Rugby World Cup - Page 5 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rugby World Cup

Tartan_Don

On 9/28/2019 at 11:33 PM, Orraloon said:

It's very unlikely that we can win the group. Ireland will get 15 points (maybe 16) - they will get 5 off Russia and at least 4 off Samoa. Maximum we can get is 15. I think the only way we can win the group is if Scotland, Japan and Ireland all finish on 15 points and somehow we have the best points difference?

We need to win all three games. Hopefully we can go into the last game needing any win over Japan to go through but to do that we need as many bonus points as possible and hope Japan don't get a bonus point off Samoa.

I think three wins and two bonus points might be enough. Less than that and we’re in trouble. Three bonus points would be better, but let’s see how this morning goes, it might be a proper arse twitcher.

13 minutes ago, biffer said:

I think three wins and two bonus points might be enough. Less than that and we’re in trouble. Three bonus points would be better, but let’s see how this morning goes, it might be a proper arse twitcher.

It certainly was 4 years ago, it took a last minute try from laidlaw to beat Samoa. Great atmosphere and great entertainment at that game. 

I'd rather it was more straight forward today. Watson Is a massive loss though

2 hours ago, biffer said:

Aye, I think so too. We need to make sure we get the win today, then hopefully be in a position to go for the bonus point as well. If we don't get the bonus point today, we might go into the last game not only needing a win, but also needing to get a bonus point and/or stopping Japan getting a bonus point as well. 

Need to get at least 4 points on the board today though, hopefully 5.

Won't be easy though. We need to tackle much better than we have been doing. We can't allow them to make easy yards like we did against Ireland.

26 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Last 15 mins was very positive. 

Shame they couldn't get another try right before half time given the position they had. Need to make sure we get the bonus point so we don't end up regretting that one. 

Much improved as the game progresses. 

27-0 up. 

Come on lads, get that 4th try

It would be good if Samoa could prevent Japan from getting a bonus point.

I'm hoping that we can go into that last game just needing a win. It's very unlikely that Japan could get 2 bonus points in the last game without us also getting a bonus point. It could happen though. That would be an interesting way to get knocked out.:lol:

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We do like to do it the hard way.:lol:

Yep! 😂  Failed to capitalise on the yellow card for 10 mins,  had Samoa in our 22 for first time in the game with about 8 mins to go. Just had a feeling at that stage that it was going to be a tyipcal Scotland disappointment. 

Fair play to them for sticking at it. Maitland did very well in his slide for the line. 

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Just seen the highlights.  Samoa's #11 looked like he'd never played rugby before!

He scored two tries in the first game. He was also cited for foul play in that game. I am assuming he will miss the game against Japan, which is a pity?

To be fair he got his two yellow cards trying to stop two certain tries. Just a wee bit overenthusiastic. We could have done with some of that fight against Ireland.

So we're potentially going to be four points behind Japan when we play them but it seems to be the case that we're likely to need to get a bonus point and deny them one, therefore winning by five points to overtake them.

What if we win by four, with neither side getting a bonus point or both getting one? Is it points difference? Or have I missed something that means we can't finish tied on points?