The Last Man on the Moon - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Last Man on the Moon

Only four astronauts left who have walked on the Moon. I remember we all used to get taken into our school hall to watch broadcasts on the only (black & white) TV that the school owned. As a kid, I was convinced that I'd get there on holiday one time!

PS Kimba - thousands of Scotland fans are hitting Peru I believe sometime soon. Get one of them...any one of them...to take a photo of the Pole Star for me will you. Or maybe the Plough? That would be a piece of p1ss on a flat Earth. Otherwise, please show respect for those who want to acknowledge the death of a brave man & a hero in the childhoods of many of us of a *cough* certain age.

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

At these prices not many sales would be required...

http://www.alanbean.com/available_originals.cfm

:blink:

I have nothing but respect for his work in space, but I suspect if anyone but him had turned out those paintings, you'd be looking at shifting the decimal point a few places to the left.

23 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

PS Kimba - thousands of Scotland fans are hitting Peru I believe sometime soon. Get one of them...any one of them...to take a photo of the Pole Star for me will you. Or maybe the Plough? That would be a piece of p1ss on a flat Earth. Otherwise, please show respect for those who want to acknowledge the death of a brave man & a hero in the childhoods of many of us of a *cough* certain age.

Have to wonder how they manage it, what with all that spinning motion. 

31 minutes ago, Kimba said:

Have to wonder how they manage it, what with all that spinning motion. 

You might, I don't.

I look forward to seeing the photos anyway. All you need to do is find any TA member in Peru & ask them to look up. Go for it.

1 minute ago, Huddersfield said:

You might, I don't.

I look forward to seeing the photos anyway. All you need to do is find any TA member in Peru & ask them to look up. Go for it.

I look forward to seeing them too because it proves we are not on a spinning ball, otherwise they wouldn't be able to capture such photo's.

1 minute ago, Kimba said:

I look forward to seeing them too because it proves we are not on a spinning ball, otherwise they wouldn't be able to capture such photo's.

I already know you can't see the Plough from Lima. Nor the Pole Star. You need to prove you can. And then explain why you CAN see (for example) the Magellanic Clouds from Lima but can't see them here. You've got a golden opportunity to win your argument here - dozens, maybe hundreds of posters on here all heading to the Southern Hemisphere, most I imagine with cameras. Surely SOMEONE can get your photos?

I already know you can't see the Plough from Lima. Nor the Pole Star. You need to prove you can. And then explain why you CAN see (for example) the Magellanic Clouds from Lima but can't see them here. You've got a golden opportunity to win your argument here - dozens, maybe hundreds of posters on here all heading to the Southern Hemisphere, most I imagine with cameras. Surely SOMEONE can get your photos?

Sure, but if it's all spinning like scientism tells you, then how can they get any photo's at all ?   It's because Scientism is based on lies - mostly due because they want to get rid of God, and His solution for you (the gospel of grace).

Just now, Kimba said:

Sure, but if it's all spinning like scientism tells you, then how can they get any photo's at all ?   It's because Scientism is based on lies - mostly due because they want to get rid of God, and His solution for you (the gospel of grace).

1. Go somewhere dark

2. Get camera

3. Find The Plough

4. Press button on camera.

3 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

In other words - forget it, I know I can't do it. Oh, and maybe go back & look at the Flat Earth debate thread for how you prove the spin.

I don't rely on FE for my theology - it's not edifying. It does interest me, since I think souls can be saved by realizing they're being lied to.   Edification is through His word rightly divided. 

2 minutes ago, Kimba said:

I don't rely on FE for my theology - it's not edifying. It does interest me, since I think souls can be saved by realizing they're being lied to.   Edification is through His word rightly divided. 

In other words (again) - I know I'm up a creek without a paddle on this one.

In other words (again) - I know I'm up a creek without a paddle on this one.

No my dear, you can be saved by realizing the gospel of GRACE.  That's the truth of this world.  I pray you receive the free gift today, no strings attached in this dispensation - a FREE GIFT when you believe the gospel of GRACE 1 Corinthians 15:3-4  BELIEVE.  Grace to you. xx

Going back to the point, this is brilliant footage of the Apollo XII landing. Apollo XI had a certain amount of trouble landing & ended up a fair distance from the planned landing site & seconds away from running out of fuel. NASA wanted much greater precision & this shows how quickly they could learn & find solutions to complex problems. But more than anything, at such a critical, life-threatening moment, I love the way Conrad & Bean sound like excited little boys when they spot the landing site.

Did anyone see Apollo 18?

Saw it again recently. Not bad, how scary you can make something, when so little happens, it's just the fear of something out there...

I imagine if you were a new generation astronaut you'd always be wondering if there'd be something chilling over in the next hollow.... 

Edited by exile

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Great footage. Apollo 12 is a favourite mission of mine, I was born during it :) 

:ok: There's not much good about being nearer 60 than 50, but being able to remember the Apollo space program as it happened is a definite plus. I don't think I recall the deaths of Grissom, White and Chaffee, but at some point between then and the launch of Apollo 8 I had become gripped, and my long-term memory had started to function properly.

The Airfix stuff was great too. I couldn't afford the Saturn V, but my neighbour had it, and I had the lunar module. Shitely put together, but still a thing of strange beauty.

Edited by DonnyTJS

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Great footage. Apollo 12 is a favourite mission of mine, I was born during it :) 

Likewise, I've always had a bit of a special interest. XI happened just before I started school & I can't really say I remember much if anything about it but XII was just after I started (& I'd turned 5 so maybe like Donny some bit of my memory had kicked in). I vividly remember the whole school watching TV programmes about it, drawing pictures & so on. There's no doubt that mission is what sparked my life-long interest in all things space-related.

4 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

:ok: There's not much good about being nearer 60 than 50, but being able to remember the Apollo space program as it happened is a definite plus. I don't think I recall the deaths of Grissom, White and Chaffee, but at some point between then and the launch of Apollo 8 I had become gripped, and my long-term memory had started to function properly.

The Airfix stuff was great too. I couldn't afford the Saturn V, but my neighbour had it, and I had the lunar module. Shitely put together, but still a thing of strange beauty.

I had this really weird toy rocket that was a bad copy of the Saturn V. You wound it up somehow & these flaps would drop down (nothing like the real one) & a funny sort of copy of the lunar module was inside. It was one of my favourite toys for years!

Yes I am quite envious of you guys getting to experience it happening.  I have vague hazy memories of my dad showing me men walking on the moon on TV, probably Apollo 17 when I was 3.

The first mission I really remember was Apollo - Soyuz in 1975. James Burke clambering about life sized mock ups of the capsules in the studio, had me hooked for life :) 

july-1975-james-burke-television-popular

Edited by Toepoke

14 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yes I am quite envious of you guys getting to experience it happening.  I have vague hazy memories of my dad showing me men walking on the moon on TV, probably Apollo 17 when I was 3.

The first mission I really remember was Apollo - Soyuz in 1975. James Burke clambering about life sized mock ups of the capsules in the studio, had me hooked for life :) 

july-1975-james-burke-television-popular

It seems like an awful long time ago now - like I said above, the teachers were telling us at the time that when we grew up we'd be able to go on holiday to the Moon & see where they landed. She never mentioned I'd have to pay Richard Branson a few million quid just to get 100 miles closer.

I used to love James Burke, Tomorrow's World & all that - technology seemed exciting to me as a kid. It just scares the crap out of me now :D

19 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

It seems like an awful long time ago now - like I said above, the teachers were telling us at the time that when we grew up we'd be able to go on holiday to the Moon & see where they landed. She never mentioned I'd have to pay Richard Branson a few million quid just to get 100 miles closer.

I used to love James Burke, Tomorrow's World & all that - technology seemed exciting to me as a kid. It just scares the crap out of me now :D

Agree with all of that. One of the many good things about Osaka is that the 1970 World Expo was held a couple of miles from where I stay. Expo's actually meant something back then when the future seemed boundless (barring nuclear holocaust). Plenty survives today (including this) and the monorail that was built as part of the infrastructure. Every time I ride it I get daftly excited - it's like entering the future fifty years ago, if that makes sense.

Back in '69, I was woken up to watch Armstrong and Aldrin take the first steps on the moon (must've been fairly late BST). My most vivid memory is of staring at my dad's back as he completely obscured the TV taking photos of the screen.