Rugby World Cup - Page 6 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rugby World Cup

Tartan_Don

3 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

So we're potentially going to be four points behind Japan when we play them but it seems to be the case that we're likely to need to get a bonus point and deny them one, therefore winning by five points to overtake them.

What if we win by four, with neither side getting a bonus point or both getting one? Is it points difference? Or have I missed something that means we can't finish tied on points?

If two teams finish on the same number of league points, the first criteria is head to head result. So we would go through if we finish on the same points total as Japan.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

If two teams finish on the same number of league points, the first criteria is head to head result. So we would go through if we finish on the same points total as Japan.

Cheers. So a non bonus point win for Japan over Samoa would indeed be very helpful, assuming we get ours against Russia.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

Cheers. So a non bonus point win for Japan over Samoa would indeed be very helpful, assuming we get ours against Russia.

Aye, that would be helpful whether we get a bonus point against Russia or not. 

How very Scottish - Japan scoring the BP in the 84th minute.

Fair does to Japan, they knew exactly what they need to do and never give up. Good luck to them once they inevitability get past us in to the QFs.

We cannae really complain though , losing 27-3 and like Italy losing 49-3 yesterday to the Boks albeit with 14 men ; shows that you probably don't really deserve to be in the QFs.

Saying that, if we do it, fair dues to them ; but going to be a task to beat them by 8 points or more.

We need to get the bonus point from the Russia game, which I think we will get.

It's still all in our own hands but Japan will be thinking the same. It's all set up for us to beat Japan with a bonus point, but to still go out because they get two bonus points. :lol: I can foresee a fantastic game that we win 35 - 30 with both teams scoring 4 tries and they kick a penalty with the last kick of the game.

45 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

How very Scottish - Japan scoring the BP in the 84th minute.

Fair does to Japan, they knew exactly what they need to do and never give up. Good luck to them once they inevitability get past us in to the QFs.

We cannae really complain though , losing 27-3 and like Italy losing 49-3 yesterday to the Boks albeit with 14 men ; shows that you probably don't really deserve to be in the QFs.

Saying that, if we do it, fair dues to them ; but going to be a task to beat them by 8 points or more.

Scotland are more than capable of beating japan by more than 8

What’s the general feeling from hardcore rugby fans about bonus points? They’ve been around a few years now and seem to be widely accepted but they still feel a bit weird to me. Have they led to more try-scoring, assuming that was the intention?

1 minute ago, wee-toon-red said:

What’s the general feeling from hardcore rugby fans about bonus points? They’ve been around a few years now and seem to be widely accepted but they still feel a bit weird to me. Have they led to more try-scoring, assuming that was the intention?

Dont think I'd class myself of hardcore. I've only been watching glasgow on tv and going to matches at murrayfield since 2010 but I'm a fan of the  bonus point system 

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Dont think I'd class myself of hardcore. I've only been watching glasgow on tv and going to matches at murrayfield since 2010 but I'm a fan of the  bonus point system 

I agree. Today's game was the prime example. If there was no bonus point on offer, Japan would have been happy just to win the game. They could have just tried to close the game down in the last five, ten minutes. Instead they had to keep going right to the final whistle.

I’m not the biggest Fan of Rugby Union, and don’t really understand all the laws, from what I see there’s too much going on to see everything, but do go to the England match every two years, when workmates from Leeds come north for the weekend, the social side is better than the spectacle.

In this World Cup Scotland will have a tough task to qualify especially after their poor show against Ireland.

Yesterday I watched the end of Japan v Samoa where Japan gained a bonus point for a 4th try. Can someone tell me. Why did Samoa not just end the game when they clearly couldn’t win the game. Why did the ref give Japan a put into scrum when every put in is squint anyway. Finally why do they award a bonus point for a close defeat ? No sport should award any points or credit for having lost

1 hour ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

I’m not the biggest Fan of Rugby Union, and don’t really understand all the laws, from what I see there’s too much going on to see everything, but do go to the England match every two years, when workmates from Leeds come north for the weekend, the social side is better than the spectacle.

In this World Cup Scotland will have a tough task to qualify especially after their poor show against Ireland.

Yesterday I watched the end of Japan v Samoa where Japan gained a bonus point for a 4th try. Can someone tell me. Why did Samoa not just end the game when they clearly couldn’t win the game. Why did the ref give Japan a put into scrum when every put in is squint anyway. Finally why do they award a bonus point for a close defeat ? No sport should award any points or credit for having lost

I guess that they thought that if they could score a try they would get a bonus point. It would have been some try if they had managed to score from that position, right enough. If they had got that bonus point they would have still had an outside chance of going through. I think?

Some put ins to the scrum are squinter than others. The ref makes a judgement call. It's a discussion point in lots of games of rugby.

The bonus points for 4 tries or for a close defeat were introduced to try to keep more games exciting right up to the final whistle. Lots of games were ending like a damp squib as teams were happy just to close the game down in the last five minutes. The only reason that game yesterday was exciting right to the end was because of the bonus points.

Edited by Orraloon

20 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I guess that they thought that if they could score a try they would get a bonus point. It would have been some try if they had managed to score from that position, right enough. If they had got that bonus point they would have still had an outside chance of going through. I think?

Some put ins to the scrum are squinter than others. The ref makes a judgement call. It's a discussion point in lots of games of rugby.

The bonus points for 4 tries or for a close defeat were introduced to try to keep more games exciting right up to the final whistle. Lots of games were ending like a damp squib as teams were happy just to close the game down in the last five minutes. The only reason that game yesterday was exciting right to the end was because of the bonus points.

With a bonus point they would have had a shot at finishing 3rd in the group which would have given them automatic qualification for the next World Cup.

Looks like Typhoon Hagibis could possibly threaten the Ireland v Samoa match. If so it would be declared a draw which would be bad news for Ireland.

14 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

With a bonus point they would have had a shot at finishing 3rd in the group which would have given them automatic qualification for the next World Cup.

Hadn't thought about that.:ok:

I think they could still have got 2nd place though (arithmetically anyway). If they could also beat Ireland with a bonus point and stop Ireland getting a bonus point (unlikely, I know ), they would have finished equal on points with Ireland but above them on head to head. Then Japan beat Scotland , Samoa go through. 

20 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Looks like Typhoon Hagibis could possibly threaten the Ireland v Samoa match. If so it would be declared a draw which would be bad news for Ireland.

Might be our best chance of going through. We would probably still manage to blow it though. :lol:

If Ireland fail to get the bonus point against Samoa it could get even more interesting. It could give us the chance to win the group. But for that to happen we would need to get 5 points off Japan AND allow Japan to get one bonus point but not two. I think that is right? 

Sounds like they might want to move the matches rather than "Cancel" them or risk having them "Abandoned" ? Although, I think they would also quite like Japan to go through so that might also influence their decision. The England game isn't quite so important as they are both going through anyway, but "cancelling" that game wouldn't be good for the RWC reputation with the TV companies. Big decision to be made.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Sounds like they might want to move the matches rather than "Cancel" them or risk having them "Abandoned" ? Although, I think they would also quite like Japan to go through so that might also influence their decision. The England game isn't quite so important as they are both going through anyway, but "cancelling" that game wouldn't be good for the RWC reputation with the TV companies. Big decision to be made.

Cancelling the matches is a terrible idea, I'm not just saying this because its Scotland. Japan would be In the quarter finals but not on merit and everyone watching would know it.