Team for Slovenia - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Slovenia

er yir macaroon

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

nobody is saying start him

anyone with sense is saying don't leave him out the squad altogether and be the only player not stripped

That is the manager's call and as I said we have no idea of his fitness etc. Just remember if fans had their way Martin would never have got on the pitch to score the winner.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

He isn't getting a game for Sheffield wed... I think Jordan Rhodes is ahead of him there even.

With no S Fletcher on the bench (which I'd not noticed) it also makes me wonder why WGS thought it better to bring on Naismith ahead of Rhodes on Sunday.

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'll take that as you cannot answer my questions because you know what the truth is.

No, I couldn't answer your question cause I was at work and yes, I know the truth, the truth is that you know very little about football. ?

11 hours ago, fringo said:

With no S Fletcher on the bench (which I'd not noticed) it also makes me wonder why WGS thought it better to bring on Naismith ahead of Rhodes on Sunday.

Think he hoped Naismith was the most like for like replacement for Griffiths so we could keep our 1st half momentum going. In fact Naismith ended up dropping way too deep like a second striker and we lost much of our threat up front. Not sure Rhodes would have worked at half time but in hindsight I'd rather it had been him than Naismith.

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Its not me who cannot answer simple football-related questions.

You cannot answer very simple questions, or understand very simple concepts on a whole host of subjects, let alone just football. 

13 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

Steven Fletcher didn't make the bench either.

Didn't even notice. Which says a lot for Fletcher!

Is the two keepers thing a rule? Strachan has on more than one occasion left out players for a third goalkeeper/it's maybe a rule that he has to do this.

I genuinely think Strachan dislikes Rhodes. The only reason he got a call up is because he couldn't call up his favourite Steven Fletcher without calling Rhodes up, since he's keeping him out the team at club level. He knew it could give everyone another stick to beat him with. 

1 hour ago, GordyA88 said:

I genuinely think Strachan dislikes Rhodes. The only reason he got a call up is because he couldn't call up his favourite Steven Fletcher without calling Rhodes up, since he's keeping him out the team at club level. He knew it could give everyone another stick to beat him with. 

Karanka and Strachan haven't had faith Rhodes can be the main striker. Rhodes offers little to a team other than being a goal poacher. He has an impressive track record at championship level but is the sort of player who if he doesn't score then offers little. He doesn't harry or bully defenders like Joe Jordan. He doesn't whizz about like Kenny Miller. Strachan would have to be sure that the rest of the Scotland team would be energetic enough and have enough of the ball in attacking areas to play Rhodes. It's possible versus England Rhodes wouldn't touch the ball. There again he might latch on to two good crosses and score with his only two touches. Who knows? That's football.     

42 minutes ago, Tartacus said:

Karanka and Strachan haven't had faith Rhodes can be the main striker. Rhodes offers little to a team other than being a goal poacher. He has an impressive track record at championship level but is the sort of player who if he doesn't score then offers little. He doesn't harry or bully defenders like Joe Jordan. He doesn't whizz about like Kenny Miller. Strachan would have to be sure that the rest of the Scotland team would be energetic enough and have enough of the ball in attacking areas to play Rhodes. It's possible versus England Rhodes wouldn't touch the ball. There again he might latch on to two good crosses and score with his only two touches. Who knows? That's football.     

After Rhodes left Boro, I read on a sky sports feed on Facebook where Boro fans were unhappy he'd been let go believe it or not. Apparently he wasn't signed by Karanka (I assume must have been chairman) and that's why he never got a game. Fans had said the only chance he got was pre season where he scored a few goals and also admired his professionalism for just working hard, keeping his mouth shut and trying to force himself into the squad. I think Rhodes offers more than a few people think.

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

After Rhodes left Boro, I read on a sky sports feed on Facebook where Boro fans were unhappy he'd been let go believe it or not. Apparently he wasn't signed by Karanka (I assume must have been chairman) and that's why he never got a game. Fans had said the only chance he got was pre season where he scored a few goals and also admired his professionalism for just working hard, keeping his mouth shut and trying to force himself into the squad. I think Rhodes offers more than a few people think.

Quite agree. He is just a bit mediocre at the other aspects of his game, but he does do those things (tracking back, chasing down etc)

5 hours ago, Tartacus said:

gary lineker would never have had a career in modern football

all he did was stand in the six yard box and knock them in

nothing wrong with that

On 28/03/2017 at 10:59 PM, Diamond Scot said:

The original comment was about Burke not making the bench. The debate has then been argued on why he shouldnt be starting.

The bench for international matches is huge. No reason why Burke shouldnt have been given a place on the bench. Even if it wasnt the intention of playing him at any point it gives him experience and also gives the manager the option of bringing him on if the game dictated it. Ie if they played a really high line and we wanted pace to go in behind.

We named 2 keepers on the bench. Can anybody give me a reason why you would have a 3rd gk rather than another outfield option?

Most countrys in the world recognise young talent and bring them through accordingly. Wales for example had the likes of Ramsay and Bale in at a younger age and were getting humped all the time. They did so because they knew that in the years to come both players would be key for them and when that day came they would have loads of experience.

We have a player who has the physical assets to be a top top player. He has moved for a Scottish transfer record fee, is getting game time albeit limited in one of the top 4 leagues at at team who are 2nd top of that league.

What do we do with this player? Treat him with utter contempt. Send him home mid way through an international week and then dont let him get stripped for another, instead having a 3rd gk on the bench.

Two keepers is a rule as far as I've been told before, although it may be pish.

On 29/03/2017 at 1:30 PM, sbcmfc said:

This seems as good a place as any to mention that James Forrest was all but anonymous again!

I can see why he's included as by all accounts his club form has been decent, although he was in the squad when it was poor. How long do we persist with a guy who is completely anonymous in a Scotland shirt.

Not neccesarily to say Burke is the answer, possibly Naismith? Anyone else really.

His club form has been pish. A few good games here and there if you're being generous and a couple of goals. Truly awful player!

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Didn't even notice. Which says a lot for Fletcher!

Is the two keepers thing a rule? Strachan has on more than one occasion left out players for a third goalkeeper/it's maybe a rule that he has to do this.

As above