Old STV football quiz show - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old STV football quiz show

was doing some nostalgic browsing on you tube last night (came across an interesting Sport in Question episode hoested by Archie with the Kelly's and Huge Keevins and Davie Provan debating the crisi at Sellick and the possible move to cambuslang - remember that!! hahahaha!).

anyways I was racking my pea brain trying to remember the name of a quiz show that there might be clips of on the youtube - think it was on stv, I reckon mid to late 90s - kind of a Scottish version of they think its all over. pretty sure one of the captains was tony roper and might have been hosted by jim 'how are you just so good' white. kind of not very serious and funny, with purely Scottish football guys on.

anyone else remember this and what it was called???

I remember one eposide ally McLeod was on along with DJ and they were giving poor ally pelters over the argentine etc.

also got me thinking of another stv show may be a few years later - late night magazine type show with jim white and kirsty young - kind of random stuff, not sport related more general news etfc. anyone mind o this show???

6 minutes ago, Boynze said:

was doing some nostalgic browsing on you tube last night (came across an interesting Sport in Question episode hoested by Archie with the Kelly's and Huge Keevins and Davie Provan debating the crisi at Sellick and the possible move to cambuslang - remember that!! hahahaha!).

anyways I was racking my pea brain trying to remember the name of a quiz show that there might be clips of on the youtube - think it was on stv, I reckon mid to late 90s - kind of a Scottish version of they think its all over. pretty sure one of the captains was tony roper and might have been hosted by jim 'how are you just so good' white. kind of not very serious and funny, with purely Scottish football guys on.

anyone else remember this and what it was called???

I remember one eposide ally McLeod was on along with DJ and they were giving poor ally pelters over the argentine etc.

also got me thinking of another stv show may be a few years later - late night magazine type show with jim white and kirsty young - kind of random stuff, not sport related more general news etfc. anyone mind o this show???

A Game of Two Halves?

A Game of Two Halves - if its the one I'm thinking of with Jim White - was pretty poor. It was maybe ok on the first watch but each week was just the same jokes based on the stereotypes of rangers and celtic fans eg orange walks, chapels, the ref was a mason etc, etc.

Denis Law had the look of "what the eff have I signed up for?"

I was in the audience for it once, the first episode...  we were told when to laugh and clap.   I think it was early-90s.   

When Michael Portillo shows up 3rd in a Google Images search for "A Game of Two Halves" Scottish TV show, that tells you it was an absolute flop. 

Edit:

Was mid-90s. 

http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b8085165f 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12100926.Lawman_not_so_quick_on_the_draw/

There's also a very similar thread on Follow Follow, but that descends into wishing ill of Catholics in just a few posts. :lol:

Edited by OLAS

"Who's the mason in the black?" was a regular feature. There was also one where they played a clip of Jim Farry speaking and they had to guess what he was talking about.

"They Think It's All Over" was great. Always remember this episode, Chris Eubank says Jonah Lomu is "a big poof", then Lomu comes out for the feel the sportsman round.

Edited by Davied14

15 hours ago, OLAS said:

I was in the audience for it once, the first episode...  we were told when to laugh and clap.   I think it was early-90s.   

When Michael Portillo shows up 3rd in a Google Images search for "A Game of Two Halves" Scottish TV show, that tells you it was an absolute flop. 

Edit:

Was mid-90s. 

http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b8085165f 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12100926.Lawman_not_so_quick_on_the_draw/

There's also a very similar thread on Follow Follow, but that descends into wishing ill of Catholics in just a few posts. :lol:

I wonder how many posters on Follow Follow have changed their PIN numbers since Trainspotting 2 :lol:

This was on VERY late at night IIRC? Seem to recall it was very much in the OAE? area of comedy, and did have its moments with Jim White effectively playing his characterture from OAE? (Seem to recall Donald Findlay was on it and gave him the silly masons knuckle counting handshake as a joke) but grew old very fast with the second series extremely poor.

also, seem to recall it was shown during the school summer holidays.

Edited by wanderer

• 5 years later...