Likely Pre-Slovenia Friendly - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Likely Pre-Slovenia Friendly

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, wanderer said:

There is actually not all that many games announced for March yet....a lot of nations seem to be playing friendlies the night we play Slovenia, but there is only 6 or 7 games announced for the free week set aside before that (Russia v Belgium, Germany v England, Czech Republic v Lithuania and San Marino v Moldova etc)

There are no friendly games on the night we play Slovenia. It seems to be an unwritten rule that they don't play on the days of the WCQs (so in March there will be no friendlies on Friday, Saturday or Sunday involving UEFA teams).  The only exception was when France played their games against the teams in the small group. 

UEFA wouldn't want a potential high profile friendly to over shadow a qualifier. 

We will most likely play on the Wednesday (England and Lithuania from our group have games on that day). 

There are only 10 friendly matches confirmed in March with Cyprus v Kazakhstan being the latest today. Moldova have 2 games confirmed so will play 3 games in the international break.

Iceland, Finland, Sweden, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia, Moldova, Georgia, Armenia, San Marino, Andorra & Serbia all have friendly games planned in January & February. 

Iceland and Croatia are playing in the China Cup alongside the hosts and Chile. Iceland are also playing Mexico in the USA next month. 

Most of these countries have a winter break so will call up home based players (and others who are also on a winter break). It is a great chance for managers to look at other players and get their squad together again.  As it is outside the official international match days the clubs don't have to release their players but as they are mostly home based it doesn't tend to be a problem. 

7 hours ago, tartanpar said:

There are no friendly games on the night we play Slovenia. It seems to be an unwritten rule that they don't play on the days of the WCQs (so in March there will be no friendlies on Friday, Saturday or Sunday involving UEFA teams).  The only exception was when France played their games against the teams in the small group. 

UEFA wouldn't want a potential high profile friendly to over shadow a qualifier. 

Sorry, got my dates mixed up, its the Tuesday night after our game v Slovenia that there is a load of friendlies (interestingly, a fair number of high profile ones.... Netherlands - Italy and France - Spain)

8 hours ago, tartanpar said:

Most of these countries have a winter break so will call up home based players (and others who are also on a winter break). It is a great chance for managers to look at other players and get their squad together again.  As it is outside the official international match days the clubs don't have to release their players but as they are mostly home based it doesn't tend to be a problem. 

I wouldn't be adverse to trying out something similar for the SPFL if I am honest.

2 hours ago, Debian said:

I wouldn't be adverse to trying out something similar for the SPFL if I am honest.

Aye would be fantastic I reckon. Gives all these SPFL players that are not being picked a chance to show what they can do. They might turn out to be brutal but at least it would end the debate.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, Donaldo87 said:

Not sure if its been said elsewhere but this just scunners me even more than normal when I think about our squad and who he picks.

Yes it's him all over.

Pick the ones who are playing (Plenty at a good level, barring defenders)

He's an awful manager.

Edited by ProudScot

49 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Aye would be fantastic I reckon. Gives all these SPFL players that are not being picked a chance to show what they can do. They might turn out to be brutal but at least it would end the debate.

I have always thought that it would be a good idea, but as these type of games fall outside FIFA windows for games, clubs are not at liberty to release players and the national team is relying on the good will of the clubs to release players.

Here in Scotland that is where the buffers are hit straight away, as Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen are all heading out to the sun/have high profile friendlies arranged etc..... so really end of the day a Scotland squad would have to be filled up with players from the likes of Partick Thistle, Motherwell and Dundee..... not exactly a bad thing, but end of the day players who when normal service resumes would be nowhere near within a shout of the national team...... Just look at the attitude towards B games, at least Vogts tried to tart them up a little bit with the Futures Cup, but ultimately they proved to offer nothing much.

Edited by wanderer

I think it would be a great idea too. However, he would nee to get the buy in from all the SPFL clubs long before it was arranged. 

1 week camp in say Dubai or Abu Dhabi at the start of January with 1 or 2 games. Always loads of teams looking to play in that part of the world in January. 

Edited by tartanpar

15 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

"We'll probably play a friendly before it, because at the moment we have a lot of players not getting a regular game." 

There's a statement to fill you with confidence.

Can't wait to see a low tempo friendly against sub standard opposition (Who will match us on the day, possibly even beat us) with lacking match practice stars such as Anya, Hanley, Morrison and Chris Martin featuring.

On 10/01/2017 at 1:29 PM, LewisEDI said:

exactly, nothing to gain from playing away from home, has to be hampden. wouldnt be suprised if its norway or finland  

I disagree. Think the experience of playing in a full, smaller stadium is better than a quarter full and quiet Hampden for games like these. Take it around the country - Perth a good option and fill a 10,000 seater. Creates a bit of atmosphere hopefully and demand for tickets.

2 hours ago, jcluk said:

I disagree. Think the experience of playing in a full, smaller stadium is better than a quarter full and quiet Hampden for games like these. Take it around the country - Perth a good option and fill a 10,000 seater. Creates a bit of atmosphere hopefully and demand for tickets.

im no fan of hampden and usually i would agree with you but with the next match being crucial i would say get them playing at hampden before it 

17 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Can't wait to see a low tempo friendly against sub standard opposition (Who will match us on the day, possibly even beat us) with lacking match practice stars such as Anya, Hanley, Morrison and Chris Martin featuring.

i thought exactly the same when i read that, we should be fielding our strongest team with players in form not has been duffers that have done nothing for years 

4 hours ago, jcluk said:

The only option worse than Perth would be Hamilton. Please, no.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, LewisEDI said:

i thought exactly the same when i read that, we should be fielding our strongest team with players in form not has been duffers that have done nothing for years 

Definitely.

If we must pick players not getting a regular game then pick young ones who could help us in the next campaign.