Lions Tour of New Zealand - Page 3 - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lions Tour of New Zealand

vanderark14

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz
10 hours ago, Chesney TA said:

Liam Williams is the likely test full-back. He'll start there on Saturday.

Ok, I thought/had hoped Hogg would start the first test, still think he is the best FB there.  But didn't see the game yesterday, and he didn't play too well on Saturday, but neither did anyone else to be fair.

On 2017-6-7 at 10:36 AM, BlueGaz said:

Blues won, 22-16, anyone watch it?  Play well?

Thought it was a competitive game. Lions started well, think the Barbarian game woke them up.

Blues came back in tae it and after that fairly even. 

Cracking try the big difference....although the line out at the end was laughable.

A reckon Sexton is trying tae play himself out the Test matches...but he is a whingeing tart.

Crusaders next. 8 All Blacks in the Crusaders squad and unbeaten in Super Rugby this year.

Hogg will be under pressure and needs a big game. Good few a the tweed jacket wearers doon here are on his back awready.

Awready feels like a make or break game. It potentially could get very embarrassing and hopefully will show Gatland up. 

A decent performance from Hogg today would have seen him start the 1st Test. Looking unlikely now I guess. More generally, the All Blacks will hardly be losing sleep over what they have seen so far.

On 13/06/2017 at 7:04 AM, Tartan_Don said:

Unlucky that, although Gatland will nae be bothered.

At least now Stuart Barnes can stop slating him and telling everyone how much better Knowles is 

And as long as Mike Brown does nae get a phone call 

He just called up four more Welsh players instead:lol:

gatland is making an arse of this tour.

Brown is undoubtedly a tosser, but should be in the Lions party. With Hogg out it looks like Halfpenny will start at FB, with Watson perhaps emerging as the other viable option there. Payne might yet challenge I guess, Williams has been consigned to the dirt trackers (along with the Scots, and pretty much anyone with a Welsh accent Gatland has met in a pub recently). Brown is as good a FB as anyone with Uogg out, and along with Launchbury and Johnny Gray, is most entitled to feel hard done by. In his case we'll hear about it. 

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

Brown is undoubtedly a tosser, but should be in the Lions party. With Hogg out it looks like Halfpenny will start at FB, with Watson perhaps emerging as the other viable option there. Payne might yet challenge I guess, Williams has been consigned to the dirt trackers (along with the Scots, and pretty much anyone with a Welsh accent Gatland has met in a pub recently). Brown is as good a FB as anyone with Uogg out, and along with Launchbury and Johnny Gray, is most entitled to feel hard done by. In his case we'll hear about it. 

I wouldn't agree with that. Brown has always been a bit limited in attack and over the last year or do he's had some defensive nightmares. Looks better than he is because he doesn't get exposed in the current England team. No need to call up a full back given the cover options you've highlighted. 

12 hours ago, biffer said:

I wouldn't agree with that. Brown has always been a bit limited in attack and over the last year or do he's had some defensive nightmares. Looks better than he is because he doesn't get exposed in the current England team. No need to call up a full back given the cover options you've highlighted. 

True re there not being any need for a call up (though that wouldn't necessarily preclude Gatland from making one). I think he's a better more consistent player than either Payne or Williams, and was unlucky not to make the original squad. Don't agree at all about him being limited in attack, he offers at least as much (probably more) than those in the squad other than Hogg. And not wanting to go all Stuart Barnes here, but Hogg has his foibles too. If you are selecting three from that lot, most reasonably objective observers include Brown I suspect.

Edited by Pool Q

O'Mahoney starts ahead of Warburton and is captain; back three of Williams, Watson and Daly. The performance of one or two against the Chiefs seems to have tipped the balance in their favour. 

15 hours ago, Pool Q said:

O'Mahoney starts ahead of Warburton and is captain; back three of Williams, Watson and Daly. The performance of one or two against the Chiefs seems to have tipped the balance in their favour. 

I know its been said

but 4th best team in the world, beat Ireland and Wales in the six nations and ran France fairly close away too

just beat Australia away

and not a single Scot on the match day squad is an absolutely farcical position

my interest has finally waned with that

Wales haven't won in Australia for 47 years. 

Ireland haven't won in Australia for 37 years.

Scotland haven't won in Australia for 6 days.

