Six Nations - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Six Nations

Tartan_Don

Scotland squad:

Forwards: Alex Allan, Zander Fagerson, Gordon Reid (all Glasgow Warriors), Simon Berghan, Allan Dell, Willem Nel (all Edinburgh Rugby), Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Ross Ford, Stuart McInally (both Edinburgh Rugby), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Toulouse), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby), John Barclay (Scarlets), Cornell Du Preez, John Hardie, Hamish Watson (all Edinburgh Rugby), Rob Harley, Josh Strauss, Ryan Wilson (all Glasgow Warriors)

Backs: Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester), Ali Price, Henry Pyrgos, Finn Russell (all Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Weir (Edinburgh Rugby), Mark Bennett, Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Huw Jones (Stormers), Matt Scott (Gloucester), Duncan Taylor (Saracens), Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Damien Hoyland (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Maitland (Saracens), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Harlequins)

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38657245

Strong squad but as always it will be oor mental belief that will be deciding factor 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame this is likely going to come too early for WP Nel and Hardie - two players i suspect that walk into the first 15.  However, probably the best Scotland squad i can remember in a long time.  There's actually some depth in key areas. Will be interesting to see who Cotter goes for.

1 minute ago, SMcoolJ said:

Shame this is likely going to come too early for WP Nel and Hardie - two players i suspect that walk into the first 15.  However, probably the best Scotland squad i can remember in a long time.  There's actually some depth in key areas. Will be interesting to see who Cotter goes for.

that's the big difference for me now. we seem to be able to make subs without seriously weakening the 15, which was not the case in the past. Just hope they play to their potential - got tickets for the wales game - looking forward to that.

Jim Telfer's annual pronouncement was fun

Scotland will beat wales

Scotland will beat France

Scotland will beat Ireland 

Lions will beat New Zealand 

Twickenham is full of arseholes

Eddie Jones is a .

Our opening game performance traditionally swings from utter pish to baw-crunchingly horrendous. 

Can't remember off the top of my head last time we won on the first week. 

Time for Scotland to step up to the plate on Saturday and show everyone that the long hoped for improvement is just that. 

On 31/01/2017 at 5:59 PM, Rossy said:

Our opening game performance traditionally swings from utter pish to baw-crunchingly horrendous. 

Can't remember off the top of my head last time we won on the first week. 

Time for Scotland to step up to the plate on Saturday and show everyone that the long hoped for improvement is just that. 

Got me thinking so I checked, last opening day win - 5th February 2006!

Scotland 20-16 France

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/international/4674072.stm

J

EDIT - Beat England and Italy that year as well! 

Think that was the last time I went to the "old" Lansdowne Road, in the open terracing in the pishing rain IIRC. Scotland lost.

Edited by Bristolhibby

A half day today, and then right into a busy weekend of sport and bevvy. Parkrun first thing tomorrow (that's the plan anyway) with friends over from Ireland, then as much of Hearts vs Motherwell on the TV as we can fit in, then Murrayfield. Also a great weekend when the Irish are in town and it's great the game is on the Saturday. Scotland look a bit stronger this season, but I'd take Ireland to win by about 10 points. They'll target us in the scrum, particularly later on if Cotter does the 60 minute sub thing; they'll have the ref in their back pocket as always; they know how to close out and win a game if it is tight at the end; and, most importantly, they are a very good team. All that said we are at home and hope springs eternal.

I hope that if the scrum is functioning, Cotter leaves it alone as long as possible. Also, if he does take off laidlaw for price to chase the game, he leaves Russell on alongside him. I like weir, but still feel Russell and Price are playing well together for Glasgow and will be able to move the Irish around more.

Anyway, it's shaping up to be a cracker - hope we do the biz!

Really, really hope we manage a decent campaign this year. Cotter has brought a breath of fresh air to the national team but it hasn't been rewarded in Six Nations so far. With it being his last campaign, hoping the players put everything in to it tomorrow and get the campaign off to a great start. Have to put everything in to tomorrow's game and set the bar and momentum for the rest of the games - lose and it'll be another average-to-pish Six Nations.

It's been said before that an awful lot has been placed on the shoulders of Laidlaw by this Scotland side. Goal kicker, captain, main 'on the field strategist.'  All on top of playing the pivotal role of scrum half. More than once in recent years we have been like a rudderless ship when he was taken off, and I can remember one game not that long ago when the ref, near the end, asked Scotland who was captain (re a scrum or kick decision or the like) and our players all looked at each other, none seeming quite sure what the answer was. More than most sports, leadership is still important in rugby. Because of this I think over the last year or so Laidlaw has played pretty much the whole game, remember him looking on bemused at the ref in the RWC at the end of the Australia game.

Knowing how to close out a game in the last few minutes, and win a game that can go either way, is a real skill. Ireland have people that can do that (usually with the refs help it must be said), I've lost count the number of Glasgow and Edinburgh games against an Irish side I've been at and seen them lose at the death. Witness the recent Glasgow Munster game. Cool heads were required to close that game out, and take the drop goal at the right time. They (Russell was at 10, Price at 9, Jonny Gray was captain, Strauss had gone off by the end I think) made an arse of it. At the top it's about fine margins. And Barclay should be starting.

Anyway, I'm not going to get any work done now, just pretending to and discussing the weekend ahead. Hopefull Scotland put in a big performance tomorrow and get the win.