Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 104 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

Absolutely no mention of Ross Thomson on Reporting Scotland tonight. 

Compare that with Mark McDonald where they door stepped his constituency office, despite him not being there, and then did a vox pop with people in the street asking them to describe how outraged they were about his alleged behaviour and asking whether he should resign.

With Michelle Thomson - who remember was completely cleared, never charged with anything and in fact she was never actually accused of anything - they had a lead story which included an interview with a couple who'd sold their house to her company being encouraged to be angry that they'd sold below market value - something which presumably they were aware of at the time.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The other side to that argument is that brexit might not turn out to be as bad as some folk are trying to tell us. The "Go Early" folk want to capitalise of the fear of how bad brexit might be in the future. If we wait too long folk might end up thinking "Ach it's no that bad really".

If BREXIT turns out to be a success and our only chance is to go for indyref2 now (when there is not enough support) but in a false 'window of opportunity' where folk might think BREXIT will be worse than it will be then that is probably the most pathetic argument for calling indyref2 now imaginable. Patience. It has to come to you this time. Horse. Water.

20 hours ago, aaid said:

While I agree with you about the double standards, I don't think that Salmond is a fair comparison.  Salmond is a vastly more higher profile and important figure than Ross Thomson and it is a much bigger story.

A fairer comparison would be with either Mark McDonald or Michelle Thomson and - so far - the media coverage has come nowhere near close to the level in those two cases, even though the allegations in Ross Thomson's case - which don't seem to have been denied so far - are much more serious.

Yes, probably not exactly comparable with Salmond as Groper Ross is a nobody, but nonetheless the removal of the story from the BBC website asap and the complete blanking of it on BBC Scotland stands in contrast to all the other SNP Bad stories.  Thomson has been witnessed committing several sexual assaults whereas Salmond hasn't - so far they are only alleged incidents.  Now, add to that the QT audience from last night, almost a parody of a Motherwell audience, packed with mad mental yoons and orange jacket UKipper Billy Mitchell on his 4th (?) appearance and give full rein to scream an abusive rant at Fiona Hyalopo, and a clear picture emerges of a BBC that is not remotely impartial or honest, but a propaganda tool for the union. Fuck them.

I should add that someone posted an article from the Times which claimed that Thomson had grabbed various arses to stop himself falling over because he was bevvied.  Assuming it's a genuine article, it is itself beyond parody.

Edited by Alibi

this whatabouttery on these types of allegations aren't a good look.

The guy is all over the media; folk looking for semantics to claim otherwise are lowering themselves.

Also I agree Mark McDonald was probably overly cooked but it merited news.  As did Michelle Thomson; you're standard as an MP isn't to not be charged of anything.  Her business dealings still made me uneasy.

19 hours ago, thplinth said:

If BREXIT turns out to be a success and our only chance is to go for indyref2 now (when there is not enough support) but in a false 'window of opportunity' where folk might think BREXIT will be worse than it will be then that is probably the most pathetic argument for calling indyref2 now imaginable. Patience. It has to come to you this time. Horse. Water.

That was only one small part of the argument for going early. I am tending to lean towards your side of the fence on this one. It's a tricky balancing act, this fence sitting, you know.;)

In any case, the "window of opportunity" for going early is probably past now anyway. The go really early folk wanted to go before we left the EU. It's now looking much less likely that it's possible for that to happen now. If what you are saying is correct, then Nicola has done a very good job in holding back the stampede. Then again, she might go down in history as the person who missed the glorious chance of a second referendum. I just hope she isn't in the middle of her Iwelumo moment.

The discussion is now turning to whether we should have the referendum before the "mandate runs out". A lot of folk are fearful that if we wait until after the next Scottish Election we may not get another chance for decades.

42 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

this whatabouttery on these types of allegations aren't a good look.

The guy is all over the media; folk looking for semantics to claim otherwise are lowering themselves.

Also I agree Mark McDonald was probably overly cooked but it merited news.  As did Michelle Thomson; you're standard as an MP isn't to not be charged of anything.  Her business dealings still made me uneasy.

It's not whataboutery, it's pointing out how different stories have been treated by the same organisation.   I agree with you that all three stories were/are newsworthy but its the difference in both the substance and tone of how they were reported - or unreported - that's striking.

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's not whataboutery, it's pointing out how different stories have been treated by the same organisation.   I agree with you that all three stories were/are newsworthy but its the difference in both the substance and tone of how they were reported - or unreported - that's striking.

I think the differences are minimal and measuring them like the way some on here do would be laughable if it was another subject.  No one's getting a win out of this so I think the preaching should take a back seat.

The Tory's name is mud but look our guy in the SNP is even muddier.  both mud.  noone's coming up smelling like roses and winning here.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

The discussion is now turning to whether we should have the referendum before the "mandate runs out". A lot of folk are fearful that if we wait until after the next Scottish Election we may not get another chance for decades.

If independence remains as popular as now or indeed increases in popularity then no way will there be a lengthy wait for another referendum even if the SNP lose influence at Holyrood. 

The only way it'll take decades is if independence decreases in popularity,  and if that's the case there's not much point holding a referendum.

It’s a real shame that Eric Joyce wasn’t around in that commons bar the other night...

Meantime Tommo’s giving it his best shot: 

https://youtu.be/FafVtHWn4X8

“holding on to bottoms in a bid not to fall on the floor” https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theweek.co.uk/99447/drunk-tory-mp-grabbed-mens-bottoms-to-avoid-falling%3famp

12 minutes ago, neilser said:

It’s a real shame that Eric Joyce wasn’t around in that commons bar the other night...

“holding on to bottoms in a bid not to fall on the floor” https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theweek.co.uk/99447/drunk-tory-mp-grabbed-mens-bottoms-to-avoid-falling%3famp

Thomson won't fight the next election, looks like his lcoal Tory association will deselect him as candidate.

The way he speaks to the SNP's female MP's is thuggish. JCQC doesn't take any nonsense off the wee fud mind.

Btw is Eric Joyce not pro-independence now ?

5 hours ago, neilser said:

Dy0tQULX4AUR548.jpg&key=eae4e13d36596c82