Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15 - Page 75 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rumour of snap GE -announcement 11.15

On 18/04/2017 at 1:08 PM, min said:
On 10/05/2017 at 11:22 PM, Toepoke said:
31 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Plenty independence supporters will have voted Labour. I know that I thought about doing this. This will no doubt be spun as a massive blow to independence blah blah blah. However, I think that is actually greatly exaggerated. This election wasn't about Independence, however the SNP failed to make that clear enough and get their message out. 

Aye, good few of my mates who are independence supporters voted Labour because of Corbyn and I came within a bawhair myself of doing so.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

To be fair to Sturgeon nobody was expecting a General Election within weeks of the announcement 

To be honest I'm meaning not ruling it out at the last Scottish election. Hindsight, obviously.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

It's an interesting one that.  Down in Englandshire most people obviously bar Tories and UKIP think she's an absolute star.

Honestly don't understand how many on here cant see it,, the media have framed it that al she talks about is independence, the cranky part also has dented the perception and makes her look like a busy body, i said it already that she should use a fellow snp MSP to take much more interviews and responsibility as she apears to grand stand all the time, and when she raises the tone of her voice at the end of each sentence, personally it does my head in,,,first time in my life i stay in a tory constituency ?

23 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

72% turnout for 18-25 year olds.

Great to hear. Proves young voters aren't apathetic, just apathetic about the options they've been offered recently (and the betrayal by the Libs over tuition fees didn't help).

This is what happens with FPTP when the gap comes down. It does seem a little jarring that the tories have done well in Scotland while not doing well in England. I think the SNP have misplayed it and Nicola has to take some responsibility for it but it is done now. I think this will be the moment a lot of people give up on getting a second vote anytime soon. Personally I am glad for that as indyref2 must come from the polls wanting it and no other way. 

The SNP left the space for the tories and they filled it. The country is now a mess. Going into BREXIT negotiations and May is badly damaged and undermined. I cant see any of this going well.

But by far the saddest thing about this for me is the loss of Alex Salmond. Just a personal thing but I find that really sad.

Oh and the North East of Scotland can suck a fhucking cock. Shown themselves up once again.

7 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

That stupid stupid ignorant bitch Dugdale has probably cost Corbyn a shot at being PM.

Surely head office will fire the branch manager?

It's quite a result, all in all.

May's hubris leaves her destroyed, and yet Labour probably wouldn't be able to form a viable government due, in part, to SNP seats going Tory. 1974 again with another election within a year? No one's going to want it, but the need for Brexit negotiations throws everything up in the air. A Tory / DUP pact isn't going to look like it represents the UK. Wild times.

An election of surprises and ironies

Opinion polls mostly failed to pick up the key surprises - the extent of the Corbyn surge and SNP vulnerability

Corbynistas defy the mainstream media attacks but SNP powerless against framing through a UK/unionist lens  

The party of independence now less popular than independence (though based on different electorate)

The party of Brexit decimated by its own success

Unionist parties generally prosper but (inc N Ireland) feels like a more starkly divided, unhappy union

The election called to make British government stronger abroad ends up with Britain a headless laughing stock

Edited by exile

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This is what happens with FPTP when the gap comes down. It does seem a little jarring that the tories have done well in Scotland while not doing well in England. I think the SNP have misplayed it and Nicola has to take some responsibility for it but it is done now. I think this will be the moment a lot of people give up on getting a second vote anytime soon. Personally I am glad for that as indyref2 must come from the polls wanting it and no other way. 

The SNP left the space for the tories and they filled it. The country is now a mess. Going into BREXIT negotiations and May is badly damaged and undermined. I cant see any of this going well.

But by far the saddest thing about this for me is the loss of Alex Salmond. Just a personal thing but I find that really sad.

Oh and the North East of Scotland can suck a fhucking cock. Shown themselves up once again.

Call it "scottish second sight"? But salmond will stand ar the Scottish elections in banff and buchan, stevenson will not run again, i see the campaign starting shortly to promote salmond in the district once more 

Not sure Sturgeon can or will take another referendum off the table. I absolutely believe they are right to return to the Scottish people with another referendum once #brexit negotiations are complete, but they have to improve that message massively in the coming weeks and months. But most damaging for me is them losing control of the domestic agenda - education, hospitals - rightly or wrongly, the perception is that they've taken their eye off the ball and they now must get back on top of it if they want to avoid a disappointing Holyrood election in a few years time.