8 Welshmen in the 23

6 Irishmen in the 23

0 Scotsmen in the 23

Scotland need to focus on winning against Fiji, finish off a really successful tour. Despite claims to the contrary a number of players in the squad are clearly good enough to be in New Zealand, but at least it has meant Townsend has had the chance to take a more or less full squad on tour and work with them. A lot of positives.

47 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Scotland need to focus on winning against Fiji, finish off a really successful tour. Despite claims to the contrary a number of players in the squad are clearly good enough to be in New Zealand, but at least it has meant Townsend has had the chance to take a more or less full squad on tour and work with them. A lot of positives.

Aye as fans of Scottish Rugby we may as well just focus on this aspect of things and forget about what Gatland and his Welsh training camp are doing in NZ. Lost interest in the test now. Hopefully Gatland and his team get wiped out.

18 hours ago, Pool Q said:

the more or less full squad just beat Australia away whilst missing hogg, seymour, maitland, visser from the backline

that's how good the rest of them are

in years gone by you take two/three of our best players out of the side and we are cannon fodder in that environment, conceding 50 points

the future is bright

28 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Even if there were Scots in this team, I just cannot seem or have ever been able to get behind 'The Lions' and media circus around it all.

Mon the All Blacks!

I enjoyed the 97 tour

S Africa were the team that you couldnt say you were the best as they didn't play

then they came in and won the world cup

so beating them was the pinnacle of that sport

plus the side had Scottish management and and an even mix of players

since then has been dominated by the nationality of the management and barley a scot in sight

the selections this time round with our vast improvement has really stuck in the craw

hope townsend gets it next time, which i would say is possible

5 hours ago, Bino's said:

the more or less full squad just beat Australia away whilst missing hogg, seymour, maitland, visser from the backline

that's how good the rest of them are

in years gone by you take two/three of our best players out of the side and we are cannon fodder in that environment, conceding 50 points

the future is bright

For me, and it's all about opinions, Hogg aside, none of those are among our best players. There good, but not the guys we really rely on. I'd be looking to Laidlaw, Russell, Taylor, Nel, Gray, Watson and the consistently undervalued Barclay for that. I can see why Nel and Taylor missed out as they weren't in the 6N (although if they were Welsh..) and Barclay's treatment by Cotter at the last WC probably made him easy to leave out.

But fundamentally your point is sound, we look to finally be developing some depth and bench strength. The performance of Toolis on this tour has been a real plus; Price will have benefited from starting( and Fagerson continues to develop. And Dell is a Lion too I guess, although I'm inclined to file that under Gatland being a bawbag more than anything else, even if he is vastly more deserving of a place than some of the Welsh players who are out there.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game and will be supporting the Lions. I'd be a lot more enthusiastic if there was some sort of Scottish presence, but it seems a bit churlish not to back them just because I don't agree with the selection. If the Lions somehow win the series Gatland will be a hero for most and feel himself vindicated, But in the longer term I fear he's done a bit of damage.

3 hours ago, Pool Q said:

For me, and it's all about opinions, Hogg aside, none of those are among our best players. There good, but not the guys we really rely on. I'd be looking to Laidlaw, Russell, Taylor, Nel, Gray, Watson and the consistently undervalued Barclay for that. I can see why Nel and Taylor missed out as they weren't in the 6N (although if they were Welsh..) and Barclay's treatment by Cotter at the last WC probably made him easy to leave out.

But fundamentally your point is sound, we look to finally be developing some depth and bench strength. The performance of Toolis on this tour has been a real plus; Price will have benefited from starting( and Fagerson continues to develop. And Dell is a Lion too I guess, although I'm inclined to file that under Gatland being a bawbag more than anything else, even if he is vastly more deserving of a place than some of the Welsh players who are out there.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game and will be supporting the Lions. I'd be a lot more enthusiastic if there was some sort of Scottish presence, but it seems a bit churlish not to back them just because I don't agree with the selection. If the Lions somehow win the series Gatland will be a hero for most and feel himself vindicated, But in the longer term I fear he's done a bit of damage.

I think price is better than Laidlaw, quicker ball and more likely to make a break

Duncan Taylor is a quality player as is John Barclay

if the game was on telly tonight I would almost consider watching it, we are on such a role

Easy win for the All Blacks , the margin could have been far more, thankfully no Scots were in the squad to be humiliated .

Cannot see Gatland changing from using his Welsh sheep shaggers and they will get rightly pumped in the next 2 tests.

It will make the match against the AB at Murrayfield in November very interesting with a number of Scottish guys maybe out to prove a point.