Team for Slovenia - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Slovenia

er yir macaroon

6 minutes ago, calmc92 said:

4-2-3-1 brings the most balance between attack and defence and turns into a 4-5-1 when you don't have the ball but also lets you attack with 4 when you have it with a confidence that you will always have plenty cover at the back. He's not going to change it now days before the last chance of this campaign, cause if we don't win it's officially over.

It's not as if we are actually any better than Slovenia, if anything we are on par with them. A 1-1 draw is actually my correct score prediction although it means we would be out, players like llicic and Kampl would stroll into our team.

Does it do that for us? All i've seen the last.... must be coming on 8-10 games now is a groundhog day of monotony and depressing slow paced terrible football.

Anyone with any sense on this board knows that under the present management and with the present system and selection of players we are where we deserve to be in this group. It's likely that under Strachan and setting us up how he does we would win only 1 more game for the rest of the campaign, at home to Malta.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Does it do that for us? All i've seen the last.... must be coming on 8-10 games now is a groundhog day of monotony and depressing slow paced terrible football.

Anyone with any sense on this board knows that under the present management and with the present system and selection of players we are where we deserve to be in this group. It's likely that under Strachan and setting us up how he does we would win only 1 more game for the rest of the campaign, at home to Malta.

Out of interest, what would be your formation and lineup for the game?

21 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I've no issue with the formation, as you say though it doesn't bring us that balance and hasn't done so since November 2014.

A 4-2-3-1 works if the personal is correct, this inverted winger he insists on using each time is the problem here. I'm clinging to a hope that Fraser may change this on Sunday but I very much doubt it and that wont be through any fault of Ryan Fraser.

At one point last night while watching, it looked as if we had nobody on the right hand side. Griffiths and Snoddy both seemed to be trying to play the No. 10 role while bugger knows what Bannan was doing apart from playing the ball back or trying Hollywood passes form 50 yards away.

7 minutes ago, calmc92 said:

Out of interest, what would be your formation and lineup for the game?

Since you asked;

GK Gordon
RB Bardsley
CB Brown (Centre back - this one is controversial i know!)
CB Berra/Mulgrew/Wilson/Cooper whats the difference. Maybe even try Lindsay there
DL Tierney
MR Burke
MC Armstrong
MC McArthur/Cairney
ML Fraser
FW Griffiths
FW Rhodes

Bench; Marshall, Robertson, Cooper/Wilson/Lindsay, Kingsley, Shinnie, McArthur/Cairney, Forrest, Gauld, Snodgrass, Kenny Miller

Personally would rather see Kenny Miller back chasing things down and holding the ball up than ever seeing Chris Martin in a Scotland shirt again.

1 hour ago, drew said:

After last nights game

Gordon

Anya Martin Berra Tierney

Brown Armstrong

Fraser Cairney Ritchie

Griffiths

That central defence still doesn't fill me with confidence but I can't think of anything better. Might be worth throwing in Cooper but that was what last night was for.

Normally I'd be shouting for Snodgrass to start but I've not been impressed with him since the Malta game.

Griffiths up front as it's the least worst option and hasn't had the same opportunities that Martin and Fletcher have. If not Griffiths then Rhodes.

The other option that I've thought about is to go with a back 3 and play 2 up front. We're going to concede goals anyway so lets just try and see who can outscore who. Of course this is crazy thinking as we seem incapable of scoring goals unless it's the bottom seeds and our defence options are so poor that I'd rather play Tierney as a left sided centre back than anybody else. 

Gordon

Martin Berra Tierney

Fraser Brown Cairney Armstrong Ritchie

Griffiths Rhodes

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

A formation can be played many different ways. I'm not sure why folk get so bogged down in them. One formation can be played in so many different ways. Unfortunately, the way we play our 4-3-2-1 is completely different to the way Germany play their's, for example :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

A formation can be played many different ways. I'm not sure why folk get so bogged down in them. One formation can be played in so many different ways. Unfortunately, the way we play our 4-3-2-1 is completely different to the way Germany play their's, for example :lol: 

Correct. Even though Strachan doesn't pick the squad or line-up that he should, a better manager would still manage to be more successful with the same squad, line-up and formation for sure.

Gordon

Martin      Berra      Mulgrew     Tierney

Brown     Armstrong

Burke                Cairney            Fraser  

Griffiths

On 21/03/2017 at 8:48 PM, kumnio said:

Gordon

Anya Martin Mulgrew Tierney

Ritchie Brown Morrison Fletcher Snodgrass

Fletcher

I think thats what Strachan will pick, it wouldnt be my team.

Aye, I'd put money on that being the starting lineup.

Swap Armstrong for Morrison if he doesn't make it.

1 hour ago, silverbear said:

Gordon

Martin      Berra      Mulgrew     Tierney

Brown     Armstrong

Burke                Cairney            Fraser  

Griffiths

I like this but id swap fletcher for brown. there is a love in for brown because he does good against inferior players in spfl. If anyone watched last night and Id love to see the stats fletcher done more running than anyone and hes always looking to go forward. he has played something like 90 games in a row for WBA who are 9th in epl so is battle hardened against good players. more importantly he cares brown doesnt.

Gordon 

Martin    Cooper    Tierney 

Anya                                  Robertson

Armstrong      Cairney 

Burke                                        Fraser

Griffiths

I would go with something like this. Give Cooper a shot, he can't be any worse than Berra or Mulgrew. See if Tierney can do the Ben Davies role for Wales.  Tell them to play wide, balls in behind for Burke, Fraser and Griffiths. 

Strachan will have Martin and brown playing for sure 

Edited by GordyA88

2 hours ago, Marky said:

This is the team I'd like to start for us on Sunday.

GK - Tomaszewski

RB - McGrain

CB - Beckenbauer

CB - Baresi

LB - Maldini

RM - Jarzinho

CM - Messi

CM - Maradona

LM - Cruyff

Str - Law

Str - Puskas

:ok:

Pffft.  Obviously the Manager is picking McGrain just to keep the Celtic fans happy.  So obvious.....

11 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Pffft.  Obviously the Manager is picking McGrain just to keep the Celtic fans happy.  So obvious.....

I thought about picking Jardine at left back to keep the Bears happy but Maldini just shaded it. :ok:

9 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

"I'm not sure what's expected at Hampden," he said. "I would only implore the supporters to at worst come along and if we're rubbish then boo us.

Mark McGhee

Seriously?????

A call to arms worthy of William Wallace himself. 

10 minutes ago, Reevesy said:

"I'm not sure what's expected at Hampden," he said. "I would only implore the supporters to at worst come along and if we're rubbish then boo us.

Mark McGhee

I'd prefer it if they'd refund us for the season tickets of they are rubbish. 

1 minute ago, GordyA88 said:

I found the "Come along because, you never know, we might be decent" line particularly infuriating.

Agreed. Must be great motivation for the players hearing stuff like that.