Tennis 2017 - Page 19 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2017

min

3 minutes ago, bonzo said:

So do they keep the giant guys with the big serves on opposite sides of the draw. That would have been some final. 

No the draws are not done that way. No point in doing it that way either as both Anderson and Isner in any case were not fancied to get to the semis. Anderson beat Federer which was a massive shock and Isner was not expected to beat another big server in Milos Raonic in the previous round.

• 3 weeks later...

Another step taken along Andy's long comeback trail late yesterday evening. Murray beat Kyle Edmund in three gruelling sets to reach the Third Round in Washington at the ATP500 tournament. Following on from his win over McDonald (USA) in the previous round it is his first back-to-back wins since Wimbledon 2017 and and his exploits in Washington has already seen his ranking climb from 836 to 511. Next up later today is a match against Marius Copil of Romania for a place in the quarter-final. The rust is still there and needs to improve his court speed but his stamina is in good shape and je certainly hasn't lost any desire or burning passion to win. Onwards and upwards.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Andy knocked out by Verdasco in round 2 at the US Open.  A very tough test right enough, but it shows the challenge he's got to get back near the top again.

It was always going to take a heck of a lot of time. Djokovic took long enough to return to the top and took painful losses as has Stan Wawrinka. Rafael Nadal also took many months before he was in shape to challenge for tournaments again. I was always fully expecting the rest of this season to be about shaking off the rust, rediscovering fitness and rhythm and building confidence in his form and his hip. It is a measure of Andy that Verdasco was bouncing around the court celebrating as if he had won the tournament having beaten a still rusty Andy in four sets.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Appreciate Serena doesn't have much experience of losing but she is certainly one bad loser.

I’ve been reading what she said to the umpire. She comes across like a spoilt child completely out of touch with reality. 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Well the women’s US open from final was.......erm entertaining. Toys out of the pram from serena 

She’s really unlikeable 

Fair enough to disagree with the umpire but calling it sexist is just ridiculous.

”I’m fighting for women”

:lol:

41 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

She’s really unlikeable 

Fair enough to disagree with the umpire but calling it sexist is just ridiculous.

”I’m fighting for women”

:lol:

The bigger idiot billie jean king has weighed in as usual 

16 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The irony is that Osaka was booed when she won her first grand slam and lost the bulk of the media  attention because of Williams antics. 

Williams ruined Osaka’s night, the idiot American crowd bought into Williams melt down and it’s finished with Osaka crying because she was booed.

williams comment “I don’t cheat, I have a daughter” was laughable. Every punishment she received was totally justified. She deserves all the criticism coming her way. 

Totally agree with you Paris and vanderark.

Nauseating enough was Serena's outburst but the fact that the thoroughly innocent debutant slam winner Osaka gets booed for something her adored and lauded beaten opponent was guilty of is way past pathetic.

The social media standing up for Serena is also nauseating and her claims of sexism is utter and complete tosh. Ramos has docked points and games from Djokovic and Nadal who are both men - blown out Serena. And how is the umpire a thief? He docked her a game for persistent bad behaviour and umpire abuse and listening to her rant that was fair enough so Serena is blown out again. Quite sickly listening to the fans cheering her on.

I wonder how she feels now. She has won a record amount of slams in her career which she got full attention and adoration for but her selfish actions here has robbed Osaka of those feelings that should come with a slam win purely because she wanted to act like a brat. Pathetic.

The men's final was won by Novak Djokovic beating Juan Martin Del Potro in straight sets 6-3 7-6 6-3. The second set was key here as Del Potro was playing cracking stuff and he narrowly lost it. That the nail in his coffin. If he had won that marathon set he would have been right back in the match. That is now 14 slam titles for Djokovic putting him level with Pete Sampras. Great achievement and just demonstrates what Andy Murray has been up against in this era. Federer most slam wins in man's history, Nadal second on that list and Djokovic third.

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Totally agree with you Paris and vanderark.

