2017 movie thread - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

Watched 'Contratiempo' on Netflix recently. Or the invisible guest to give it it's English title. 

Really good Spanish thriller about a guy accused of murder. I think that because I had to constantly pay attention to the subtitles so I knew what was going on added to the tension :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Watched 'Contratiempo' on Netflix recently. Or the invisible guest to give it it's English title. 

Really good Spanish thriller about a guy accused of murder. I think that because I had to constantly pay attention to the subtitles so I knew what was going on added to the tension :lol: 

Noted.

There's a huge library of superb non-English speaking drama out there.

If you're into KODI, look for "Noir TV" add-on. Lots of great Scandi-noir stuff there.

Highlights so far for me are John Wick 2 and the new Pirates of the Carribean. Looking forward to Dunkirk.

Extremely disappointed in Alien Covenant. Massive fan of the franchise but think this tried to be too fancy, offered nothing original and had the most obvious twist in cinema history at the end. Maybe just need to give it another go but mightily unimpressed first time.  

34 minutes ago, tartandon said:

I'm off to see that tomorrow. It can't be as bad a Baby Driver which I saw at the weekend. It was utter garbage

Stay home. Watch this: 

And then listen to All Eyez On Me and Me Against the world albums. 

You'll have a far better evening. 

• 2 weeks later...

War for the Planet of the Apes is brilliant. Great three movies. Guessing there will be more.

If you can't find anything else try 12 Feet Deep. Not brilliant, could have been better, but watchable.

Going a bit deeper tonight with 47 Meters Down.

Guest flumax

Absolutely loved baby driver. Smashing film. Really want to try and catch it in the cinema again. 

Wonder women. Meh. Solidly average superhero film. Forgotten most of it already. 

A little harsh on Wonder Woman which wasn't half bad for a superhero flick.  I love the Planet of the Apes films but this last one was disappointingly action-packed for me and too reliant on classic movie tropes.  Still worth seeing, but.  My fave this year thus far was Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but, as a small boat sailor, I'm really looking forward to Dunkirk.

On 17/07/2017 at 8:12 AM, flumax said:

Absolutely loved baby driver. Smashing film. Really want to try and catch it in the cinema again. 

Wonder women. Meh. Solidly average superhero film. Forgotten most of it already. 

Watched Wonder Woman on Sunday, think I'm getting too old for superhero films.

On 16/07/2017 at 10:43 PM, biffer said:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is now available on Netflix. It's brilliant.

I wanted to like this film, was recommended by my daughter and has Sam Neill in it ?, but I found it very average. Had a couple of funny bits in it but I wasnt hugely impressed. Seems to get a lot of good reviews so I think it must be me !

2 hours ago, tartandon said:

I went to see Dunkirk today. Get yourself down to the cinema to see this. This is going to get 7 or 8 Oscar nominations

Should be ashamed of yersel

https://grousebeater.wordpress.com/2017/07/22/dunkirk-a-review/