Glenlivet and best whisky - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Glenlivet and best whisky

20 hours ago, The Laud said:

90% of the whisky companies came out in favour of a no vote in the referendum.Can anyone give a list of them please.

Im sure grouse and glenmorangie are yoon whiskys.I would hate to think they were making money off me.

Pretty sure the only large Scottish-owned firm was "No", and that's Grant & Sons who make Glenfiddich.

Springbank independent distillery was certainly "Yes" :lol:

10830856_790893054286533_428288780440523

• 8 months later...
On 05/12/2016 at 2:40 PM, Grim Jim said:

That's because it is cask strength, or at least stronger than most.   Certainly needs a tiny dash of water.

Bought a bottle a few weeks back, i don't usually take anything in my whisky but had a bit of ice in her just to dilute it a bit,,, 

I cant see past jura, superstition,,, fantastic whisky 

On 05/12/2016 at 1:21 PM, scoobydoo said:

I think Laphroaig 15 is/ was my favourite, 50/50 with room temperature water.

May as well have the water then, much cheaper.

Im not a fan of the really peaty Islay malts, one is fine but can't drink a lot. Mcalan of any sort is always a safe bet. Highland park and Jura are easy going. Always try to drink different malts when I'm out and about. Dalwhinnie is lovely too

7 hours ago, Kirk said:

Im not a fan of the really peaty Islay malts, one is fine but can't drink a lot. Mcalan of any sort is always a safe bet. Highland park and Jura are easy going. Always try to drink different malts when I'm out and about. Dalwhinnie is lovely too

With the peaty malts, i find a single nip is enough for me,, I couldn't imagine sitting drinking Laphroaig all night the aftertaste is  a bit overpowering although i do enoy a nip here and there

i am not usually into blends but whilst traveling through schipole we went into the johnie walker bar and tried out a few of their blends, it surprised me how much i enjoyed them,, 

I've been into the peatier malts for a while now, but my daughter bought me a bottle of Scapa for my birthday which I'm enjoying. I have drunk a bit of it before (including one night in my local that is still fondly talked about), but I think it's improved over the last few years. Anyway, it's a nice change from the stash of Islay's finest that I've just finished off.

I'm a member of the whisky society in Edinburgh. 3 venues with shit loads of malts. The Leith venue is my favourite.    

As for favourite brand, Jura for me.

I do own a fairly expensive whisky. A bottle of Rosebank from a now defunct lowland distillery. Inherited from my late Dad.

Lidl are currently doing a  Tamnavulin special offer. It's the first bottling under the Tamnavulin name for about 20 years. Some folk are put off by the fact that it doesn't have an age specified, and it does have a lot of caramel flavour to it, which some folk don't like. But at £19.99 a bottle it's worth a try.

This might have been mentioned elsewhere, but I've heard that whisky without an age statement is starting to become more common, but also is pretty controversial. I'm not that clued in, nor that sophisticated in my tasting ability to understand the issues though. I tend to apply the Yorkshire tasting approach of either "it'll do" or "what the bloody hell do you call that".

50 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

This might have been mentioned elsewhere, but I've heard that whisky without an age statement is starting to become more common, but also is pretty controversial. I'm not that clued in, nor that sophisticated in my tasting ability to understand the issues though. I tend to apply the Yorkshire tasting approach of either "it'll do" or "what the bloody hell do you call that".

For many Whisky gurus (that's not me) it's important to know the history of the stuff they are drinking. They like to know when it was made, when it was bottled, where it was bottled and by whom. The Tamnavulin, I mentioned, is owned by Whyte and Mackay and that name in itself is enough to put some people off. Some folk will have decided it will be a bit shit before they have even opened the bottle. I like to smell it, taste it then drink it first before deciding. I have never yet found a malt which I think is undrinkable.;)

The Isle of Jura, mentioned by a lot of folk on this thread, is also owned by Whyte and Mackay.

The main reason for NSA whisky is the increase in demand, coupled with the time for the premier brands to mature, 8, 10 12 yaers etc. The distilleries have all increased output fairly dramatically in the last few years, and are producing these NSA varieties to keep the money coming in, while their top brands are maturing.

1 hour ago, jailender said:

The main reason for NSA whisky is the increase in demand, coupled with the time for the premier brands to mature, 8, 10 12 yaers etc. The distilleries have all increased output fairly dramatically in the last few years, and are producing these NSA varieties to keep the money coming in, while their top brands are maturing.

is the correct answer

Having to pick one I would go with the Aberlour 16, but being a bit cheap think Johnny walker, monkey shoulder and Ballantines blends are good value.  Also picked up asda finest islay or something the other day which was cheap and drinkable.

My tastebuds may be maturing though, I have an old bottle of laphroaig that I hated but its been coming out of the cupboard more and more recently.

I tried Talisker for the first time last month there. It smelt revolting to me (like old plimsolls) but it tasted totally different and was a fine dram.

Tend to avoid the Island Malts usually. The Iodine thing usually gives me the boak,

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:47 PM, giblet said:

I'm a member of the whisky society in Edinburgh. 3 venues with shit loads of malts. The Leith venue is my favourite.    

As for favourite brand, Jura for me.

I do own a fairly expensive whisky. A bottle of Rosebank from a now defunct lowland distillery. Inherited from my late Dad.

I have a bottle of Rosebank too (21 yo)!  Incredibly, I found it in our new (moved in 3 years ago) house. Previous occupants moved to Oz.  Tried contacting them through selling agent.  No response.  Remains unopened but it's the only one that does so out of the near 100 bottles I have amassed over the years.

Suspect it will be kept for something very special - winning lottery, Dons winning league, Scotland qualifying for a tournament etc, etc! I believe whisky should be drunk and not collected.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:07 AM, Kirk said:

Agree that HP, Dalwhinnie and Jura are all great but they are safe bets.  Try a Mortlach.  Brilliant stuff.