The Lord Is Calling Us To The Table - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Lord Is Calling Us To The Table

I don't see the problem.

Bible-believing Christians believe the Word of God (to be the Word of God).

The Jehovah's Witnesses (for example) have removed 47 verses that show Jesus to be God, and the Mormons (for example) have added a third Testament.

Once a 'group' adds or subtracts from the Word of God then by definition they have disqualified themselves from being Bible-believing.

(One of the reasons that I have quoted the Bible so much over the years is to show the consistency in what I believe compared to what the Bible says.)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have said this before but you seem more a hard core Biblicist than a hard core Christian Scotty.

We both have an interest but we are coming at it from different directions.

I think Jesus was a man who was then deified by people who never knew him for reasons at which we can only guess. And I don't think that viewpoint is uncommon amongst christians.

I would say the historical Jesus was what they call 'enlightened'. These are very rare people who engender religions after they die. Is this a real phenomenon? I have to say I think it is. He was a very special man but just a man.

And Scotty if Jesus was posting on the TAMB and reading this pish he would have no problem subsuming these arguments into one. That would be the genius of the man I guess. He would not be saying you are damned if you don't subscribe to my particular brand of Christianity. He would be disgusted by all that exclusive religious pish. The whole tone of his philosophy is complete inclusiveness. The way Christianity has gone and yours in particular is 'my rules or hell'. Sorry but I see NOTHING in that blokes teachings to support this view.

This idea of hell, end times is your imagination, it is garbage and the antithesis of the philosophy of Christianity.

On 20/04/2017 at 7:59 PM, thplinth said:

And Scotty if Jesus was posting on the TAMB and reading this pish he would have no problem subsuming these arguments into one. That would be the genius of the man I guess. He would not be saying you are damned if you don't subscribe to my particular brand of Christianity. He would be disgusted by all that exclusive religious pish. The whole tone of his philosophy is complete inclusiveness. The way Christianity has gone and yours in particular is 'my rules or hell'. Sorry but I see NOTHING in that blokes teachings to support this view.

This idea of hell, end times is your imagination, it is garbage and the antithesis of the philosophy of Christianity.

Good post, saying what has been said before, but saying it in a succinct and "point perfect" way.

It must have rung true with Mr cta himself.... you've tamed the beast ?

On 4/20/2017 at 2:19 PM, thplinth said:

I think I have said this before but you seem more a hard core Biblicist than a hard core Christian Scotty.

They are supposed to be the same thing.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

Jesus is the 'Word'.

So how do we know?

Because the Bible explains the Bible.

Just 13 verses later...

"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

We both have an interest but we are coming at it from different directions.

The different directions seem to be that I take God at His Word, and you have worked your way to a conclusion that you are comfortable with.

I think Jesus was a man who was then deified by people who never knew him for reasons at which we can only guess. 

I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.” C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity)

On 4/20/2017 at 2:32 PM, thplinth said:

If you accept Jesus was a man. Then suddenly all his teachings become philosophy and not religion.

Which is exactly where they belong. Along with the other great philosophers like Buddha. 

Please see above.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:40 PM, thplinth said:

I would say the historical Jesus was what they call 'enlightened'. These are very rare people who engender religions after they die. Is this a real phenomenon? I have to say I think it is. He was a very special man but just a man.

Again, please see the C.S.Lewis quote for the truth about The Truth.

2 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

The different directions seem to be that I take God at His Word, and you have worked your way to a conclusion that you are comfortable with.

Wow !

And you havent ?

If you have then you are pro slavery, pro genocide, pro child mutilation et al

And spare us the "that was the old testament" get out clause 

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Wow !

And you havent ?

No, I agree with God.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

If you have then you are pro slavery, pro genocide, pro child mutilation et al 

No, I'm not pro any of those things. (Please explain.)

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The 613 commandments/rules to the Jews in the Old Testament were necessary to keep 'the least of peoples' intact through to the end of days.

If God didn't set out such strict 'laws' to adhere to then the Jews would have melted/become extinct long ago. 

18 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

How is it a "get out clause"? It's absolutely fundamental to Christianity's understanding of itself - "the new covenant".

6 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

How is it a "get out clause"? It's absolutely fundamental to Christianity's understanding of itself - "the new covenant".

Jesus was supposed to have "fixed" the old testament and removed the parts about slavery, dominating women, killing homosexuals et al

However

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19

“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19)

Some of these laws are

Blasphemy is Punishable by Death

Adulterers Must Die

Dishonoring Your Mother or Father is Punishable by Death

People Who Work on Sunday Should be Killed

If a Woman is Not a Virgin When She Gets Married, She Has to Die

There’s Nothing Wrong With Slavery

Homosexuals Should be Put to Death

Not suggestions, Not optional and Not open to interpretation

“Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven…”

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Jesus was supposed to have "fixed" the old testament and removed the parts about slavery, dominating women, killing homosexuals et al

However

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” — Matthew 5:18-19

“It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid.” (Luke 16:17)

“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.” (Matthew 5:17)

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law” (John7:19)

Some of these laws are

Adulterers Must Die

“Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven…”

Well that's me fecked & mostly for working on a Sunday too.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:59 PM, thplinth said:

And Scotty if Jesus was posting on the TAMB and reading this pish he would have no problem subsuming these arguments into one. That would be the genius of the man I guess. He would not be saying you are damned if you don't subscribe to my particular brand of Christianity. 

