Tennis 2017 - Page 18 - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tennis 2017

min

Andy Murray is back. He has announced he will make his long-awaited comeback at Queen's next week.

For me the key thing will be how does he move? If he can get through his match or matches unscathed and in no discomfort it is good news. The next phase will be shaking off the rust then getting match fit and building confidence and re-establishing himself. That will take months before he is back in contention for titles and a distant dream at present. Best of luck Andy.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

How long exactly was he out?

Brazilian lefthander Thomaz Bellucci hasn’t played since September, ostensibly because of an Achilles tendon injury.

But it turns out that the former top-25 player was serving a doping suspension, and no one knew it.

Brazilian tennis player Thomaz Bellucci has revealed that he is currently undertaking a silent ban after testing positive for hydrochlorothiazide, a substance that can be used as a masking agent, at the Swedish Open in Bastad back in July.

https://www.vavel.com/en-us/tennis-usa/2018/01/04/864296-thomaz-bellucci-received-five-month-silent-ban-after-failed-drugs-test.html

I thought ITF weren't using silent bans since 2016 anymore.

"but we are using a London-based society in order to handle the whole administrative aspects of positive tests."

Edited by phart

On 6/22/2018 at 5:56 PM, phart said:

How long exactly was he out?

Brazilian lefthander Thomaz Bellucci hasn’t played since September, ostensibly because of an Achilles tendon injury.

But it turns out that the former top-25 player was serving a doping suspension, and no one knew it.

Brazilian tennis player Thomaz Bellucci has revealed that he is currently undertaking a silent ban after testing positive for hydrochlorothiazide, a substance that can be used as a masking agent, at the Swedish Open in Bastad back in July.

https://www.vavel.com/en-us/tennis-usa/2018/01/04/864296-thomaz-bellucci-received-five-month-silent-ban-after-failed-drugs-test.html

I thought ITF weren't using silent bans since 2016 anymore.

"but we are using a London-based society in order to handle the whole administrative aspects of positive tests."

About 11 months in total and it was well-documented it was a hip problem and had an operation on it. Was down to play the US Open last September but the injury forced him out the day before it started.

Andy Murray won his first match in 11 months yesterday beating Stan Wawrinka 6-1 6-3 at Eastbourne. He moved well and hit the ball nicely, served better than V Kyrgios although needs to build on his physical fitness. Excellent win and plays Kyle Edmund in the Second Round tomorrow.

I do find all this will he/won't he play Wimbledon a bit tiresome. At the end of the day he has zero chance of winning it due to his rustiness and lack of physical conditioning and stamina. Therefore it is pretty immaterial about whether he plays Wimbledon or not. Personally, IF and that is still a big if, the hip problem does not resurface I think it will take Andy a few months to get his match sharpness back to a place where he can contend for the big titles again. His goal will be to have a long uninjured run and give him a chance to rebuild match fitness and climb back up the rankings and perhaps win a lesser tournament or two before the end of the year. If he does that he'll feel ready to perhaps mount a challenge in 2019 for bigger tournaments.

56 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Andy Murray won his first match in 11 months yesterday beating Stan Wawrinka 6-1 6-3 at Eastbourne. He moved well and hit the ball nicely, served better than V Kyrgios although needs to build on his physical fitness. Excellent win and plays Kyle Edmund in the Second Round tomorrow.

I do find all this will he/won't he play Wimbledon a bit tiresome. At the end of the day he has zero chance of winning it due to his rustiness and lack of physical conditioning and stamina. Therefore it is pretty immaterial about whether he plays Wimbledon or not. Personally, IF and that is still a big if, the hip problem does not resurface I think it will take Andy a few months to get his match sharpness back to a place where he can contend for the big titles again. His goal will be to have a long uninjured run and give him a chance to rebuild match fitness and climb back up the rankings and perhaps win a lesser tournament or two before the end of the year. If he does that he'll feel ready to perhaps mount a challenge in 2019 for bigger tournaments. 

Agree with all of that. The last thing Andy's body needs at the moment is five set matches - best to skip Wimbledon this year and continue with a measured return. However, I think he will play. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Anyone done the Wimbledon queue before? I'm planning on doing it on Friday. Any tips? 

@vanderark14

I've do it once, like you I went on the first Friday of the tournament. We got there for 4am and there was already a reasonable sized queue forming. When we got there we got tikets to court 2 and a ground pass, basically any court except the two show courts. Having been to the show courts at the french and US opens I was initially disappointed but I ended up enjoying it more than the the other two events. 

If you want to guarantee centre or court 1 tickets, get a tent and do the all night queue.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I've do it once, like you I went on the first Friday of the tournament. We got there for 4am and there was already a reasonable sized queue forming. When we got there we got tikets to court 2 and a ground pass, basically any court except the two show courts. Having been to the show courts at the french and US opens I was initially disappointed but I ended up enjoying it more than the the other two events. 

If you want to guarantee centre or court 1 tickets, get a tent and do the all night queue.

Thanks for the info, VDA. We're only really going for ground passes, to be honest. Not prepared to sleep rough for the night just to watch tennis :lol:. We're planning on being there at around 5am, so should hopefully get in okay.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There should be but there is a sordid fascination about this. I'd say play until 12-12 in the fifth then play a tie-break.

I agree. Makes me think of the early boxing matches in history that could last for 50-100 rounds (or more?).

1 minute ago, phart said:

So Isner has been involved in the two longest matches in Wimbledon history, and the one a few years back must be the longest match in history it went on for like 3 days.

Yes you do have to feel sorry for him but full credit to Anderson. He won with grace and liked his reaction as well. To be honest he was the one pushing more frequently for the break of serve in that final set.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd say play until 12-12 in the fifth then play a tie-break.

I completely agree. I was thinking 12-12 too because it just sounds right when it's double the amount of games that you would normally play a tie-break at (e.g. 6-6)

If someone hasn't managed to break serve and win by then, they've had long enough, so go to a tie-break. That was madness today. No good for the players, doubt most people in the crowd or watching on TV would have liked it, and it messed up the timings for the next match. The tennis authorities need to act now and make sure it doesn't happen again.

17 minutes ago, George Saint said:

I completely agree. I was thinking 12-12 too because it just sounds right when it's double the amount of games that you would normally play a tie-break at (e.g. 6-6)

If someone hasn't managed to break serve and win by then, they've had long enough, so go to a tie-break. That was madness today. No good for the players, doubt most people in the crowd or watching on TV would have liked it, and it messed up the timings for the next match. The tennis authorities need to act now and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Yes I like the Gladiator-esqueness of a fight to the finish but it just impacts too much on too many things. Fitness for following match for the winner and messes schedules up for those waiting to get on court.