Marathon Advice - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Marathon Advice

Hi there

It has been on my to-do list for a few years now, so thinking of running a marathon this year before I get too old to run a decent time.

Been looking at the Perthshire and Fort William runs later this year.

Thing that puts me off the Perthshire one is that it's a half marathon course that you run round twice, think I'd struggle with that psychologically.

Fort William run mentions various terrain, don't want to be running through forests and mud tracks.

Think I will have to pick one of them though as this will fit into a 16 week training plan which I aim to complete prior to the race.

Any advice / tips would be greatly appreciated.

16 minutes ago, adamntg said:

I ran a marathon once. Never again.  Your body is not supposed to run that kind of distance.  

Glad I did once though. 

Haha, I totally agree, but would like to do it once too!

Edited by Daz1982

I did Fort William last year and can confirm it's pretty tough and very through a forest.

They also messed up the route meaning all the fast runners went about 30miles.

Left with a PW.

Will be back this year to avenge.

1 minute ago, deecie said:

I did Fort William last year and can confirm it's pretty tough and very through a forest.

Left with a PW.

A guy my mate runs with at Kilmarnock Harriers won that race. I think they are boycotting it this year due to how badly run it is.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

A guy my mate runs with at Kilmarnock Harriers won that race. I think they are boycotting it this year due to how badly run it is.

Don't blame them, I'm only returning as it's at a very convenient time for me.

If you have to do a Scottish marathon choose Loch Ness.

4 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

Hi there

It has been on my to-do list for a few years now, so thinking of running a marathon this year before I get too old to run a decent time.

Thing that puts me off the Perthshire one is that it's a half marathon course that you run round twice, think I'd struggle with that psychologically.

Fort William run mentions various terrain, don't want to be running through forests and mud tracks.

Think I will have to pick one of them though as this will fit into a 16 week training plan which I aim to complete prior to the race.

I don't know either of those races but I would say that the double loop might not be that bad.  It helps you split the race up mentally in your head and, if your training has gone okay, the first lap will almost feel like a warm up before you get into the real race.

18 hours ago, Denny's Yard said:

I don't know either of those races but I would say that the double loop might not be that bad.  It helps you split the race up mentally in your head and, if your training has gone okay, the first lap will almost feel like a warm up before you get into the real race.

Not a bad way to think about it!

That's me booked up for it, training starts next week!!

23 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

Hi there

I would recommend avoiding both those. For your first, I think you should look to one of the mass participation events (Edinburgh and Loch Ness come to mind) as the crowds and fellow runners will keep your spirits up, especially for those last few miles.

Im pretty sure both the ones you mention get pretty small fields, and you could find yourself running on your own for large chunks of the race, and very few people there when you cross the finishing line,

On 02/03/2017 at 2:34 PM, deecie said:

Left with a PW.

I read that as 'very tough and through a pretty forest.' and thought that would be nice and a bit different for the runners.:oops: