2017 movie thread - Page 11 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2017 movie thread

15 hours ago, tartandon said:

If you like US sport films, you should check out the 30 for 30 documentaries that ESPN make

There's also a 30 for 30 podcast series now, if you're that way inclined. 

On 8/8/2017 at 11:04 PM, tartandon said:

If you like US sport films, you should check out the 30 for 30 documentaries that ESPN make

On 8/3/2017 at 1:47 AM, Stapes said:

Yep, 42 is excellent. US sports films is a place to find really good films that don't get any promotion over here. Kevin Costner also had a really good one out recently. Will post a list of some of the best ones.

"42" is one of the best films I've ever seen imo

Started watching the "30 for 30" series on BT Sports recently - Find it a bit hit and miss but been good few I've really liked

Whatever you do, don't go and see A Ghost Story. It's a steamy turd of a film. Casey Affleck wearing a sheet, being a ghost for 90 minutes. Over 80% of the film is silent with no dialogue and there's even a 5-minute single shot scene of Rooney Mara sitting on the floor eating a pie.

Avoid this pile of pish at all costs

4 minutes ago, tartandon said:

Whatever you do, don't go and see A Ghost Story. It's a steamy turd of a film. Casey Affleck wearing a sheet, being a ghost for 90 minutes. Over 80% of the film is silent with no dialogue and there's even a 5-minute single shot scene of Rooney Mara sitting on the floor eating a pie.

Who's pie is She eating though? :wub:

Guest flumax

Watched atomic blonde and big sick this week. Both alright. Some elements make them worth seeing. 

Liked the fashion and music elements of atomic blonde, not quite sure I got the ending. 

Big sick couple of laugh out loud moments but vanilla in most bits. 

Out the two atomic blonde just edges it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to see IT last night.  I've been a bit freaked out by clowns since I was a nipper and the Tim Curry version of Pennywise scared the bejeezus out of me when I was a lad so it was a challenge to get to the cinema last night!!

Quite enjoyed the film although I wouldn't say it was particularly scary.  Bill Skarsgard is quite good and quite creepy as Pennywise and a very different performance from Curry's but it didn't really get under my skin the way I expected it to.  Relies more in jump scares than being creepy scary and messing with your head which is what I prefer from a horror.  That said it was still enjoyable but more in an Amblin/kids coming of age style.  All the kids who make up the main cast are really good and there's actually some pretty funny one liners in it.  

Definitely worth a watch but don't going in expecting to be terrified.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, Ormond said:

Watched 1922 the other night. A Stephen King special done by Netflix. Pretty good considering the camera very rarely leaves the guy’s house. :ok:

Saw this a while back and it left me wanting just a little bit more in order for it to be a film that I'd say was one of my favourites of the year. Like a lot of Netflix stuff it had a small cast and was really well acted. Another one which is similar in that sense, and iirc a Stephen King adaptation too, is Gerald's Game.

Couple to watch out for, which I read recently and were excellent books, are The Boys in the Boat, and Devil in the White City. Believe they're both being made into films.

43 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I haven't no. I heard it lost its direction but I obviously can't say.

I watched it twice, few months apart, couldn’t get my head around it first time but sort of liked it second time round.  I watched it on my own 2nd time and without a constant “wtf is this sheite.” I saw something different in it. I wouldn’t go out my way to see it again but I know if I ever see it on tv I’ll end up watching it again. 

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

I watched it twice, few months apart, couldn’t get my head around it first time but sort of liked it second time round.  I watched it on my own 2nd time and without a constant “wtf is this sheite.” I saw something different in it. I wouldn’t go out my way to see it again but I know if I ever see it on tv I’ll end up watching it again. 

The only real negative I felt watching The Killing of a Sacred Deer was that the characters were generally all not likeable. But then again maybe that helped the overall effect! I think I was the only one laughing though :huh::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

John Travolta's new movie "Gotti" has been dropped by the studio 10 days before it's release

I expect more sexual assault allegations to be forthcoming

Surprised his Scientology buddies havent stepped in to smother them