u17s - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

u17s

er yir macaroon

8 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Hope Aitchison in particular gets more chances at Celtic. He looks like he could develop into an all round forward and that's exactly what we need. Rodgers has clearly noticed him so here's hoping.

Talking about what we need.  Who were our central defenders and how were they, not that it sounds like they were too tested last night.

9 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Hope Aitchison in particular gets more chances at Celtic. He looks like he could develop into an all round forward and that's exactly what we need. Rodgers has clearly noticed him so here's hoping.

normally I would say no chance

but Rodgers has given youth a chance in the past, sterling

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

He barely has this season and he's going to win the league by about 40 points!

I reckon once the league is clinched this weekend or next, Rodgers will give Aitchison, Calvin Miller etc a wee sniff more game time.

Aitchison is only just 17 as well, so time is on his side (tho don't want to be saying that still when he's 22)

1 hour ago, Rude Gullit said:

I reckon once the league is clinched this weekend or next, Rodgers will give Aitchison, Calvin Miller etc a wee sniff more game time.

Aitchison is only just 17 as well, so time is on his side (tho don't want to be saying that still when he's 22)

I'd imagine he'll go out on loan next season if he doesn't make the first team. He's far too good for u20s.

Middleton looked to have two good feet, skill, determination and a real physical edge. I'm confident he'll make the step up to the full team, although for the first time in a long time there is fierce competition for his position. 17 is only a year off full international for those players good enough. U21 level policy looks to be to play 18-19 year olds and i'm very much in agreement with that. The likes of Armstrong have shown the long route is still possible though.

On 18/03/2017 at 7:13 AM, Hertsscot said:

Talking about what we need.  Who were our central defenders and how were they, not that it sounds like they were too tested last night.

Think it was Stephen Welsh and Robbie Deas both from Celtic. 

Started pretty poorly but got their act together after a while. 

Let some long balls bounce instead of dealing with them properly early doors which made for some dodgy moments with the keeper too. 

We could have been 2 down before we scored so they had a bit of luck on their side too. 

17 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I've said it before but Middleton is a fantastic prospect.

1-0 up v Serbia. 

He's been superb. Quick, strong, skilful and clinical.

Serbia are a good big side, but we can match them physically and have players with more ability. There's no reason, other than the omnipresent risk of nedery, that some these players can progress to the full team.

Another good team performance today & lot of talent on show.  Gemmill does a great job encouraging / organising  

from the sidelines. Poor referee - some atrocious decisions & fell for all Serbia's play acting. Hopefully do business on Wednesday to qualify for Croatia.

51 minutes ago, sporranmaster said:

Another good team performance today & lot of talent on show.  Gemmill does a great job encouraging / organising  

from the sidelines. Poor referee - some atrocious decisions & fell for all Serbia's play acting. Hopefully do business on Wednesday to qualify for Croatia.

I take it Steven Pressley is no !Interested involved at this level?

15 hours ago, Mox said:

I look forward to all of them being utter guff by the time they get to 21.

Was at the Supporters Direct Summit at Hampden yesterday where Regen talked about Project Brave (some "interesting" pointers to it, but a case of same old-same old mostly) and at U17 level we are ranked number 5 in UEFA (and pretty constant), yet seems to fall away by U19 level, and completely evaporated by U21 level (the U21's being unable to compete and make finals actually seems to be more of a concern than the main team somewhat) and this is something they really are trying hard to improve on.

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Was at the Supporters Direct Summit at Hampden yesterday where Regen talked about Project Brave (some "interesting" pointers to it, but a case of same old-same old mostly) and at U17 level we are ranked number 5 in UEFA (and pretty constant), yet seems to fall away by U19 level, and completely evaporated by U21 level (the U21's being unable to compete and make finals actually seems to be more of a concern than the main team somewhat) and this is something they really are trying hard to improve on.

the current u17s seem a lot more physical than in recent years. It's normally men against boys, but not this year. They've been technically better than the opposition, so I'm hopeful we're moving in the right direction.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

the current u17s seem a lot more physical than in recent years. It's normally men against boys, but not this year. They've been technically better than the opposition, so I'm hopeful we're moving in the right direction.

This was one factor that he touched on, the need for Colt Teams or encourage teams to loan players out to lower league clubs so it can be boys against men, rather than the current format of kids in youth teams playing against other kids.