Rugby World Cup - Page 10 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rugby World Cup

Tartan_Don

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe not always but we certainly make the quarter apearances alot which is what I meant.

Tbh at the most a dozen rugby teams are good enough to challenge for the quarter finals so being 1 of the 8 isn't that huge an achievement. 

33 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe not always but we certainly make the quarter apearances alot which is what I meant.

2011 lost to Argentina in the groups.

2019 out to Japan in the groups.

There's a decisive case in mitigation in the 2015 QF thanks to that c*nt Joubert.

But no - certainly not always.

36 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Tbh at the most a dozen rugby teams are good enough to challenge for the quarter finals so being 1 of the 8 isn't that huge an achievement. 

This is what I am talking about with negativity. South africa, England, France Australia, Italy are all massively bigger in population and in South Africa and Australia the sport is more popular than it is in Scotland. We do reasonably well in rugby for a nation our size. Yes we could do better but that's life, small countries go through spells when they are good and spells when they are poor.

What do ppl expect, for us to dominate a sport when we are competing against countries with ten times our population?

36 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

This is what I am talking about with negativity. South africa, England, France Australia, Italy are all massively bigger in population and in South Africa and Australia the sport is more popular than it is in Scotland. We do reasonably well in rugby for a nation our size. Yes we could do better but that's life, small countries go through spells when they are good and spells when they are poor.

What do ppl expect, for us to dominate a sport when we are competing against countries with ten times our population?

New Zealand do it which proves that it is actually possible.

Edited by Daz1982

21 minutes ago, Daz1982 said:

New Zealand do it which proves that it is actually possible.

It's new Zealands national sport, they are massively passionate about rugby. I am not suggesting we cant do better but to suggest that we are terrible or a nation of losers because we don't dominate rugby is negative to say the least.

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's new Zealands national sport, they are massively passionate about rugby. I am not suggesting we cant do better but to suggest that we are terrible or a nation of losers because we don't dominate rugby is negative to say the 

Rugby is a way of life For a lot of new zealanders. They take it more seriously than any other nation 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Just being realistic, reaching the World Cup quarters isn't much more of an achievement than finishing in the 6 Nations top 4.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Just being realistic, reaching the World Cup quarters isn't much more of an achievement than finishing in the 6 Nations top 4.

And yet more negativity, if it's that easy then every country should be able to do it. What is your expectation, should we be getting semi finals every WC or perhaps we should win every tournament. Do you expect Scotland to win every medal at the Olympics or have a belt holder in every boxing division. Jesus wept it's like ppl in here think we are shite as soon as we lose in a sport. A little perspective is needed.

41 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

And yet more negativity, if it's that easy then every country should be able to do it. What is your expectation, should we be getting semi finals every WC or perhaps we should win every tournament. Do you expect Scotland to win every medal at the Olympics or have a belt holder in every boxing division. Jesus wept it's like ppl in here think we are shite as soon as we lose in a sport. A little perspective is needed.

Whoah there! No one could be prouder than me of the plentiful Scottish sporting achievements over the years, and I love the fact that we sit in the top 10 of world rugby.

However as I said it's a fact that there are only about a dozen countries who play rugby to a decent standard. We will make the quarter finals more often than not but are unlikely to get further than that due to the strength of the top 4 or 5 nations. 

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Whoah there! No one could be prouder than me of the plentiful Scottish sporting achievements over the years, and I love the fact that we sit in the top 10 of world rugby.

However as I said it's a fact that there are only about a dozen countries who play rugby to a decent standard. We will make the quarter finals more often than not but are unlikely to get further than that due to the strength of the top 4 or 5 nations. 

Yeh I agree there are only about 12 countries who play rugby to a decent standard, amazingly we are one of them and it's not even our main sport. If that is a poor achievement or not good enough then what is. 

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh I agree there are only about 12 countries who play rugby to a decent standard, amazingly we are one of them and it's not even our main sport. If that is a poor achievement or not good enough then what is. 

It's just a quirk of how rugby has developed as a sport. If it becomes more established around the world it'll be more of a challenge for us to maintain our status.

Eg. we were one of the top teams in world football for most of the first century of internationals, mainly because we were decades ahead of other countries when it came to playing football. 

18 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's only the fourth most popular sport in Australia. (Edit - might not even be that, could be fifth or sixth depending how you determine that; definitely behind Rugby League, Aussie Rules, Cricket, and probably football).

Nobody's expecting us to dominate. The whole good spell / bad spell thing is right, but at the moment we have more talent available than we have had for a long time, but we're not capitalising on it to have one of the good spells. 

Edited by biffer

23 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Wales certainly got the breaks today.

Japan v South Africa should be a cracker now...

They did but France played above themselves and Wales weren't at their best at all but still got the job done.

As for Japan V South Africa well who knows what will happen there. All past history and such like suggest the Saffers should win fairly comfortably but Japan are a growing rugby nation with a lot of momentum just now so who knows?