There shouldn't be particular brands of Christianity, just Bible-believing Christianity.

He would be disgusted by all that exclusive religious pish.

Jesus is pleased with those that take Him at His Word.

Imagine that God is a 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle and you as a mortal understand just one of those pieces.

If I gave you one piece of a 5,000 piece jigsaw could you tell me the 'big picture' without seeing the box?

Who would you be to tell God what is what about anything (considering that in reality He is a jigsaw puzzle of infinite pieces and your entire understanding wouldn't even add up to one piece?)

The whole tone of his philosophy is complete inclusiveness.

Yes, unless of course one knowingly, willing rejects Him.

The way Christianity has gone and yours in particular is 'my rules or hell'. Sorry but I see NOTHING in that blokes teachings to support this view.

Well, for starters...

Jesus said... "And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire." Mark 9:43

You sin... you go to hell.

Who hasn't sinned? Only Jesus.

So who needs a Saviour? Everyone.

And who'll humble themselves? Not many.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:01 AM, ger intae them said:

Good post, saying what has been said before, but saying it in a succinct and "point perfect" way.

It must have rung true with Mr cta himself.... you've tamed the beast ?

Can you imagine? :lol:

On 4/27/2017 at 1:25 PM, thplinth said:

Scotty just comes back without answering. 

(Be fair. That's never happened.)

I had a tax deadline to deal with.

Not only mine, but had the chore of having to through all of my dear Mum's effects also.

On 4/27/2017 at 1:25 PM, thplinth said:

Despite all his study I suspect I know this man better than him. 

When the Father says to me "Enter the land of joy, good and faithful servant", and then Jesus turns to you and says "Depart from me ye cursed. I never knew you" then you will absolutely know for certain which of us had the true relationship.

On 4/28/2017 at 2:39 PM, thplinth said:

The board is always a better laugh and more interesting place when Scotty is posting. He stirs up a lot of controversy but he gets folk thinking and posting. 

God's Word never returns void. :)

36 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

However

Some of these laws are

Adulterers Must Die

What utter shite - and I say that as neither a Christian nor someone who believes Christians need be Biblical literalists.

"Not suggestions, not optional and not open to interpretation"? Look at the context of the verses you quote. In Matthew he's just interpreted the the hell out of the law - he's redefined it into the beatitudes. The verse before the one you quote from Luke is: "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached and every man presseth into it."

20 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

"Not suggestions, not optional and not open to interpretation"? Look at the context of the verses you quote. In Matthew he's just interpreted the the hell out of the law - he's redefined it into the beatitudes. The verse before the one you quote from Luke is: "The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached and every man presseth into it."

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm

22 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.” C.S. Lewis (Mere Christianity)

How desperate is that.

So if it was known he was 'just a man'... you would consign his teachings to that of at best a lunatic who claims to be poached egg... or at worst the 'devil of hell'.

C.S. Lewis was ing moron! Wow who knew.

People on here like to mock christians for believing in Sky faeries etc but I noticed this while looking into some of Scotty's stuff...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Seminar

The Jesus Seminar, a group of about 150 critical scholars and laymen founded in 1985 by Robert Funk, originated under the auspices of the Westar Institute.[1][2] The seminar was active in the 1980s and 1990s. It preceded the short-lived Jesus Project, which was active from 2008 to 2009.
Members of the Seminar used votes with colored beads to decide their collective view of the historicity of the deeds and sayings of Jesus of Nazareth.

Members of the Seminar used votes with colored beads to decide their collective view of the historicity of the deeds and sayings of Jesus of Nazareth.[3] They produced new translations of the New Testament and apocrypha to use as textual sources. They published their results in three reports:

Search for the "historical Jesus"
The Seminar's reconstruction of the historical Jesus portrayed him as an itinerant Hellenistic Jewish sage and faith-healer who preached a gospel of liberation from injustice in startling parables and aphorisms.[4][5][6]An iconoclast, Jesus broke with established Jewish theological dogmas and social conventions in both his teachings and his behavior, often by turning common-sense ideas upside down, confounding the expectations of his audience: he preached of "Heaven's imperial rule" (traditionally translated as "Kingdom of God") as being already present but unseen; he depicts God as a loving father; he fraternizes with outsiders and criticizes insiders.[4][5][6] According to the Seminar, Jesus was a mortal man born of two human parents, who did not perform nature miracles nor die as a substitute for sinners nor rise bodily from the dead.[4][5][6]Sightings of a risen Jesus were nothing more than the visionary experiences of some of his disciples rather than physical encounters.[4][5][6] While these claims, not accepted by conservative Christian laity, have been repeatedly made in various forms since the 18th Century,[7] what was unique about the Jesus Seminar was its consensual research methodology.

Christians are not by and large literal biblicists it seems. 

I think early christians even better knew he was man. And for sure he knew he was a human. That human empathy runs deep in every phrase he uttered. It is the core difference in the old v new testament.  

But still knowing he was 'just a man'... he supposedly taught we are all the sons and daughters of 'God'. Eh? WTF? God?

This is deep philosophy for me. Heaven is a state of mind. Revolutionary teaching that can get you killed. He was teaching that you don't need a priest or a church to know 'God', you can find them all within.

Philosophically speaking he was breaking their monopoly.

Whether you believe there is anything to be 'found within' is not relevant. The people of these days very much did. 

Gospel of Thomas has a lot of original Jesus sayings I reckon. But it is not even in the bible.