finely balanced the group is but that's exactly what they've already done as you say with the 2 Saturday games cancelled. 

I was thinking that the Saturday games cancelled were perhaps from groups that would have been already settled but having now looked at the detail it looks like: 

Pool B -  The draw/cancellation of NZ v Italy means that NZ were awarded top spot above South Africa and Italy eliminated. The cancellation effectively denied Italy the chance to topple NZ and qualify for the QF, however unlikely that would have been. 

Pool D - England v France would effectively have been a battle for top spot - deciding whether they play Wales or Australia in the QF. The draw settled that and simply awarded England the top spot. 

The real danger now is that they've set the precedent by implementing the rules that they had established pre-tournament. They'll not worry about doing it again.

I think our only hope is for the weather to improve.

They have turned the whole tournament into a farce. If one of the big teams were going to get knocked out by this they would have sorted something out. The amount of money this tournament is generating they could afford to fly all teams affected anywhere in the world to get these games played. If NZ needed to win their last game to get through this wouldn't be happening.

1 hour ago, biffer said:

So, Italy have been kicked out of the competition without playing their last game.

anyone who thinks they won’t do that to us as well is dreaming.

World rugby have already said the game is either played Sunday or not all.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

World rugby have already said the game is either played Sunday or not all.

To be fair, they are following the rules they set down before the competition started. There should have been better contingency plans though. And I am still certain they wouldn't allow one of the big teams to be knocked out in this manner. 

If the game doesn't get played, I will always be absolutely certain (inside my own head anyway) that we would have gone on to beat the All Blacks in the QF. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.:lol:

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

They have turned the whole tournament into a farce. If one of the big teams were going to get knocked out by this they would have sorted something out. The amount of money this tournament is generating they could afford to fly all teams affected anywhere in the world to get these games played. If NZ needed to win their last game to get through this wouldn't be happening.

Totally agree. Turning it into a complete joke. If it was the woeld cup at football .match just gets played somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

To be fair, they are following the rules they set down before the competition started. There should have been better contingency plans though. And I am still certain they wouldn't allow one of the big teams to be knocked out in this manner. 

I don't think the rules mention cancelling matches 3 days in advance.  Surely a contingency could be made to play at another venue with that notice period available?

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

I don't think the rules mention cancelling matches 3 days in advance.  Surely a contingency could be made to play at another venue with that notice period available?

Aye, you would think so, and I'm sure that would have happened if one of the big teams were going to get knocked out because of it.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If the game doesn't get played, I will always be absolutely certain (inside my own head anyway) that we would have gone on to beat the All Blacks in the QF. Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.:lol:

Exactly.

I’m getting a T-Shirt printed.

“Scotland RWC Champions 2019

Prove otherwise.”

Walesonline reported there are rumours the all blacks were offered a chance to play the match on Monday but refused because of the turnaround time for the quarter final match. 

Hansen claims they would have played the match today if offered, the Italians are not happy because they had a chance, a very tiny chance but a chance all the same. 

Apparently both Japan and Scotland want the match played.

whatever happens there has to be changes at the top of world rugby, cancelling matches when teams have a chance to qualify completely destroys any integrity they had. Sporting integrity, remember that?😂

If New Zealand needed four or five points to qualify, would the match be cancelled?

world rugby can babble on about safety all they want, they had a safe option staring them in the face.......bring the weekend matches forward or move them back a day or two, it’s not rocket science. Instead they opted for the worst possible outcome. They’ve made the SFA look competent