Mayweather vs McGregor - Page 2 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mayweather vs McGregor

euan2020

8 hours ago, Ormond said:

The thing is a total set up between the pair. Probably best of buddies pishing theirselves laughing at the idiots who will pay big bucks for an exhibition like this.

Nah McGregor has a monstrous ego and thinks he's the premiere combat athlete and is planning to depose Floyd.

Not going to work but Conor actually believes he is going to win, that's his madness.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mind when Jimmy white and Ronnie O'sullivan went from snooker to pool, and europe won the musconi cup for the first time ever ;) Or the time Snooker player Steve Davis beat All-time great pool player Earl strickland at the worlds :P

in fact it was steve davis, Alex higgins and jimmy white playing in 1995. 3 snooker players beating the best american pool players at 9 ball.

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/steve-davis-mosconi-2002-was-one-of-the-best-moments-of-my-career/

Having played in each of the first 11 Mosconi Cups from 1994, ‘The Nugget’ was a stalwart of the early years of pool’s greatest competition and describes his first victory as “one of the highlights of my career – regardless that it wasn’t even my career.”

Unlike in recent times, Team USA dominated the first decade of the Mosconi Cup. Having lost the inaugural event, Europe hit back in 1995 with a 16-15 victory in Romford. But they had to wait seven years to lift the famous trophy again. In 2002 they were 12-9 winners, responding in style to the 12-1 humiliation dished out by an all-star American side in which a 25-year-old Corey Deuel was the MVP.

“We had the crowd on our side and we were leading 11-9 when I went into battle against the mercurial and temperamental legend that was the eight-time nine-ball World champion, Earl Strickland.

“In normal circumstances, there would only have been one winner, but in a best-of-nine this turned out to be one of the most exciting matches I have ever experienced with a cue in my hand. It went down to 4-4 and sudden death.

“Earl took control of the rack but an uncharacteristic error while playing from the five ball for position on the six meant he had a missable shot. Ironically, it was the same type of shot as my black against Dennis Taylor. Amazingly, he missed it. Suddenly, I was three balls away from beating one of the greats of the game and securing the first credible win for the Europeans against the mighty Americans. I knocked in the six and the eight to leave myself perfectly on the nine ball.

Edited by phart

12 hours ago, phart said:

Mayweather has a 99.5% chance of winning but all this can finish it in 30 seconds if he wants is just nonsense, McGregor won't hit him nonsense. I'm just offering bets in case someone is daft enough to actually believe it and i can cash in big,

Mayweather has fecked hands and is using 10 ounce gloves in the fight.

McGregor has sparred thousands of rounds boxing at Pascal Collins boxing gym.

Mayweather is going to win.

We'll see what happens - I stand by my comments --- One thing for sure I won't be watching

9 hours ago, Robbo `81 said:

We'll see what happens - I stand by my comments --- One thing for sure I won't be watching

I think it will be like the Gatti fight. He couldn't stop Gatti when he wanted to but he could beat him down bad till he was all cut and swollen and eventually get him out of there.

On 31/07/2017 at 8:41 PM, phart said:

I think it will be like the Gatti fight. He couldn't stop Gatti when he wanted to but he could beat him down bad till he was all cut and swollen and eventually get him out of there.

This. I don't think McGregor will be easily knocked out but sparring with normal boxers is nothing like actually fighting one of the best boxers there is. 

Mayweather will essentially be using him like a punch bag. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

so this is here

Is it possible for them both to lose? that would be ideal

They both win no matter the outcome. It's an absolute sham and has been concocted to appeal to the biggest wallopers around. Eejits paying for a pre-rehearsed load of pantomime need their heads checked. It's no better than a Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair thing. 

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

They both win no matter the outcome. It's an absolute sham and has been concocted to appeal to the biggest wallopers around. Eejits paying for a pre-rehearsed load of pantomime need their heads checked. It's no better than a Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair thing. 

Correct. $100 PPV in America and they're expecting 5million buys from that territory alone. The fact that there is a market for an event like this perfectly sums up modern society - obsessed with trash reality entertainment.

As a boxing fan I will be tuning into the Cotto v Kamegai / Vargas v Rios card on boxnation. Two interesting fights there.

Edited by morrie21

Dont like either of them but really hate the whole mcgregor fan boy thing with the celtic lot jumping on board ofmcourse. Hes not even in the top 10 MMA figters ffs.Hope mayweather embarrases him

On 22/08/2017 at 4:15 PM, Ormond said:

Are people who pay for "pre-rehearsed loads of pantomime" like DVD box-sets, cinema tickets, theatre tickets or TV packages and subscription channels eejits too?

It sounds like your criticizing people who are choosing to pay, watch and hopefully be entertained a certain form of entertainment. By throwing it in with "a Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair thing" you are throwing it in with all other forms of entertainment so I really don't see why people should be criticized for watching or wanting to know the outcome. The world is a big place with a lot of people with a lot of different tastes in entertainment. By the sounds of the early buy-rate predictions this seems to be quite a popular choice of entertainment for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

Are people who pay for "pre-rehearsed loads of pantomime" like DVD box-sets, cinema tickets, theatre tickets or TV packages and subscription channels eejits too?

