Glenlivet and best whisky - Page 10 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glenlivet and best whisky

Caravan season open yesterday means whisky season where the missus doesn't mind me partaking imbibing a few drams, open now are a Bunnahabhain 12, Cardhu gold, Aberlour 12 and my current favourite Dalwhinnie Winter Gold. All bought just before Xmas when they were between £20 and £25 in the supermarkets. All up at £40 there about now..cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I quite like the Nikka Coffey Japanese malt and was given a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel as a gift so was quite looking forward to cracking it open.  Had a dram from it last weekend and it's rank rotten.  It'll be kept in the cupboard for "special occasions" (visitors that I don't really like!).

I had a Ardmore 10YO from "That Boutiquey Whisky Company" last night (I got a pack of 12 30ml different samplers for Christmas).  Affirmed my dislike for peated whiskies unfortunately, just don't enjoy them.

While not a Whisky, the 3YO James E Pepper rye whiskey finished in Oloroso casks from the pack was a real treat!
I do like a sherried whisky though.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:36 AM, Fairbairn said:

I quite like the Nikka Coffey Japanese malt and was given a bottle of Nikka From The Barrel as a gift so was quite looking forward to cracking it open.  Had a dram from it last weekend and it's rank rotten.  It'll be kept in the cupboard for "special occasions" (visitors that I don't really like!).

Think so? I had a bottle of it and was very sad when I finished it! Couple of drops of water and it's good to go. I'm pretty mad into any whisky from Japan though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 4:45 AM, euan2020 said:

Anyone been drinking Daftmill ? 

https://www.daftmill.com/

I managed to get 2x of the sherry release from Berry Bro Rudd and have the most recent summer and winter releases.  Owner Alex Cuthbert of Daftmill alps runs the FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/373712386872/

On 1/25/2020 at 11:36 AM, Fairbairn said:

My wife life Nikka, last 3 bottlesI've bought her are Nikka from the barrel, Coffey malt and Coffey grain.  For a c£35-40 a bottle you can't complain for a good dram for a cheap price.  

On 2/16/2020 at 9:00 PM, euan2020 said:

nae really - only around 1680 bottles on each release (some 300) - quoe on the bottle is that it is rarer than rocking horse shit  

https://www.tyndrumwhisky.com/daftmill-2005-inaugural-release.html

I had 6 of these that I got at £95 a bottle.  At auction they're not getting the price at Tyndrum but a healthy return.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 11:36 AM, Fairbairn said:

I just came looking for this thread as I got given a bottle of this as a gift, which believe it or not is my first ever bottle of whisky. Might have a dram every so often in the boozer but never bought a bottle in my life.

Page 1 of the whisky guide I suspect, but what's the best way to approach, with or without water?