Glenlivet and best whisky - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glenlivet and best whisky

48 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Did the bairn like it? Start them early, that's what I say.

Haha. She was up half the night. 

Just been in the Bon Accord at Charing X before heading through to Edinburgh, whay a selection. Wish I had the baws to order a £500 nip of Glenlivet 70 year old.  Undoubtedly would be disappointed I say.  

10 minutes ago, Debian said:

Haha. She was up half the night. 

Just been in the Bon Accord at Charing X before heading through to Edinburgh, whay a selection. Wish I had the baws to order a £500 nip of Glenlivet 70 year old.  Undoubtedly would be disappointed I say.  

I've had a fair few conversations on distillery tours about old, ultra-expensive bottles, & the impression I get is that no-one really would know the difference in the real world. If you offered most people (say) a taste from half a dozen £50-£70/bottle single malts & hid a £500 nip in there, other than by luck no-one would pick out the fancy one.

They are generally aimed at collectors (as in probably never to be drunk) & a couple of bottles to take centre stage on display in local pubs for moron tourists (often, I imagine, with appalling prejudice, American) to flash some cash & pretend they know more than they do.

55 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I've had a fair few conversations on distillery tours about old, ultra-expensive bottles, & the impression I get is that no-one really would know the difference in the real world. If you offered most people (say) a taste from half a dozen £50-£70/bottle single malts & hid a £500 nip in there, other than by luck no-one would pick out the fancy one.

They are generally aimed at collectors (as in probably never to be drunk) & a couple of bottles to take centre stage on display in local pubs for moron tourists (often, I imagine, with appalling prejudice, American) to flash some cash & pretend they know more than they do.

According to the Whisky Centre on the Royal mile, the bottles that go for thousands are mostly all bought by Russians..

im talking £5k  plus bottles.

Edited by stocky

2 minutes ago, stocky said:

According to the Whisky Centre on the Royal mile, the bottles that go for thousands are mostly all bought by Russians..

im talking £5k  plus bottles.

I'm guessing that's the collector side of it? I can imagine that happening.

With the Americans, I was thinking more of the bottle in the local pub where someone has obviously been in at some point & 'bought a round'. Whoever it was would be some flashy git with more money than either sense or, probably, taste.

Every time I find a new favourite, they run out :(

Glen Grant 5   (which got me started)

Bailie Nicol Jarvie   (is it coming back?)

Glengoyne 17   (the 18 is inferior IMO and twice the money)

Glen Turret 10   (they probably ruin what stocks they still have/make it by blending it into Grouse)

Bladnoch 10   (distillery closed; now re-opened selling 10X price stuff in perfume bottles)

Old Pulteney WK499   (was an airport special; the expensive 21yo is similar)

Glencadam 15   (disappeared after yon bassa on YouTube made it his whisky of the year)

Get these now before I drink them dry anaw...    Benriach 16,   Aberlour a'Bubadh,   Lagavulin 16,   Tomintoul 14,   Powers Signature.

Have a bottle of Rosebank I inherited from my late Dad.  Looked online and its worth roughly £200.

Anyone tried it?  Its the 12 year old version.  Believe it was a distillery near Falkirk that closed early 90's?

Edited by giblet

26 minutes ago, giblet said:

Have a bottle of Rosebank I inherited from my late Dad.  Looked online and its worth roughly £200.

Anyone tried it?  Its the 12 year old version.  Believe it was a distillery near Falkirk that closed early 90's?

I'm surprised it's only £200 Giblet, as it sounds like a sorely missed distillery... wiki.

However after a look, maybe the price is right, my defunct Bladnoch 10,  I see at £175.   (Mind you that was for regular 43% and mine was cask strength.   Now empty of course.)

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

It's the peat content. Bottles of Octomore are something like 3 times that of Lagavulin. It's a bit of a gimmick.

Aye, sounds like it.

I had a wee check and what they are measuring is the phenols content. 200 ppm of phenols sounds a lot. If I wanted to drink phenols I'd stick to TCP. Much cheaper.:lol:

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, sounds like it.

I had a wee check and what they are measuring is the phenols content. 200 ppm of phenols sounds a lot. If I wanted to drink phenols I'd stick to TCP. Much cheaper.:lol:

To be fair, I think once you get to a certain level then it kind of just tails off. That's my memory of my tour there. I was fairly well on though :lol:

On 8/21/2018 at 11:16 AM, giblet said:

Rosebank distillery is opening back up in 2020, visitor centre also. Ian McLeod distilleries bought it few months back. I've got 2 bottle 16yr old and 1 bottle 12yr old.

