• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Gordon

Tierney Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Morrison OR Cairney 

Phillips Armstrong Snodgrass

Griffiths OR Rhodes

Maybe a bit risky throwing Phillips in for this one? He's still untried really for us.

Only other quibble is the striker. Really just depends if one player is right on form and playing every week at club level. If they're all on the bench or struggling for goals then I'd go with Griffiths.

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Gordon

Tierney Martin Mulgrew Robertson

Brown Morrison OR Cairney 

Phillips Armstrong Snodgrass

Griffiths OR Rhodes

it would really be throwing Tierney to the lions by putting a young, inexperienced player up against top class forwards, in a position he is barely familiar with.

His great strength is in bombing forward, and it's unlikely he get a great deal of opportunities to do that against England, where we'll be without the ball for long periods.

We need an experienced right-back playing in that position. I would have Bardsley back in the side, and Robertson as left-back.

14 minutes ago, Rossy said:

it would really be throwing Tierney to the lions by putting a young, inexperienced player up against top class forwards, in a position he is barely familiar with.

His great strength is in bombing forward, and it's unlikely he get a great deal of opportunities to do that against England, where we'll be without the ball for long periods.

We need an experienced right-back playing in that position. I would have Bardsley back in the side, and Robertson as left-back.

His great strength is actually defending. While his bombing forward is also an asset of course, he's not the typical "good going forward but can't defend" type of modern full back.

He actually sat back a lot more than he's used to on Sunday, and did a fine job. 

40 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Tierney is decent defending, Bardsley isn't going to be in the squad anyway so it's a moot point. If we're having one or the other at left back, i'd choose Tierney over Robertson. Better defender and stronger. I'd rather he played right back though and Robertson left back.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I strongly suspect Bardsley called time on Scotland career but never went public. I say that because I cannot see why he'd be overlooked otherwise and we've not heard a peep from him moaning about being overlooked as he surely would.

Makes sense. He only played for Scotland as he's not good enough for England. It's doubtful he has any real affinity with Scotland, so why would he waste his time off playing for us when it won't ever lead to him playing in a major tournament? 

That's the risk in calling up CV whores though. 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Makes sense. He only played for Scotland as he's not good enough for England. It's doubtful he has any real affinity with Scotland, so why would he waste his time off playing for us when it won't ever lead to him playing in a major tournament? 

That's the risk in calling up CV whores though. 

I'd love us to play England with 11 Scottish born players.

Gordon

Tierney Berra Mulgrew Roberton

Forrest/Fraser Armstrong Brown McCarthur/Fletcher Snograss/Anya 

Griffiths 

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Gordon

Griffiths 

Sorry to be pedantic but that would rule KT out as he was born on the Isle of Man :)

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Gordon

Griffiths 

I'd like us to have 11 Scottish players, couldn't give a shite where they were born though tbh. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

I'd like us to have 11 Scottish players, couldn't give a shite where they were born though tbh. 

Neither could i, like KT my dad was born abroad (Canada) but my grandparents moved home when he was a tot. He considers himself 100% Scottish and as long as anyone who plays for us does and is eligible then i'm happy with that. 

Phillips et al don't and i'd get them to fcuk.

5 hours ago, Reevesy said:

His great strength is actually defending. While his bombing forward is also an asset of course, he's not the typical "good going forward but can't defend" type of modern full back.

He actually sat back a lot more than he's used to on Sunday, and did a fine job. 

Tierney has great potential, but let's not kid on that he's not still learning the game. 

Both he and Robertson got caught a few times on Sunday when pushing forward, and against Slovakia Tierney didn't look like he knew what he was doing (he wasn't alone there).

I realise that I'm almost a lone voice on here in saying this, but I feel the risk of playing an inexperienced player, out of position, alongside shite like Martin and Mulgrew or whoever, and against top class forwards, is high. 

Our options are more than limited though, so I've no doubt that he'll be thrown in.

Maybe I'm on safer ground by saying that Forrest is a waste of a shirt and should be nowhere near any Scotland side, ever. 

Nobody said that he's not still learning the game. Pretty obvious that he is but at the same time he's already played in some huge games in his short career so I doubt he'd be overcome by a home game against England.

Certainly not any more so than 13 times capped Phil Bardsley.