Scottish teams in Europe - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish teams in Europe

Just now, sbcmfc said:

Aberdeen would probably need to beat a champions league drop out or a mid table la liga/serie A side in the play off round, and are unlikely to be seeded in the round before that either. where you have the 5th/6th placed teams from the top leagues in Europe.

UEFA don't want Aberdeen in the group stages, they want Liverpool, inter Milan, PSV Eindhoven....

Exactly. BlueGaz is clearly a bit ignorant of the challenges of getting to the groups for a club from Scotland. 

3 years ago we beat Groningen and then lost to Real Sociedad. 2 years ago we beat Rejika, then lost to a Kazakh side with guys earning £20k+ a week in their side. This year (the most disappointing) we lost to Maribor, who we should've beat (although we were hindered by a baffling refereeing performance). Although we still would've had another round to play after Maribor 

Guest BlueGaz
5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Exactly. BlueGaz is clearly a bit ignorant of the challenges of getting to the groups for a club from Scotland. 

3 years ago we beat Groningen and then lost to Real Sociedad. 2 years ago we beat Rejika, then lost to a Kazakh side with guys earning £20k+ a week in their side. This year (the most disappointing) we lost to Maribor, who we should've beat (although we were hindered by a baffling refereeing performance). Although we still would've had another round to play after Maribor 

I'm not ignorant of the challenges.  I just believe that a team from Scotland should be qualifying for the group stages.  Currently it doesn't happen, but it should be.  The same as I believe that our National Team should be qualifying for some tournaments.  Neither are happening, as we are not where we should be.

8 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I'm not ignorant of the challenges.  I just believe that a team from Scotland should be qualifying for the group stages.  Currently it doesn't happen, but it should be.  The same as I believe that our National Team should be qualifying for some tournaments.  Neither are happening, as we are not where we should be.

On what basis should it be happening? 

We're losing to teams with far greater finance than us. If we were losing to poorer sides, who were seeded below us, i could accept your point. However, generally we're not. Aberdeen are having to beat 2 or 3 sides who have greater finance and are seeded higher than us, in order to make the group stages. 

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

On what basis should it be happening? 

We're losing to teams with far greater finance than us. If we were losing to poorer sides, who were seeded below us, i could accept your point. However, generally we're not. Aberdeen are having to beat 2 or 3 sides who have greater finance and are seeded higher than us, in order to make the group stages. 

I accept the facts of how it is at the moment.  To qualify my opinion with a bit more detail, bar Celtic, our game is rank at the moment, almost from top to bottom, certainly in our top division.  Using Aberdeen only as an example, as they have been 2nd best recently, they should be going into the Euro cup as a competitor in terms of qualifying for the group stages, but they are not.  They aren't, because there is much wrong with our game in Scotland, which starts at the top.  The commercial side of our game is fvcked, that would add more funds, most of the clubs themselves could do more to attract fans.  Again, Aberdeen as a good example, not sure what your average crowd is but is that going to double for the final?  Are Aberdeen doing enough to attract fans up your way?  There is no competition up there.  

We disagree on everything, so no issues with it this time round, I just feel we have the fundamentals here that our top team in Scotland should be competitive in the qualifying rounds.  

Motherwell have been slagged for their European performances, but barring the StJarnan embarrassment and MYPA 47 in 1995 we've lost to Steau Bucharest, Panathinaikos, a La Liga side, a Russian side with Djibril Cisse on their bench on £20k a week etc etc.

We'd have been punching above our weight if we'd won any of these games.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

Motherwell have been slagged for their European performances, but barring the StJarnan embarrassment and MYPA 47 in 1995 we've lost to Steau Bucharest, Panathinaikos, a La Liga side, a Russian side with Djibril Cisse on their bench on £20k a week etc etc.

We'd have been punching above our weight if we'd won any of these games.

