Glenlivet and best whisky - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glenlivet and best whisky

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'm not much of a whisky drinker but I picked up a Talisker 10yo in the local Co-op in the summer when it was selling off a load of discounted booze - it was allegedly about 40 down to 20 ? Thinking of opening with the FIL after dinner. Any good ?

Aye. Tried it from the coop as well. Really good one. Merry xmas.

Remind me to tell you the story of a trip to Prague many years ago during which myself and my Celtic-supporting mate met a guy who henceforth has always been known as 'The Hun with the Heart of Gold' 😂. Not a Scotland trip but we managed Sparta and Victoria Zizkov games the same trip. Also went to Terezin which was a big eye opener. Not for the faint hearted.

43 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Remind me to tell you the story of a trip to Prague many years ago during which myself and my Celtic-supporting mate met a guy who henceforth has always been known as 'The Hun with the Heart of Gold' 😂. Not a Scotland trip but we managed Sparta and Victoria Zizkov games the same trip. Also went to Terezin which was a big eye opener. Not for the faint hearted.

I will remind u. Right time for a few drams and songs of scotland. One life tartan army. And if there is one thing we are known for its how to enjoy ourselves. Even if we are a bunch of grumpy cents on here sometimes. Enjoy 🎅

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I only buy stuff that I am planning to drink. Not a collector. I do have a wee collection of miniatures, but I don't suppose they are worth very much?

Au contraire! Depending on the miniature some can be quite pricey.  Macallan miniatures for example.  Have a look on whiskybase as it may have some that you have and give you an indication of the current prices.  

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

My daughter bought me a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail for Xmas. I've been a fan of the standard 10-year-old for a while (following a recommendation on here a few years ago) but apart from a small taster on the distillery tour I've not had this one before.

It's glorious, one of my favourites. I love the 10 but Uigeadail is awesome. Hope you enjoy it.

Tried the An Oa recently but was too sickly sweet for me.

Once had a bottle of 2005 Super Nova which was incredible, had the longest finish of any whisky I've ever drunk.

Currently drink Laphroig PX, which is very nice indeed. Cheers.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:03 PM, beardy said:

It's glorious, one of my favourites. I love the 10 but Uigeadail is awesome. Hope you enjoy it.

Tried the An Oa recently but was too sickly sweet for me.

Once had a bottle of 2005 Super Nova which was incredible, had the longest finish of any whisky I've ever drunk.

Currently drink Laphroig PX, which is very nice indeed. Cheers.

I tried the An Oa at a whisky festival in November and thought it was rancid. I would generally turn it away if I was offered, and I'm a big Ardbeg fan.

Going up to Dalgety Bay in an hour to see friends.  Deciding what whisky to take.  Might get a half bottle of Glenlivet.  Was my favourite years ago.  Top 5:

1 Jura

2 Glenlivet

3 Highland Park

4 Anything else that smells/tastes like whisky except

5 No yon Yank or Irish whiskey

Scotland Forever.

Still counts as the New Year celebrations for me so entitled to get a bit maudlin. Does anyone still drink or serve whisky in,  I suppose, what is, a dram glass (just a whisky glass to me).In the 'olden days' there was always half a dozen of these glasses in the cupboard that came out at New Year. They were tiny, but everyone, poured a half out of thier bottle for the company  into these.(No one had fridges or ice).

Edited by Eisegerwind

On 1/3/2019 at 8:44 PM, Tartan_McCole said:

I tried the An Oa at a whisky festival in November and thought it was rancid. I would generally turn it away if I was offered, and I'm a big Ardbeg fan.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking it was a bit off. 

Off topic but currently drinking tequila over the festive period. What an outstanding drink.

8 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Still counts as the New Year celebrations for me so entitled to get a bit maudlin. Does anyone still drink or serve whisky in,  I suppose, what is, a dram glass (just a whisky glass to me).In the 'olden days' there was always half a dozen of these glasses in the cupboard that came out at New Year. They were tiny, but everyone, poured a half out of thier bottle for the company  into these.(No one had fridges or ice).

I have a few that probably class as dram glasses that I use - mainly branded ones I've got free on distillery tours or that came with a bottle I've bought. I have small Ardbeg & Laphroaig ones but as my hands shake a bit these days I can't really use them easily. I have an Arran tulip glass I like - that came free from a bit of a tasting session at Lochranza & they spent time showing how to use the glass, so I like that one.  I also have a wider-based one from Bowmore. I'm not expert enough or sophisticated enough to be able to tell how much difference the glass makes though.

12 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

I know the ones you mean. Like shot glasses. My folks had a couple with gold trim in the 60s/70s. The men used to drink their blended whisky in bigger tumblers with lemonade (or green ginger) though.   I used the wee glasses for my grannies' ginger wine.

9 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I know the ones you mean. Like shot glasses. My folks had a couple with gold trim in the 60s/70s. The men used to drink their blended whisky in bigger tumblers with lemonade (or green ginger) though.   I used the wee glasses for my grannies' ginger wine.

It was pouring the ginger wine into a largish tumbler that reminded me of the small whisky glasses that we also used for ginger wine.

19 hours ago, beardy said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking it was a bit off. 

Off topic but currently drinking tequila over the festive period. What an outstanding drink.

My brother bought me a bottle of Jose Cuervo - Reserva de Famalia Extra Anejo a wee squeeze of fresh grapefruit juice absolutely beautiful. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:57 AM, bonzo said:

My brother bought me a bottle of Jose Cuervo - Reserva de Famalia Extra Anejo a wee squeeze of fresh grapefruit juice absolutely beautiful. 

I've been drinking Casamigos (George Clooneys brand) with home made sangrita. Really enjoyed it.

Tried the Resposado and Anejo both very very good.

Would never have a Bloody Mary again would only have it with tequila now.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, Orraloon said:

Is the current 30 YO likely to still be the same stuff? 

I think their 29 YO last year was £40. Could they all be the same whisky but just bottled in different years?

I bought one. It’s definitely not Glenfarclas. 

Wasnt impressed, flat, oaky wooden taste that doesn’t stick around. Bottling a 30yo whisky at 40%abv is criminal. 

• 1 month later...