48 teams at World Cup from 2026 onwards - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

48 teams at World Cup from 2026 onwards

Davied14

Part of me likes the idea of this, as Iceland and Wales showed at the Euros just what a smaller/weaker/outside team can do when given a route to the finals, but ultimately this is not about improving the World Cup, but just getting more $$$ by opening a smoother route for the likes of China, India, Canada and Egypt to qualify and FIFA to lap it up in TV revenue by having these large tv audiences at the WC finals.

Edited by wanderer

All about the $$$. 

Wonder if they will change qualifying in UEFA at all by the time this comes around.

Extra 3 spaces in the current format would probably mean

9 group winners

4 best 2nd places teams

Remaining 5 2nd place teams and best 3rd team in play offs for the final 3 spaces. 

1 hour ago, Davied14 said:

With 3 team groups where drawn matches proceed to penalty shootouts....

i don't think the penalties part has been decided yet, imagine how awful that would be, like something out of american sports. you would get so many teams (us included if hell freezes over and we qualify) playing for a draw and taking the chance of penalties 

"and its grant hanley junior to step up for scotland!" 

Edited by LewisEDI

10 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

i don't think the penalties part has been decided yet, imagine how awful that would be, like something out of american sports. you would get so many teams (us included if hell freezes over and we qualify) playing for a draw and taking the chance of penalties 

Aye its goosed. Teams will be playing for a draw or a narrow defeat for one if it suits both to go through without the pen format.

With the pen format teams will be playing for a draw hoping a win on pens will get them 3 points.

Sounds a shambles. On a plus side we will only need to endure England for 2 games now.

Edited by Mazziessc

6 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

At least we might finally get to experience penalties!

I think having a shootout after a draw in the groups is probably to stop teams settling for a draw in the last group game.

That said you could still get a scenario like this,  (in our group of course)...

Brazil 3 Scotland 0

Scotland 1 Mongolia 0

Mongolia 2 Brazil 0 (both teams carve up the result, Brazil still win the group and we find a new way to get eliminated).

52 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think having a shootout after a draw in the groups is probably to stop teams settling for a draw in the last group game.

That said you could still get a scenario like this,  (in our group of course)...

Brazil 3 Scotland 0

Scotland 1 Mongolia 0

Mongolia 2 Brazil 0 (both teams carve up the result, Brazil still win the group and we find a new way to get eliminated).

I'm not against expansion, but the point you made about collusion does concern me. I know that it can still happen now (think Sweden and Denmark in Euro 2004), but it's probably less likely to happen.

I agree with you about the penalties too. In a three group scenario (with two teams advancing), I think you need to have penalties so that there is always a winner. Otherwise, imagine your scenario again but make the middle game a 1-1 draw. Brazil (having already beaten Scotland 3-0) would then be in the position of effectively being able to decide which other team went through with them. They could easily beat Mongolia 4-0 or more to take Scotland through. Or they could settle for a 2-0 win and that would take Mongolia through at Scotland's expense. Imagine how annoyed you'd be as a Scotland fan if Brazil went 2-0 up against Mongolia after 10 minutes and then did naff all for the remaining 80, thereby knocking Scotland out.

When it expanded to 24 teams for Spain 1982 the tournament was enhanced without a doubt 

Probably the greatest tournament of them all

Italia 90 was the last memorable finals

Going to the USA in 1994 was a disaster and expanding to 32 for France 98 was the final deathnell

The novelty of teams like Cameroon, South Korea, Australia, USA, Senegal, Ghana et al soon wears off and it's now a glut of poor poor sides 

This will make it even poorer  

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

When it expanded to 24 teams for Spain 1982 the tournament was enhanced without a doubt 

Going to the USA in 1994 was a disaster and expanding to 32 for France 98 was the final deathnell

The novelty of teams like Cameroon, South Korea, Australia, USA, Senegal, Ghana et al soon wears off and it's now a glut of poor poor sides 

USA was a tremendous tournament, loads of great games ( although the final was truly terrible) with guys like hagi, stoichkov, batistuta and baggio in their prime and actually delivering at an international tournament. I love having teams like Ghana and Senegal at world cups and feel the world cup is far better for having them. It shouldn't be an elite affair for Europe and Brazil and Argentina . The current 32 team setup is perfect in my opinion with a natural elimination process from 32 down to the final.

17 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Brazil 3 Scotland 0

Scotland 1 Mongolia 0

Excuse my ignorance but where would the h2h come into this? Would we be back to the old fashioned way of GD followed by GS, GC then h2h? 

6 hours ago, Mazziessc said:

Excuse my ignorance but where would the h2h come into this? Would we be back to the old fashioned way of GD followed by GS, GC then h2h? 

Assuming penalties will mean all games have a winner, head to head would never apply as the only chance to use it would be when all 3 teams are tied on 1 win each.

On 11/01/2017 at 7:23 AM, Paulo2576 said:

USA was a tremendous tournament, loads of great games ( although the final was truly terrible) with guys like hagi, stoichkov, batistuta and baggio in their prime and actually delivering at an international tournament.

Back when it was an honor to play for your country and not an inconvenient chore outside your club games.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, Ally Bongo said:

And we still won't be good enough to make it