Im also looking forward to more questions being asked of Tory/Labour MPs in Scotland about what exactly they support and what they propose to do in the months and years ahead. 2015 was great but also placed an unfair burden on SNP MPs who really could do little in Westminster.

Independence supporting Labour voters really need to start upping their game though if they want to see an independent Scotland. I totally understand why people look beyond the SNP in elections (considered it myself) but it's utterly self-defeating to sit by and watch their chosen parties shit all over the independence movement.

Indyref 2 has to be off the table now. The rush toward it after the referendum result was a miscalculation. Post Brexit pain might put it back on the agenda but in the meantime we're all going to have to suffer.

What a feckin shambles!

Another election would be a f***ing disaster for the SNP. Have you seen the number of seats that are now marginals in Scotland?! SNP would be better sticking with what they have rather than compounding the problem.

1. Get referendum off the table for now - will show soft voters that willing to listen and help stop any rot.

2. Accept brexit is now happening and Scotland will not have a get out - hell mend us.

3. Spend next 3 years getting back on top of the domestic agenda.

4. Read the riot act to idiot and moronic MPs/members - IMO, they're far more divisive than a referendum.

5. Fight Holyrood on post-brexit terms and right to hold another referendum. Will ensure independence vote coalesces around SNP and (hopefully) ensures they remain in government (which is now massively important). Should also secure right to hold another referendum.

2 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

Another election would be a f***ing disaster for the SNP. Have you seen the number of seats that are now marginals in Scotland?! SNP would be better sticking with what they have rather than compounding the problem.

1. Get referendum off the table for now - will show soft voters that willing to listen and help stop any rot.

2. Accept brexit is now happening and Scotland will not have a get out - hell mend us.

4. Read the riot act to idiot and moronic MPs/members - IMO, they're far more divisive than a referendum.

5. Fight Holyrood on post-brexit terms and right to hold another referendum. Will ensure independence vote coalesces around SNP and (hopefully) ensures they remain in government (which is now massively important). Should also secure right to hold another referendum.

Good post. Agree with every point.

All focus should be towards the 2021 HR election. There's only a (small) pro Indy majority there at the moment due to a quirk in the system - I think I'm correct in saying that the unionists got slightly more votes last year. A tiny swing could result in a unionist majority and associated referendum veto.

So it looks like some Blairites shifted to Tory from their tacit support to SNP in 2015 whilst a number of Yessers from the left voted Labour for Corbyn.  A lot of the same kind of style of rhetoric that Cameron did after indyref going on just now from the likes of Davidson etc.  It might pander well to their own side but it will not win hearts and minds.  They made the election about indyref2 and ultimately lost the election.

I do agree that an ideal situation is that indyref2 comes from a natural groundswell of public opinion not from some political process meaning we have to hold one with polls not in favour.

The Moray result is the hardest to take, Angus Robertson was a class apart.  Moray voters putting in that linesman is ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, Auld_Reekie said:

1,2 and 3 are kneejerk reactions

Ist paragraph correct - depending of course on who was to call a second GE

4 and 5 agreed

10 hours ago, Stu101 said:

10 hours ago, aaid said:

This post is not aimed at Stu or aaid, it's just this shitey quote function not letting me delete the boxes. 

If you're in Independence supporter and you voted Labour last night then give yourself a pat on the face with a baseball bat. You're morons. You've helped kill off Indyref2 and your vote would have been as well being for the Tories. 

If you voted Tory and you're Scottish, please do us all a favour and just move south of the border. You're obviously a self loathing wee khunt and you'd be welcome in your homeland with all the other xenophobic little inglanders on the white cliffs of Dover. Mind the first step though, what with your lemming tendencies........ 

The SNP don't have to do anything. In fact that is exactly what they should be doing, nothing. Let the shit show unfold... this is what people wanted so stop fighting it. Feed the Tories and Labour all the rope they want... You think these clowns are going to do a good job? It is now a massive mess and the SNP should stop trying to mop it up or resist it. People need to experience what is going to happen, undiluted.