The Last Man on the Moon - Page 17 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Last Man on the Moon

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

Agree with all of that. One of the many good things about Osaka is that the 1970 World Expo was held a couple of miles from where I stay. Expo's actually meant something back then when the future seemed boundless (barring nuclear holocaust). Plenty survives today (including this) and the monorail that was built as part of the infrastructure. Every time I ride it I get daftly excited - it's like entering the future fifty years ago, if that makes sense.

Back in '69, I was woken up to watch Armstrong and Aldrin take the first steps on the moon (must've been fairly late BST). My most vivid memory is of staring at my dad's back as he completely obscured the TV taking photos of the screen.

You must have been sent to your bed early? It was just after nine BST.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You must have been sent to your bed early? It was just after nine BST.

That made me check. Nope, you're on about the landing (which I was allowed to stay up for …). Armstrong didn't leave the module until six hours later.

14 minutes ago, DonnyTJS said:

That made me check. Nope, you're on about the landing (which I was allowed to stay up for …). Armstrong didn't leave the module until six hours later.

Oh aye, right enough. I forgotten about that. In my memory the giant leap happened not long after the landing. Obviously not.

One thing I remember is the radio silence as they went round the back of the moon. Then the anxious wait near the end, waiting for them to come back on air again to see if they were still alive. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Oh aye, right enough. I forgotten about that. In my memory the giant leap happened not long after the landing. Obviously not.

One thing I remember is the radio silence as they went round the back of the moon. Then the anxious wait near the end, waiting for them to come back on air again to see if they were still alive. 

Yup, same with re-entering the earth's atmosphere. Long radio blackout at probably the most dangerous part of the mission (along with lift-off, I guess). Nail-biting stuff.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

On 5/29/2018 at 5:07 AM, Orraloon said:

On 5/29/2018 at 5:10 AM, DonnyTJS said:

Yup, same with re-entering the earth's atmosphere. Long radio blackout at probably the most dangerous part of the mission (along with lift-off, I guess). Nail-biting stuff.

Yeah, I was in bits. :rolleyes:

----------------------------

You know how we can see the moon from earth?

Well, it should be just as easy (easier) to see the earth from the moon, right?

You know when they were taking photos on the moon?

Why didn't they take photos with the earth in the background?

You know when they were playing golf on the moon?

Why didn't they get a video shot of them with the earth in the background?

You know when they were riding around in that moon buggy?

Why didn't they get a video shot with earth in the background?

Hmm...

18 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Yeah, I was in bits. :rolleyes:

----------------------------

You know how we can see the moon from earth?

Well, it should be just as easy (easier) to see the earth from the moon, right?

You know when they were taking photos on the moon?

Why didn't they take photos with the earth in the background?

You know when they were playing golf on the moon?

Why didn't they get a video shot of them with the earth in the background?

You know when they were riding around in that moon buggy?

Why didn't they get a video shot with earth in the background?

Hmm...

I'm not going to do your homework for you here, not least because you'll call fake whatever I show you, but there are many, many photos in the NASA library which show Earth from on, or in the vicinity of the Moon.

If this is a genuine question rather than a rhetorical bit of trolling, then what you need to know is that the majority of Moon landings were in the equatorial region. This was for various reasons; the need for clear light, minimal shadow, etc. As a result, Earth was generally very high in the sky rather than sat there in the background. The cameras were also hyper-sensitive to bright light & were extremely delicately calibrated for the images they actually wanted (which were for science, not their annual calendar). Indeed, Alan Bean, the subject of this part of the thread, famously burned out a highly expensive bit of photographic kit by accidentally flashing it across the Sun while moving it - a split second that was all.

Anyway, here's one for you to look at (from the NASA library, Gene Cernan in 1972), which if nothing else shows your assertion to be false. I doubt I could show you anything you wouldn't brand as fake though, thus rendering the question(s) likely pointless.

as17-134-20387.jpg

13 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

The earth is supposed to be 4 times bigger than the moon, right?

So, just how big is the thing he's standing on supposed to be?

(You genuinely seriously believe that image to be real?)

There should be a cracking full moon tonight Scotty. Try taking a photo of someone with the moon in the background and see what it looks like.

On 3/8/2017 at 11:04 PM, DonnyTJS said:

Found this which, if you can get over the sloppy use of gravity-related terminology, explains how it was done.

I heard an astronaut describe what it's like in space. He said a lot of convincing little details, or a sort of perspective, that would make sense if you'd been there.

For example, weightlessness, it's not the absence of gravity; it's pure gravity - only gravity acting on you, not the Earth's surface pushing up.  Also purely simply the beauty of the Earth from space.

Also the bits the films (Martian, Gravity) got right or wrong. Like the potatos (I think the implication was, they wouldn't be carrying fresh raw live potatos - though everyone may want them now, who knows??)

And he also drew attention to the lonliness of the blackness of space, especially for those guys on the lunar surface who went furthest from the craft, so they could no longer see the craft, or the Earth presumably. Like the loneliest prospect a human ever saw, of just the lunar surface and the black sky and nothing else.

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

The earth is supposed to be 4 times bigger than the moon, right?

So, just how big is the thing he's standing on supposed to be?

(You genuinely seriously believe that image to be real?)

What you are doing is mistaking the contours of a hill for the curvature of the moon. Which is not surprising as you are not too bright when it comes to sciency stuff.

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

Plenty of video footage exists from the missions, primarily from onboard the CSM, which picks up Earth, but you ain't going to believe it so why ask?

I'm asking because if you know of any videos that show the astronauts and the earth at the same time I'd look them up.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

There should be a cracking full moon tonight Scotty. Try taking a photo of someone with the moon in the background and see what it looks like.

I could try that.

1 hour ago, exile said:

Have we had this?

I hadn't seen it.

That was good.

Full of holes, like (but good).

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

BuzzAldrin punches Bart Sibrel...

I don't see the problem with swearing on the Bible that something you did was true.

Think of all the good (food banks, etc.) you could do from making five thousand dollars for 15 seconds of effortless 'work'.

1 hour ago, Eisegerwind said:

What you are doing is mistaking the contours of a hill for the curvature of the moon. 

Neither the ratio or the curvature make sense.

26 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm asking because if you know of any videos that show the astronauts and the earth at the same time I'd look them up.

I answered you - Google it, NASA library, but like I said you're only going to dismiss it so I won't waste either of out time!

27 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Neither the ratio or the curvature make sense.

Can you explain why not (there is no curvature visible on the lunar part of the photo - it's a hill as explained)? Which ratio? Of what to what? What measurements have you used to conclude that?

I love seeing all this moon stuff. Read a couple of books on the 12 men who went. Sad to see them start to die off. To think that humankind has looked up to that object in the sky for hundreds of thousands of years and then these guys had the opportunity to walk on the surface. What an experience! Mankind's greatest achievement and a signifier of our potential.

Would be great to get back on topic. Can Huddersfield et al continue posting their memories and sharing the images they find and stop wasting the thread arguing with crazy folk? 😃 I was just too young to experience the excitement of watching the missions at the time.

Great stuff.

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I was admiring it last night, but I can't see it tonight.

4 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I answered you - Google it, NASA library...

I don't believe it exists.

(Have you seen it?)

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Can you explain why not (there is no curvature visible on the lunar part of the photo - it's a hill as explained)? Which ratio? Of what to what? What measurements have you used to conclude that?

That's some hill.

Could you take a photo like that on earth?