It sounds like your criticizing people who are choosing to pay, watch and hopefully be entertained a certain form of entertainment. By throwing it in with "a Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair thing" you are throwing it in with all other forms of entertainment so I really don't see why people should be criticized for watching or wanting to know the outcome. The world is a big place with a lot of people with a lot of different tastes in entertainment. By the sounds of the early buy-rate predictions this seems to be quite a popular choice of entertainment for a lot of people.

Are you American?

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Are you American?

I'm not sure if your question is in response to my statement but I feel like I might have struck a chord so I'll try explain a bit further.

I wasn't taking a direct shot at you; I was just saying my piece on the criticism this fight seems to be generating.

Personally, I am not buying the event as I am not really interested in the outcome of the fight but I am curious in how the fight will play out technically. As a fan of MMA it will be interesting to me to see what will actually happen; early round KO for Mayweather like a lot are predicting? Will McGregor actually land any significant punches / surprise people with a competitive few rounds? If he does connect, will McGregor's punches do as much damage as they do in UFC? If it goes long who has the better stamina- the guy coming out of retirement or the guy used to fighting 5x 5minute rounds? Both striking, counter striking and defensive styles are interesting too. I'll most probably wait and see what happens before deciding if I'll watch it or not. Due to the above reasons I must have taken offense as being labelled an eejit for being interested in the fight so I apologies for jumping in and saying my piece as a direct response to you.

I am in complete agreement with what a lot of people have already said that the promotion and hype for this has gone way beyond what it ever needed to be. But that is probably due to the huge amounts of money they have got to spend on promoting through adverts, tv specials, allotted time on sky sports news, articles on bbc etc. They are getting a lot of backlash from boxing fans and MMA fans who are washing their hands of it so I think a lot of the promotion is being aimed at the casual fans as opposed to the fans of each sport.

If it doesn't live up to the hype in terms of excitement then they will only receive even more backlash with everything they have done in the lead up to it. But I guess they both won't mind if they are pocketing $100million each. I completely agree with what you mentioned earlier in that they are probably friends and will hug and shake hands after the fight and have a lot of respect for each other etc.

Who knows, it might all be pr-determined already and might have everything and kitchen sink thrown in:lol:. Or it might be a multi round bore fest with neither wanting to swing and maybe make a mistake, who knows.

Again, didn't mean to offend anyone :beer2:. Each to their own I guess.

7 minutes ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

I'm not sure if your question is in response to my statement but I feel like I might have struck a chord so I'll try explain a bit further.

I wasn't taking a direct shot at you; I was just saying my piece on the criticism this fight seems to be generating.

Personally, I am not buying the event as I am not really interested in the outcome of the fight but I am curious in how the fight will play out technically. As a fan of MMA it will be interesting to me to see what will actually happen; early round KO for Mayweather like a lot are predicting? Will McGregor actually land any significant punches / surprise people with a competitive few rounds? If he does connect, will McGregor's punches do as much damage as they do in UFC? If it goes long who has the better stamina- the guy coming out of retirement or the guy used to fighting 5x 5minute rounds? Both striking, counter striking and defensive styles are interesting too. I'll most probably wait and see what happens before deciding if I'll watch it or not. Due to the above reasons I must have taken offense as being labelled an eejit for being interested in the fight so I apologies for jumping in and saying my piece as a direct response to you.

I am in complete agreement with what a lot of people have already said that the promotion and hype for this has gone way beyond what it ever needed to be. But that is probably due to the huge amounts of money they have got to spend on promoting through adverts, tv specials, allotted time on sky sports news, articles on bbc etc. They are getting a lot of backlash from boxing fans and MMA fans who are washing their hands of it so I think a lot of the promotion is being aimed at the casual fans as opposed to the fans of each sport.

If it doesn't live up to the hype in terms of excitement then they will only receive even more backlash with everything they have done in the lead up to it. But I guess they both won't mind if they are pocketing $100million each. I completely agree with what you mentioned earlier in that they are probably friends and will hug and shake hands after the fight and have a lot of respect for each other etc.

Who knows, it might all be pr-determined already and might have everything and kitchen sink thrown in:lol:. Or it might be a multi round bore fest with neither wanting to swing and maybe make a mistake, who knows.

Again, didn't mean to offend anyone :beer2:. Each to their own I guess.

I was only asking due to your spelling. :lol:

I noticed a few words spelt in American English. That was all.

Edited by Ormond

I'm going to buy it. As I want to watch it and see what happens.

McGregor is a top 10 MMA fighter. One of the 8 current champions, with a win over each of the 2 other FW champions that there has been.

Don't look at the shiny shiny, that's probably just there to get it sanctioned for 12.

Wait people think the fight will be choreographed? As opposed to an actual boxing match, regardless of competitiveness? Any evidence for this particular conspiracy theory? Excess tinfoil in the house making wee hats?

2 hours ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

:lol::lol::lol:

its a work thing- we r asked to use American English where we can. must be seeping into my normal life too

seriously - tell them to gtf - I've worked for american company 14 years and would never consider to not spell "properly"

I also want to see what happens but no way can I put money in Mayweather's pocket so will probably go for some dodgy feed that freezes at the crucial moments. Any idea what time the fights will start roughly? Is it stupid o'clock in the morning uk time?

it would put a smile on my face for a week if McGregor floored him let alone won. Cannot stand Mayweather and his boxing style. To get beat by a guy in his first boxing match would shit all over his very carefully constructed unbeaten record in a way that would be perfect. Please god let it happen...

Edited by thplinth