We're not talking about Motherwell though, we are talking about big Scottish clubs here.  :P

4 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

They aren't, because there is much wrong with our game in Scotland, which starts at the top.  The commercial side of our game is fvcked, that would add more funds, most of the clubs themselves could do more to attract fans.  Again, Aberdeen as a good example, not sure what your average crowd is but is that going to double for the final?  Are Aberdeen doing enough to attract fans up your way?  There is no competition up there.  

We disagree on everything, so no issues with it this time round, I just feel we have the fundamentals here that our top team in Scotland should be competitive in the qualifying rounds.  

I agree with all of that. We need to sell our game and make it more attractive to both commercial partners and to ordinary folk. Too many folk are happy to sit at home and watch the EPL on TV while proclaiming "Scottish football is shite". 

The powers that be need to find ways to change this attitude and get more folk attending. 

Unfortunately 2 teams have all the fans,1 team has all the money, they don't want to change it and nobody has the guts to try and change it, they'd rather live off the scraps than upset Peter Lawell it appears.

In England as an example where they do have a pretty competitive set up, people seem to take a bit of pride in where they come from an tend to be far more likely to support their local team.

If you go to Newcastle, most folk support Newcastle, West Yorkshire its Leeds, Birmingham its villa or city....

In Scotland, glasgow Rangers or Celtic, Motherwell Rangers or Celtic, Hamilton Rangers or Celtic, Falkirk Rangers or Celtic.....

I'm sure all the Rangers fans who tell us we aren't doing enough are Govan born and bred though.

:ok:

14 minutes ago, deecie said:

The Rangers fans are in for a shock when they find out they'll be drawing with the 3rd best team in Moldova with only 6 days notice rather than having 3 months building up to a trip to the San Siro.

"The" Rangers? Grrrrr......

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Unfortunately 2 teams have all the fans,1 team has all the money, they don't want to change it and nobody has the guts to try and change it, they'd rather live off the scraps than upset Peter Lawell it appears.

Yip - the entire product suffers from not being competitive.
The best thing that could happen to Scottish football is a non old firm team winning the league.

Going back to 50:50 split of all gate receipts (home / away) and equal split of TV revenue would be a start.

What would be great would be if Rangers dropped out of the top league for a while and thereby gave the other teams the opportunity to change the status quo for the benefit of all the non old firm teams and in doing so make Scottish football far more equitable. 

oh.....wait a minute.....

Scottish football has no one to blame but itself. Or to put it another way....Aberdeen.

Edited by Marky

21 hours ago, Marky said:

What would be great would be if Rangers dropped out of the top league for a while and thereby gave the other teams the opportunity to change the status quo for the benefit of all the non old firm teams and in doing so make Scottish football far more equitable. 

oh.....wait a minute.....

Scottish football has no one to blame but itself. Or to put it another way....Aberdeen.

That's no way to thank the Famous after we saved you from relegation this season.nintchdbpict000076264930.jpg

Edited by deecie

1 minute ago, deecie said:

That's no way to thank the Famous after we saved you from relegation this season.

Ha ha. If you're talking about loaning us wee Cammy, then that only equalised the damage you did by loaning us that useless fat khunt Shankland. We got the last laugh tho by dumping him on the minks at the tail o' the bank. 

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Ha ha. If you're talking about loaning us wee Cammy, then that only equalised the damage you did by loaning us that useless fat khunt Shankland. We got the last laugh tho by dumping him on the minks at the tail o' the bank. 

Dunno like, sending you Langfield too means we probably still owe you a player.

1 minute ago, deecie said:

Dunno like, sending you Langfield too means we probably still owe you a player.

Ha ha. God yes. Thankfully forgot about that. 

Give us Johnny Hayes and we'll say no more about it!! :P

14 minutes ago, deecie said:

That's no way to thank the Famous after we saved you from relegation this season.nintchdbpict000076264930.jpg

In all seriousness, what do you reckon the chances are of us getting to hold onto the wee man next season?