25/5/1967 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

With Tommy Gemmell and Billy Mcneil being in the news this week, it got me thinking.

What are your memories of this historic day? Wee bit before my time but it's lovely to hear all the old stories.

Scottish football's finest hour. 

1 minute ago, Reevesy said:

With Tommy Gemmell and Billy Mcneil being in the news this week, it got me thinking.

What are your memories of this historic day? Wee bit before my time but it's lovely to hear all the old stories.

Scottish football's finest hour. 

Was 10 years old at the time, and with the benefit of another 50 years on the planet, I didn't realise the significance of what the country and Glasgow in particular experienced that week.

Came home from school at 1550 and went out to play football in the park as normal. Kick off was at 1715 and at 1705 my dad was shouting at me out the tenement window to get my ass up the road in time for kick-off!!!

Cue mass hysteria in the West End streets after the game - it was the first time my younger brother and I were allowed up after 2015. Vividly remember a picture in the paper next day showing a totally deserted Sauchiehall St at 1800 on a Thursday night.

Got taken to Celtic Park the following evening for the 'homecoming' - I think there were 60,000 inside the ground? The atmosphere that night is unlikely to be repeated in Scotland. Similar in many respects to Leicester's celebrations last May, but on another scale.

Rangers played Bayern Munich in the ECWC final on the 31st and lost out in extra-time. I believe if they had won it would have been the first time that teams from the same city had won the two major European trophies in the same season. That was also the season that Clyde finished 3rd in the league behind the ugly sisters.

The late sixties and early seventies were a great time to be growing up as a Scottish football supporter.

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's the one that's got his hands up in the air in the first pic and in middle of the other 3. Went to every home game in the run up and then the final itself. Used to love hearing his stories.

In that heat with a suit on! 

The old boy with them's got a jumper on as well.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Rangers played Bayern Munich in the ECWC final on the 31st and lost out in extra-time. I believe if they had won it would have been the first time that teams from the same city had won the two major European trophies in the same season. That was also the season that Clyde finished 3rd in the league behind the ugly sisters.

Killie got to the FAIRS Cup semis that season too!

47 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Way before my time but here's a few pictures of my grandad at Prestwick Airport, Lisbon City Centre and at the game.

C52_t_MXQAIOPSr.jpg:large

C52_oujWAAQFXtb.jpg:largeC52_kcoWUAAYyuF.jpg:largeC5x9cAiWAAAwnCY.jpg:large

Classic photos!

Green UJ? :blink: 

On the day of the game I lived in glebe street in the townhead,a family who lived 2 landings up had moved out, they were Celtic daft and one of the bedrooms wall was covered in Celtic photos, I climbed up the drainpipe and got in through the window, took all the photos of the wall and slung them out to my pals, when I think back I wonder why I done it as I am scared of heights and can't even look over a balcony now,

Fairly similar to Barney's.

I played football after school. There were 3 lads in the same team that were Celtic fans, all brothers.

We went back to their house after, as it was nearest & I sat there with them & their Dad & youngest brother.

I started off supporting Inter Milan, naturally, but after they scored after about 5mins they shut up shop & set out to play backs to the wall defensive football. 

After about half an hour I began to want Celtic to win as it became good guys v bad guys.

Justice was done that day but if you ever meet me I'll deny all of it. :D

I was just a wee laddie, and it's the earliest football I can remember.

I don't think I knew who either team was, but was taken by the Inter strip (on black and white TV).  I remember my dad putting me straight :)

5 hours ago, 86glebestreet said:

On the day of the game I lived in glebe street in the townhead,a family who lived 2 landings up had moved out, they were Celtic daft and one of the bedrooms wall was covered in Celtic photos, I climbed up the drainpipe and got in through the window, took all the photos of the wall and slung them out to my pals, when I think back I wonder why I done it as I am scared of heights and can't even look over a balcony now,

Small world  

You weren't the kid at number 86 that we all used to slag off behind your back because you were scared of heights????

7 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Small world  

You weren't the kid at number 86 that we all used to slag off behind your back because you were scared of heights????

How would I know if you were not brave enough to slag me off to my face,  

if thats true and as Liam Neeson says. I will find you and I will kill you,