Glenlivet and best whisky - Page 12 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glenlivet and best whisky

On 7/16/2021 at 5:04 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Bought a bottle of Auchentoshan as found it very smooth

unfortunately consumed after a heavy red wine night

grape & grain schoolboy error i know ; but all that was left in cabinet

Ooft yer poor coupon 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 1:28 AM, Debian said:

Luckily me, the wife and my old man are all members of of group.  

A max of 1,400 bottles and at Cask Strength.  One will be going straight to auction.  

Found 2007 in the US - Managed to get Distributor to release from their warehouse to a local store - my mate has around 30-40 Daftmill of various releases, and mix of sherry casks etc    -

• 5 months later...

Looking to buy a cask for an investment, anyone went down this road previously? I am a bit apprehensive as i have heard there are a few dodgy dealer on the go. I does however it apears to be a brilliant investment and its like buying liquid gold. Scotland seems to be running out of whisky fast and they are outselling what they are producing year after year. Time to dip my feet in the water i think 

16 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Looking to buy a cask for an investment, anyone went down this road previously? I am a bit apprehensive as i have heard there are a few dodgy dealer on the go. I does however it apears to be a brilliant investment and its like buying liquid gold. Scotland seems to be running out of whisky fast and they are outselling what they are producing year after year. Time to dip my feet in the water i think 

You might want to check out this lot. New kids on the block.

https://raasaydistillery.com/raasay-whisky/

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 11:22 AM, Orraloon said:

You might want to check out this lot. New kids on the block.

https://raasaydistillery.com/raasay-whisky/

cheers for that, i am just in the process of buying a Tobermory 1 year old cask which set me back just under 4k,,  the projected returns are massive on it. Obviously there an element of risk in this however i cant see any circumstances where it will not match inflation.. my intention is to leave it for 20 years. if i dont increase my investment ten fold by then i will be disappointed

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 2:28 AM, hampden_loon2878 said:

cheers for that, i am just in the process of buying a Tobermory 1 year old cask which set me back just under 4k,,  the projected returns are massive on it. Obviously there an element of risk in this however i cant see any circumstances where it will not match inflation.. my intention is to leave it for 20 years. if i dont increase my investment ten fold by then i will be disappointed

What's your all costs including bottling, storage, over 20 years?

2 hours ago, Debian said:

What's your all costs including bottling, storage, over 20 years?

storage and insurance are 60 pounds a year, bottling can vary, it depends on who you got to. the best way to make money is to sell it back to the distillery or sell it at auction, that way you dont have to pay a lot tax

On 3/11/2022 at 4:53 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

storage and insurance are 60 pounds a year, bottling can vary, it depends on who you got to. the best way to make money is to sell it back to the distillery or sell it at auction, that way you dont have to pay a lot tax

i looked into it a little bit a year back and thought the bottling and tax made it a bit expensive, so it would have to be a good quality whisky to make it worthwhile  - recall a few stories of people way overpaying on casks through brokers, and were not even sitting in warehouse of the distiller but elsewhere  

A max of 1,400 bottles and at Cask Strength.  One will be going straight to auction.  

did you get all your bottles ?  I bought a few more cases of 2006 in USA in November 

• 2 weeks later...

i just bought a couple cases of 2006 Daftmill USA release to clean out the distributors warehouse 

Have quite a few Macallan Edition 2,3,4,5 this side as well 

Let’s be honest - whisky is howling!  Marketed to make us think it’s something suave and inspirational that makes us intellectual. When in fact, it’s just rotten. Better aff with a couple of Smirnoff Ice, Blue WKD or Bacardi Breezers. 

Good that Scotland gets the benefit of conning folk to this fact and profits from exporting around the world though. 🙂

8 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Let’s be honest - whisky is howling!  Marketed to make us think it’s something suave and inspirational that makes us intellectual. When in fact, it’s just rotten. Better aff with a couple of Smirnoff Ice, Blue WKD or Bacardi Breezers. 

Good that Scotland gets the benefit of conning folk to this fact and profits from exporting around the world though. 🙂

Sounds like you are addicted to sugar. Every bit as bad as alcohol. 😉

Edited by Orraloon

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Had way too many haufs of Redbreast tonight at the brother in laws. 15yr old. Best whiskey (with the extra 'e') i think i've ever drank

personally i steer clear of Irish whisky. I haven't tasted one that i like tbh however i have not tasted that one. My bottle at the moment is dalmore 18yr,,, it hasn't disappointed, dalmore is one of those whiskys that fly under the radar a bit,

Re. Irish, I right enjoyed Powers Signature Release Single Pot Still, but it seems to be unavailable now.    (I bookmarked it, so have the name, but not a bottle any more.)

And from peaty internet recommendations, I'll agree that Ardbeg Uigeadail is right tasty.