Canada Gemme - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Canada Gemme

Ormond

55 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That doesn't explain anything though. Fans were baying for Griffiths to play and he has been picking his arse on the bench at Celtic and done nothing much when he came on. One of our better players last night was Anya and he hasn't been playing regularly himself. 

If any player is worth their salt then they should be able to trap, pass, cross and score given the chance. I saw precious little to enthuse over last night.

1. It explains plenty. Players who don't play much get rusty and lose confidence easily, especially on a pitch that bad. It's called being match ready . Again, if they're not playing they shouldn't be starting for Scotland.

2. Guy not playing regularly come on and does nothing. So? That's sort of my point

3. Anya was one of our best players, but he didn't have too much competition and basically has nothing much to loose being played so far out of position.

4. There isn't anything to be enthused about. We have a team of players, a lot of whom are average at best, a lot of them lacking match fitness, confidence and have probably lost faith in the manager whilst having the fans turn against them (not a dig at the fans in any way btw). So we're not in a good position.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are a total shambles at present stevenmcn no doubt about it. I take your point about rust etc but I refuse to accept that causes players to forget how to trap a ball, pass it, keep it under control and shoot. It is like you or I in our line of work - sure we go on holidays and don't do our jobs for a couple of weeks but come back and have not forgotten how to do the basics - the same should and does apply to footballers after all they do train even if they are not playing first team football. Confidence at rock bottom could explain it for some and not being up to standard could apply to a good deal of the others.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We are a total shambles at present stevenmcn no doubt about it. I take your point about rust etc but I refuse to accept that causes players to forget how to trap a ball, pass it, keep it under control and shoot. It is like you or I in our line of work - sure we go on holidays and don't do our jobs for a couple of weeks but come back and have not forgotten how to do the basics - the same should and does apply to footballers after all they do train even if they are not playing first team football. Confidence at rock bottom could explain it for some and not being up to standard could apply to a good deal of the others.

I agree with you.

Edited by fringo

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Makes it all the harder...impossible in fact....to work how why Strachan refuses to choose Shinnie and McLean, 2 of the most technically gifted players in Scotland, in a squad of 30 journeymen and lower league players.

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

Makes it all the harder...impossible in fact....to work how why Strachan refuses to choose Shinnie and McLean, 2 of the most technically gifted players in Scotland, in a squad of 30 journeymen and lower league players.

Also the fact that he'll bring in guys like Cooper, a player who plays in a position we're struggling in and not play him. I'm not saying Cooper's Beckenbauer or anything, but give him a game and see what he's got, if anything. He can't be worse than Hanley surely?

6 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Strachan has lost the plot & he's lost the dressing room in my opinion. I go to see Clyde quite often & I can honestly say without fear of contradiction that there are forwards playing in our domestic league 2 (our lowest senior league) that are fitter, faster & can take the odd chance that fall there way, who could easily contribute more than that stiff lump of f*****g lard Martin !!!!!!

Still Fckn Raging ....

Name them.

I watch plenty in that league and can't. Not even get close. 

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

Also the fact that he'll bring in guys like Cooper, a player who plays in a position we're struggling in and not play him. I'm not saying Cooper's Beckenbauer or anything, but give him a game and see what he's got, if anything. He can't be worse than Hanley surely?

Yep, should have had a run out at least.

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

I haven't seen that much of either but what I have seen of Shinnie he's worth a squad place at least.

We have enough left back cover IMO but hasn't Shinnie also been playing in midfield this season so is an option for several positions ?

If Anya can play right back (and did well again) then surely Shinnie is worth inclusion in some way ?

16 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

Of course it is, be picked them, then went on to say that this is what happens when players aren't playing a lot. If they aren't playing don't pick them, pick players who are playing week in week out and are in form. Look at Snodgrass last night for example. Most people would probably have him as a first pick on Sunday because he scored a hat trick 7 months ago, but he's not kicked his arse since December and has been dropped by his club. I'd imagine he's not exactly brimming with confidence.

I can see why players might not be as match sharp if they aren't starting alot but at this level of football and being well into the season with training daily and still getting game time, you can't then blame a manager for touches that should be bread and butter. Chris Martin had a couple aswell that were noticeable when the ball got fired into his feet.

20 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, let's get Mulgrew and Berra to retire and bring in Cooper who's utter pish.

Also, get Naismith and Fletcher to retire and build a team round McArthur who is the exact same age. 

Sound logic.

Have you watched Cooper? well I have as a Leeds fan and he is far better than Berra and Mulgrew.

Did I say build a whole team round McArthur no I did not ya t*t.  I said I would rather keep McArthur the now as he is only 29 where as Brown is 31 and Darren Fletcher is 33.  Keep McArthur in the now for experience and have Armstrong, Fraser and Burke playing midfield with him. You are an argumentive knob, and I am done replying to you.  all you do is try and argue with folk on here and most killie fans I know are good guys but you are a tosser.

12 hours ago, macy37 said:

Name them.

I watch plenty in that league and can't. Not even get close. 

I'll name one from my own club Peter MacDonald (Peaso, played for St Johnstone years ago) - he's 36 or 37 and I can assure you he is fitter, faster & a better finisher than that useless twat Martin.

If you want more names - go f*****g look for yourself !!

3 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

I'll name one from my own club Peter MacDonald (Peaso, played for St Johnstone years ago) - he's 36 or 37 and I can assure you he is fitter, faster & a better finisher than that useless twat Martin.

MacDonald was notorious for being unfit at Saints. :lol:

On 22/03/2017 at 9:26 PM, weekevie04 said:

Bannan, Rhodes, Wallace, Berra, Rhodes, Mulgrew nowhere near being good enough to compete at a decent level.

Anya is quick and very capable against lesser opponents, but struggles against anyone of a decent standard

Passing it about much better than the first half, but still we look very poor and the same old - misplaced passes, terrible first touch, defensively all over the place and a better team would be 2/3-1, and we create next to nothing up front.

Strachan has to go, and if it goes badly on Sunday e.g 0-3 etc, I assume he will do just that.

I thought Rhodes did ok, chased players and won the ball a couple of time, held it up and actually ran and jumped unlike Martin. Was u lucky with the ball Griffith's played him, loked like it was just under his feet. 

11 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Stay off those drugs. Jesus what the have you taken? 

Wednesday night was an absolute shambles. There are 2 reasons for playing friendlies. One is to blood new players, the other is to prepare for a match that matters. The Canada game was the latter so Strachan should have been putting out the team he was planning to pick against Slovenia. To rest the Celtic players was a joke. To suggest they can't play Sunday-Wednesday-Sunday is nonsense. I'll be surprised if more than 2 or 3 of the Canada starting XI start against Slovenia.

Strachan's post match comments about the players being rusty were just plain wrong. Of the Canada starting XI only Anya, Burke and Martin haven't been starting for their clubs recently. He's either lost the plot or just given up.

9 hours ago, Jaggy Jim said:

Wednesday night was an absolute shambles. There are 2 reasons for playing friendlies. One is to blood new players, the other is to prepare for a match that matters. The Canada game was the latter so Strachan should have been putting out the team he was planning to pick against Slovenia. To rest the Celtic players was a joke. To suggest they can't play Sunday-Wednesday-Sunday is nonsense. I'll be surprised if more than 2 or 3 of the Canada starting XI start against Slovenia.

Strachan's post match comments about the players being rusty were just plain wrong. Of the Canada starting XI only Anya, Burke and Martin haven't been starting for their clubs recently. He's either lost the plot or just given up.

given up, him and McGhee

both already fully aware Sunday will be last ever game they manage in football