Who should be our number 9? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who should be our number 9?

Malcolm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I saw this wrong, but when Griffiths went off, we started to be less of a threat and didn't have as many chances.  He offers a threat we haven't had for a while and he doesn't mind taking shots at goal, which is something we have not had for a long time. The game changed again when Anya came on (who should have come on long before he did for Forrest, who was pish again).   I cringed when I saw Martin coming on, but fair play to him. He dug us out of a hole. Armstrong, Tierney and Robertson should be stick ons from now on. Their presence seems to have injected something into the team. With Cairney knocking on the door, we have a couple of players now who can create. Those players can see someone Griffiths running into space and make the pass...

Griffiths needs quick balls to his feet or over the back 4 into space. When our defence takes an eternity to play the ball forward he is nullified as the opposition have got themselves sorted. All our best stuff came from quick balls . oh and tell Snody he doesn't need to touch the ball every move..  

38 minutes ago, Boboblanko said:

Maybe I saw this wrong, but when Griffiths went off, we started to be less of a threat and didn't have as many chances.  He offers a threat we haven't had for a while and he doesn't mind taking shots at goal, which is something we have not had for a long time. The game changed again when Anya came on (who should have come on long before he did for Forrest, who was pish again).   I cringed when I saw Martin coming on, but fair play to him. He dug us out of a hole. Armstrong, Tierney and Robertson should be stick ons from now on. Their presence seems to have injected something into the team. With Cairney knocking on the door, we have a couple of players now who can create. Those players can see someone Griffiths running into space and make the pass...

No you saw it right. Naismith seemed to drop deep when he came on leaving no target up front and we created next to nothing. What I couldn't understand was why LG was allowed on the pitch for the 2nd half. The guy was clearly suffering and should surely have been hooked at HT? Gutted for him when that shot came back off the post. Deserved a goal.

Griffiths for me any day of the week. I was obviously delighted to see Martin score but it had more to do with a moment of genius from Armstrong as opposed to an inspired substitution by Strachan. Not to mention the divot! I am hoping this does not guarantee Martin a start versus England as he lacks mobility and pace, and can barely jump for high balls. He has been repeatedly poor for Scotland and especially against Canada when nothing stuck to him. He is especially not suited to the lone striker role if the opposing defence plays a high line. Griffiths plays off the shoulder of last defender and is constantly running the channels into dangerous positions, has a fantastic shot, is a deal-ball expert, and not bad in the air for his height. I would also give corners to Griffiths as when he occasionally takes them for Celtic they come in like missiles with a lot of pace and bend.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I'd like to see Griffiths looking a lot stronger. He got bullied the other night.

He often does when he's not playing up against diddies like Ash Taylor or Hamilton Accies defenders.

It's also worrying that his club manager...no matter how good Dembele is...sees him only as an occasional substitute. 

I'm far from convinced that he is, or ever really will be, international class. 

Definitely has to be Griffiths for now but we've got to hope there's someone about to break somewhere ( someone Scottish) who can be a centre forward for us. Had high hopes for Tony watt who was getting capped this time last year but that doesn't look likely given his past history. Only other one on the horizon I can see is Cummings. Big couple of seasons for him coming up. Would be great to have a young Scottish striker in the team with a shot at having a decent amount of goals by the time he chucks it. We must have one of the most un-prolific all time top scorers in world football! 

Guest BlueGaz
22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd also say that with Brown, Armstrong, Forrest and Tierney in the side, i think it'll aid Griffiths as they all know his runs. I think it's good that we've 6 players from the same side in the Scotland side. Especially as that side are not used to losing and grind out results.  

Wouldn't aid Forrest.  You could see into the future and tell him exactly what to do and he would still fvck it up.

I know what you mean though, it does make sense.  I would go with Griffiths too.  But he has to step up and take his chances.

All for giving Griffiths the rest of the campaign up front , but don't know what Strachan sees in Forrest  he had a good 10mins on Sunday then was totally anonymous as usual . I still cringe at the one he put past the post at Wembley from 8yds out with the score at 1  0 . Surely Ryan Fraser would be  a better option .

21 hours ago, daviebee said:

What I couldn't understand was why LG was allowed on the pitch for the 2nd half. The guy was clearly suffering and should surely have been hooked at HT? Gutted for him when that shot came back off the post. Deserved a goal.

From Strachan's comments after the game Griffiths insisted on going back out despite the injury and having a go at playing thru it. Maybe he shouldn't have been allowed to, it looked like the kind of knock that might not feel that bad but will probably tighten up over halftime when he's stopped moving. Going back out and trying to twist and turn made him realise he was really in no condition to continue. Should Strachan have 'protected' him? Maybe, but I imagine Griffiths would have been raging to get pulled at half time when he wanted to continue.

4 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

All for giving Griffiths the rest of the campaign up front , but don't know what Strachan sees in Forrest  he had a good 10mins on Sunday then was totally anonymous as usual . I still cringe at the one he put past the post at Wembley from 8yds out with the score at 1  0 . Surely Ryan Fraser would be  a better option .

Fraser is a better option and doubtless would have played if he was fit and available.