2 hours ago, Jon Cutler said:

Rosebank distillery is opening back up in 2020, visitor centre also. Ian McLeod distilleries bought it few months back. I've got 2 bottle 16yr old and 1 bottle 12yr old.

wonder what that will do for the price of our bottles?  A lot of reviews of the whisky say its excellent.  Mine could become endangered one cold winters evening. 😉

5 hours ago, giblet said:

wonder what that will do for the price of our bottles?  A lot of reviews of the whisky say its excellent.  Mine could become endangered one cold winters evening. 😉

What bottle is it? I've a pal who's in to Rosebank who may take it aff yet hands. 

Must admit, this has been an expensive week...

Ardbeg Lord of the Isles 2002

Ardbeg Very Young 1997

Ardbeg Ardbog 

Ardbeg Rollercoaster 

Glenlivet 13 (Taiwan Release) x 2

Macallan Edition 2, 3 and 4

Bruichladdich WMD Yellow Submarine x 2

Now to find somewhere to put it all 🙈

7 minutes ago, Debian said:

Haha.  I've a serious problem 

I could easily develop a serious problem with Ardbeg. I was never a big fan of peated whisky but that changed my mind. I stayed up the road from the Port Ellen maltings a couple of years back & woke up to the smell most mornings (as well as managing to visit every one of the distilleries, plus Jura as well).

On the issue of Islay whiskies, I tried to order a Laphroaig a week or two back when I had the misfortune to find myself in Northampton. The guy spent a good couple of minutes arguing with me that they didn't have that one, even though I could see the bottle & (literally) had to spell it out for him.

40 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Highand Park is a good one.  Been to the distillery in Orkney.  But Jura is my favourite.

Highland Park is a good tour. My grandad sailed out of Scapa Flow many a time during WW1 so I like going there. 

I was sold a tale one time of drunken seagulls that couldn’t take off properly as they lived off spirit-soaked seeds down the hill from the distillery. I’ll be honest, although the gulls looked a bit lacklustre, I wasn’t totally convinced but I would love to think the story is true. 

8 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Highland Park is a good tour. My grandad sailed out of Scapa Flow many a time during WW1 so I like going there. 

I was sold a tale one time of drunken seagulls that couldn’t take off properly as they lived off spirit-soaked seeds down the hill from the distillery. I’ll be honest, although the gulls looked a bit lacklustre, I wasn’t totally convinced but I would love to think the story is true. 

My great uncle is still at Scapa Flow Huddersfield.  On the Royal Oak along with 832 of his colleagues.  Took my granny there in 1999 for the 60th anniversary of the boat going down.  Sad but very poignant.  The German U-Boat commander Hanz Schein went back to Hamburg where Hitler met him and gave him the German Cross.

14 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

My great uncle is still at Scapa Flow Huddersfield.  On the Royal Oak along with 832 of his colleagues.  Took my granny there in 1999 for the 60th anniversary of the boat going down.  Sad but very poignant.  The German U-Boat commander Hanz Schein went back to Hamburg where Hitler met him and gave him the German Cross.

I always find it difficult to imagine the sheer scale of that kind of tragedy. You just can't imagine the horror of it really - I know my grandad was on a couple of ships that were torpedoed, but (as is often the case) you'd never get a word out of him about it, so the stories are now long gone.

I picked up a copy of 'When I Heard The Bell' a few years back when I was on Lewis - the story of HMY Iolaire which (if I remember right) killed more of the male population of Lewis & Harris than the rest of the war combined.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:20 AM, Grim Jim said:

Every time I find a new favourite, they run out :(

Glen Grant 5   (which got me started)

Bailie Nicol Jarvie   (is it coming back?)

Glengoyne 17   (the 18 is inferior IMO and twice the money)

Glen Turret 10   (they probably ruin what stocks they still have/make it by blending it into Grouse)

Bladnoch 10   (distillery closed; now re-opened selling 10X price stuff in perfume bottles)

Old Pulteney WK499   (was an airport special; the expensive 21yo is similar)

Glencadam 15   (disappeared after yon bassa on YouTube made it his whisky of the year)

Get these now before I drink them dry anaw...    Benriach 16,   Aberlour a'Bubadh,   Lagavulin 16,   Tomintoul 14,   Powers Signature.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the story with aberlour abundh? I thought this was a standard produce of the brand which had “limitless”supply?