Phew! - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Younger Dryas = the Lomond Ice Ace, as in Loch fekkin' Lomond, and it doesn't need a heavenly body to explain it.   It's what shaped our country (literally) and if it was not for human intervention (industrial global warming), there'd be another chilly spell along soon.

When there is a continent over a pole, it's odds-on earth will have periods of ice ages.

Anyone in Scotland who is a Green is basically suicidal. We should all be driving 7 litre supercharged monster trucks into work every day (no car pooling neither) and diesel and petrol should be free on demand. Burning a coal fire every night even in summer should be mandatory.

China is probably the only thing keeping us alive.

Edited by thplinth

8 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Hmm The Loch Lomond Readvance.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/about-scotlands-nature/rocks-soils-and-landforms/ice-age-landforms/the-ice-age/

Having read that it does make me wonder about Scottish independence. It is a question of when and not if Scotland is completely ice capped (again). :huh:

Yeah geological time tells a crazier story than human time. Our relative "time shortness" makes a lot of stuff invisible, i.e. it just never occurs to us.

On 4/21/2017 at 6:05 AM, phart said:

No one said more advanced though. Just a civilisation advanced enough to build these 14000 year old complexes which was wiped out during the extreme flooding that happened at the end of the last ice age. Also old enough to have knowledge of things like the procession of the equinox, elliptical orbits etc.

Look at this for example. really interesting

http://www.antikythera-mechanism.com/

Just a thought ! - would the rising sea levels at the end of the last ice age be "The Flood" that is mentioned in the Old Testament - not sure on timescales etc(obviously the Noah part of the flood story is just a myth) ?

On 4/20/2017 at 10:48 PM, Grim Jim said:

As a kid, my dad would always reassure me that asking questions was good.

I agree with that, until you get as far as Scotch Corner and then "how deep do you reckon that is?", "are we nearly there yet?"etc gets a bit grating...

2 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Just a thought ! - would the rising sea levels at the end of the last ice age be "The Flood" that is mentioned in the Old Testament - not sure on timescales etc(obviously the Noah part of the flood story is just a myth) ?

Some people say that, cause it's not just Christian texts that reference a flood, apparently (i've never really looked myself) loads of old cultures world wide talk about some sort of gran flood, which if true would indicate it was global and not local.

37 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

It's reckoned that the Bosporus deluge only five and a half thousand years ago flooded 60,000 sq. miles of land under the Black Sea.   A smoking gun for the flood "myths" if you ask me.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/17/science/geologists-link-black-sea-deluge-to-farming-s-rise.html

Doesn't explain why the Incas have their own "Unu Pachakuti" they're 12,000km away from the Black Sea, or the Ngāti Porou who live on the North Eastern tip of New Zeland have a flood myth too. They're 16,000 km away from the black sea.

Oh to have a time machine and go back (or forward) to witness some of the most important episodes in human history !! - I would like to go back to the very beginning (no not the big bang), back to our (humans) very earliest moments, was Darwin correct with evolution or is there something else that happened to make us so much more different from all other lifeforms on our planet ??

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

It's reckoned that the Bosporus deluge only five and a half thousand years ago flooded 60,000 sq. miles of land under the Black Sea.   A smoking gun for the flood "myths" if you ask me.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/17/science/geologists-link-black-sea-deluge-to-farming-s-rise.html

I saw a documentary or read something a while back about a theory that the great flood might have happened around the end of the last ice age and might have been caused by the collapse of of a huge ice dam in North America. This sent a huge tsunami right across the Atlantic then shot up the Mediterranean and right through the Bosporus. That is a very brief summary of the theory. They went into a lot more detail than that. Does that sound plausible or just baws?

3 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

was Darwin correct with evolution or is there something else that happened to make us so much more different from all other lifeforms on our planet ??

Yes and unlikely

We just evolved better than our ape cousins

Developing bigger cranium's helped

And we are not that much different apart from our brains

All animals poop out of their rectum

So do we

Edited by Ally Bongo

The Scab lands in America are apparently very clear but very old evidence of a massive flood. Like really massive...

Potholes-Coulee-Scabland.jpg

They have this technique whereby the can work out the flow of the water from the ripples it leaves on the flood plain. These ripples are normally quite small but here they indicate the flood was hundreds of feet above these now dry falls. At its peak the flow of water over these cliffs would have appeared as nothing more that an indent in the flow. Like a fast moving river flowing over a buried rock. You would not even have seen these cliffs so far below the flood were they. This was a massively cataclysmic event... at least here.

dry-falls-lake-and-dry-falls-channeled-s

Edited by thplinth

Cheers for the article Thplinth.   I'm sure we had ice dams & floods here too, but can't find an article.   I don't mean the Glen Roy parallel roads (which were caused by an ice dam), but floods & erosion afterwards further south.

Obviously on a much smaller scale.

35 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Cheers for the article Thplinth.   I'm sure we had ice dams & floods here too, but can't find an article.   I don't mean the Glen Roy parallel roads (which were caused by an ice dam), but floods & erosion afterwards further south.

Obviously on a much smaller scale.

You know a thread on what the ice age does to Scotland's geography sounds  very very interesting Jim (do it do it do it). I only briefly read about it but I understand every time it happens it changes coastlines, rivers, mountains the lot. The whole of Scotland down to North England covered by a grinding ice sheet with only Scotland's highest peaks (maybe) visible. Imagine seeing that, flying over Ben Nevis where only the tip is visible on a vast ice sheet.

It has happened many times apparently and it will happen again... unless monster trucks.

Edited by thplinth

Ah yes, some old photies here from 10,000bp.   In colour too, which is amazing for back then!   Latter stages as you can see the ice ice not so thick -_-

Braeriach, Ben Macdui and Carn Toul...

10761166-Aerial-view-of-the-Greenland-wi

A closeup of the Lairig Ghru with ice dams...

10761349-Aerial-view-of-the-Greenland-wi

and here are the Cuillins :P

aerial-view-over-greenland-e5crm0.jpg

9 hours ago, thplinth said:

ach well looks like in the long term we may have to make bigger plans. (for Scotland) 

Lets get 5, 50, 500, 5000 years of independence first before we are forced to retreat by the ice... then we will figure that shit out. :lol:

We could build a huge massive wall to stop the Arctic ice flowing over us and get the Icelanders to pay for it?