Scariest Film? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scariest Film?

Crossing over from the 2017 thread, what's the scariest film? Seen Event Horizon mentioned there but I didn't think it was all that bad.

Now Jennifer Jason Leigh in Single White Female... That was fkin scary! Gave me the right creeps. :ph34r:

However, by far the worst was The Ring. Never seen it all mind you. Lasted about 20 minutes before thinking "fk this for a laugh!" :lol: 

The Shining is probably the scariest for me too. I honeslty still feel uncomfortable staying in hotels with long corridors and busy carpets.   Also remember watching ' Don't Look Now ' many years ago and finding that pretty scary too. Might find it a bit old hat now though if I watched it again .

Rosemary%2527s+Baby+MiaFarrow.JPG42.jpg45.jpgrosemarys-baby-1968.jpg

The legendary curse of Rosemary’s baby is believed to be its creators' punishment for touching upon a subject that never should have been brought up. Whether there is a grain of truth in this belief or not, the facts are as follows:

• William Castle, the film's producer, received many death threats from people who claimed that by making the film he ‘brought evil on Earth’. He died of a stroke, aged just 63.
  • Roman Polański’s wife and some of his friends were gruesomely killed by Charles Manson's cult in one of the most brutal and inexplicable murders of the 20th century.
  • Mia Farrow got the divorce papers from Frank Sinatra on the set and it was her engagement in the film that struck the final blow in her marriage with the famous singer. Her life, despite a marvellous professional career, has been full of tragic happenings and deaths of her loved ones.
  • Robert Evans, the head of production at Paramount Pictures, was strongly involved in producing the film, has survived three strokes and was accused of murder. The accusation has almost ruined him his career. 
  • The scary Gothic Dakota building, which was used for outdoor shots of the building where the protagonists lived, has witnessed a murder by a fanatic. John Lennon was shot in the gate filmed in the opening scene.
  • Krzysztof Komeda slipped of a cliff in L.A. in mysterious circumstances. He fell into a coma and died a few months later, awaking only once, when Rosemary’s Lullaby was played to him.

Obviously, there is no way to decide whether we should blame all of the above on a satanic curse but William Castle himself believed that his life was changed by it and he acknowledged it in his auto-biography… But what if the film is a self-fulfilling prophecy? During a talk with a doctor that she believes will get her out of the trouble, Rosemary says:

"There are plots against people, aren’t they?"

As in the previous thread - Eden Lake. Scary because it is entirely plausible

The Shining - disturbo

Have to agree with The Ring too (surprisingly)

Paranormal Activity

The Thing

Halloween 1 and 2

The Omen

Nosferatu

and many more - Not The Exorcist though. Thought that was pish. Probably got myself into a state of fear before i watched it and was let down

There is also a rarely seen wee US TV Movie called The Watch starring Clea Duvall

For a low budget unrated TV film with no horror it actually gave me the shivers

Used to love scary films when I was younger but pretty much avoid them now as I get too feart.

think different films get you at different ages. Psycho scared the bejesus out of my when I was a kid.

As a teenager The Exorcist topped the list. Appreciate that to younger people watching it now some of the special effects seem very dated but back then it was feckin terrifying. 

I've always thought the Shining was just a great film but never found it massively scary.

of the more recent ones that I've been brave enough to watch, I agree that The Ring was pretty scary and I remember another one called The Strangers (I think) which had me looking under my bed.

Not so much scary, but a really creepy film was In Dreams with Aiden Quinn, Annette Benning and Robert Downey Jnr.

pretty much agree with a lot of the sentiment on here - I don't find gory horrors very scary but its the psychological ones that get me. agree with films like the ring, paranormal activity, and the shining is just a classic - terrified me when I was younger. Its the films where the horror of something suddenly dawns on the other characters that scares me - like in the shining when she finally goes and reads the pages of the novel he is supposed to be writing and its just pages of "all work and no play make jack a dull boy" and the realisation hits her that he has gone completely mad.

there was another film too I remember - when a stranger calls - I think, about a girl being haunted by phone calls from a stranger. think she is baby sitting but is locked safely in the house when the police call and say they have traced the calls and they are coming from inside the same house.

genius moments of aaaaargh!

Saw the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers way too early in life (was about 7) - literally checked under my bed and in cupboard before going to bed every night until about the age of 14.  Also did not like Poltergeist or Zombie Flesh Eaters in New York. Had a mate whose dad worked offshore and had heaps of videos - we spent a couple of school holidays watching a lot of stuff we weren't meant to......!!

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

When I was a kid Poltergeist scared the bejeesus out of me.  That and Stephen King's IT are responsible for my severe dislike of clowns even now as I approach my forties!

Clowns are a big one for inducing fear. My kids have always hated clowns. the recent killer clown craze had them sh*tting themselves, and they have never seen a clown horror movie.

19 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Clowns are a big one for inducing fear. My kids have always hated clowns. the recent killer clown craze had them sh*tting themselves, and they have never seen a clown horror movie.

Theres a good wee game for android called "Goosebumps - Night of Scares"

One of the best bits is where you dive to hide under a bed and Murder the Clown is lying there already

It's a short game but the graphics are good, it's free and hardly any ads

Image result for goosebumps night of scares clown under bed

Related image

Edited by Ally Bongo

The first half of IT was terrifying. I remember being about nine or ten, just finished watching it when the MCB downstairs light tripped out. Whilst my Old man was trying to reset the breaker my brother and his mate were at the front and back of the house banging the windows chanting "ITs at the window, IT's at the window.

Still scarred to this day.:mad: