Rugby World Cup - Page 4 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rugby World Cup

Tartan_Don

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Can you be specific regarding sport?

It's more of a psychological societal thing that would emanate onto our National teams.

It's just an opinion but i am sure 2014 must have had an effect

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

It's more of a psychological societal thing that would emanate onto our National teams.

It's just an opinion but i am sure 2014 must have had an effect

Fair enough, I disagree with you. I dont see any connection to the 2014 result.

This board died post 2014. I think that was a direct result of the NO. I said years before that everything Scottish would become uncool post NO. Why would anyone want to associate themselves with a perennial loser brand. It was like 1978 turbocharged. 

Edited by thplinth

Do we under perform at rugby? If we compare ourselves to Ireland and Wales, it is pathetic how poor the team is but is that not a bit of a false comparison? Considering it's their national sport in Wales and in Ireland Gaelic football is the biggest sport in the country - whilst not rugby ; there's certainly a bit of a cross over there.

I was looking at our U20 performances in the recent World Cups - we've not even qualified for next year's one and the the two before that we came dead last in the group! U20s 6 Nation the last two years we've been last and the year before that we pipped Italy to 5th.

Or is it too much to expect a decent team from what is a minority sport? Albeit it, sold-out Murrayfield's for the friendlies before this World Cup and more at a test match than an actual qualifier for the men's football team.

The Irish really are the ''look what you could have won Scotland'' for culture, sport and sovereignty.

Edited by weekevie04

Scotland are a QF team. That's our position in world rugby. Always has been. We got to the semi final once. If we get past the QF we have performed much better than expected. If we don't get to the QF we have performed much worse than expected. Anybody who is surprised that we lost to Ireland just isn't paying attention. They are number one in the world for a reason. At present they are playing at a level above us. Having said that, I think I am right in saying that Ireland have never got past the QF? To do that this time they will have to beat SA. They can beat SA but they won't start as favorites in that game.

Scotland will hump Russia and beat Samoa. Samoa aren't as good as they were 4 years ago and are miles behind where they were 10, 20 years ago. We will beat them. Then it's all about Japan who have home advantage. It was always going to come down to that game. We should be good enough to beat them. A lot depends on injuries though. If we get to the QF again we will not beat NZ. Even Gregor Townsend doesn't think we can beat NZ. 

Rugby is much more predictable than football. We are a QF team and so are Wales and Ireland.

Ali Price joining Hamish Watson away home injured, not a great start, lets hope it improves.

17 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Do we under perform at rugby? If we compare ourselves to Ireland and Wales, it is pathetic how poor the team is but is that not a bit of a false comparison? Considering it's their national sport in Wales and in Ireland Gaelic football is the biggest sport in the country - whilst not rugby ; there's certainly a bit of a cross over there.

I was looking at our U20 performances in the recent World Cups - we've not even qualified for next year's one and the the two before that we came dead last in the group! U20s 6 Nation the last two years we've been last and the year before that we pipped Italy to 5th.

Or is it too much to expect a decent team from what is a minority sport? Albeit it, sold-out Murrayfield's for the friendlies before this World Cup and more at a test match than an actual qualifier for the men's football team.

The Irish really are the ''look what you could have won Scotland'' for culture, sport and sovereignty.

Perhaps the question is do we underperform at sport in general.  Small nations like Wales, Ireland, NZ have had more sustained success than we have.  We have had individual successes, Hoy, Murray, Muir but team sports we suffer.  Totally agree with your last sentence by the way.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is but I still think we have enough talent to get us out of the group stages but now that we'll be playing New Zealand that will be our journey's end.

I agree, if we were going to cause an upset we need both of those players IMO, that still won;t stop me dreaming and screaming at the TV like a lunatic.

10 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

If Japan play like they are doing in the first 30 mins against Ireland, against Scotland then Scotland are in trouble. They have caused Ireland more trouble than Scotland did in 80 mins.

Loads more trouble.  We barely got near the Irish 22!

3 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

If Japan play like they are doing in the first 30 mins against Ireland, against Scotland then Scotland are in trouble. They have caused Ireland more trouble than Scotland did in 80 mins.

And if scotland get there act together, we will beat Japan.

Japan beat south Africa in brighton 4 yeard ago but lost to us.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

And if scotland get there act together, we will beat Japan.

Japan beat south Africa in brighton 4 yeard ago but lost to us.

You know more than i do about rugby. What do Scotland need to do to qualify? I know they need 2 wins. Does it go to points difference (possibly bonus), head to head etc?

Just now, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

You know more than i do about rugby. What do Scotland need to do to qualify? I know they need 2 wins. Does it go to points difference (possibly bonus), head to head etc?

I dont know that much 😂😂

Till today it looked simpler but Japan blew it wide open. First off they need to win, preferably with bonus points. 

41 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Cheers

👍🏻👍🏻

34 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I suppose the glass half full viewpoint is that we can still win the group.

That's exactly what I thought when the japan v Ireland match was on. Townsend must look at that result as a positive for scotland.

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I suppose the glass half full viewpoint is that we can still win the group.

It's very unlikely that we can win the group. Ireland will get 15 points (maybe 16) - they will get 5 off Russia and at least 4 off Samoa. Maximum we can get is 15. I think the only way we can win the group is if Scotland, Japan and Ireland all finish on 15 points and somehow we have the best points difference?

We need to win all three games. Hopefully we can go into the last game needing any win over Japan to go through but to do that we need as many bonus points as possible and hope Japan don't get a bonus point off Samoa.