Nauseating enough was Serena's outburst but the fact that the thoroughly innocent debutant slam winner Osaka gets booed for something her adored and lauded beaten opponent was guilty of is way past pathetic.

The social media standing up for Serena is also nauseating and her claims of sexism is utter and complete tosh. Ramos has docked points and games from Djokovic and Nadal who are both men - blown out Serena. And how is the umpire a thief? He docked her a game for persistent bad behaviour and umpire abuse and listening to her rant that was fair enough so Serena is blown out again. Quite sickly listening to the fans cheering her on.

I wonder how she feels now. She has won a record amount of slams in her career which she got full attention and adoration for but her selfish actions here has robbed Osaka of those feelings that should come with a slam win purely because she wanted to act like a brat. Pathetic.

The men's final was won by Novak Djokovic beating Juan Martin Del Potro in straight sets 6-3 7-6 6-3. The second set was key here as Del Potro was playing cracking stuff and he narrowly lost it. That the nail in his coffin. If he had won that marathon set he would have been right back in the match. That is now 14 slam titles for Djokovic putting him level with Pete Sampras. Great achievement and just demonstrates what Andy Murray has been up against in this era. Federer most slam wins in man's history, Nadal second on that list and Djokovic third.

Given Djoko's form over the last fortnight, i don't think it's inconceivable that he could make a run at Federer's total of slams. 

Serena's coach admitting he was coaching on national TV made it even more of a spectacle.

Most child stars become entitled brats.

Osaka day ruled cause a child couldn't handle reality. Least she never fled to her panic room like she did when the drug testers came.

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray began the long uphill road back to the top in tennis overnight. In the First Round of the Brisbane International he beat James Duckworth 6-3 6-4 in just under 90 minutes to progress through to play No 4 seed Daniil Medvedev in the Second Round. 

Just watched him lose to Medvedev.  Sad to say that I think it’s game over for Andy.  He looks in constant pain and struggling to walk.  

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Just watched him lose to Medvedev.  Sad to say that I think it’s game over for Andy.  He looks in constant pain and struggling to walk.  

It is sad to watch. His recent interviews are telling - he knows himself it’s probably all over.

29 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Most likely this will be his last year. As you say it is sad to see him reduced to this but it is a result of the aggressive way he has pushed himself physically and the physical way he played the game. 

He always looked to grind a player down out-manoeuveuring them in long rallies. He did have potential to shorten the points greatly but never pursued that course and now the wear and tear has taken its toil. 

Still when the end comes he still can look back on many magical moments and great achievements in his career. He should have no regrets. 

On Wednesday, January 02, 2019 at 10:44 AM, min said:

It is sad to watch. His recent interviews are telling - he knows himself it’s probably all over.

Djokovic hammered him in a couple of practice sets yesterday. He never held serve once.

Sad to see his career come to such an abrupt halt, but it seems Andrew Castle was right when he said it's almost impossible to recover from hip surgery. 

On 1/2/2019 at 11:09 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Most likely this will be his last year. As you say it is sad to see him reduced to this but it is a result of the aggressive way he has pushed himself physically and the physical way he played the game. 

He always looked to grind a player down out-manoeuveuring them in long rallies. He did have potential to shorten the points greatly but never pursued that course and now the wear and tear has taken its toil. 

Still when the end comes he still can look back on many magical moments and great achievements in his career. He should have no regrets. 

I've got great memories of him playing. When he first won the US Open, I tried phoning my gran after 2nd set to see if she was watching, and she wasn't answering. Tried a couple of times , panicked ran up to her house went in and she was sitting sleeping with headphones on with susan boyle blaring. Ended up watching him win up there.

That Gasquet match as well.

Plus he is sort of breaking down when he should instead of lasting forever like a lot of other modern players , so personally that gives me a bit of peace of mind.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Just announced he is retiring after Wimbledon.

Well it may even be after the Australian Open. Sad news but inevitable and sensible. He is in no fit shape now to be competitive and playing through pain. 

A sad end to a wonderful career. Nobody can take away from him the great achievements (too many to mention) he has made in tennis.